This easy lamb stew recipe is filled with healthy and tasty ingredients. A one pot lamb stew with minimum preparation time is perfect for family meals.
If you’re a fan of lamb recipes, you should totally take a look at our lamb loin chops recipe and stuffed eggplant with lamb and walnuts. Both are ideal family meals, and today we have a classic lamb stew to expand our lamb recipes collection!
Why this lamb stew recipe is a winner?
This is a classic lamb stew recipe that’s perfect for weeknight dinners especially, in chilly weather. The lamb and potatoes go very well together and are flavored with vegetables such as onion and celery. We love making this delicious easy lamb stew in big batches and have it through the week.
What is hearty lamb stew ingredients?
To make a delicious lamb and vegetable stew you need the following ingredients:
- Onions and garlic
Most lamb stews call for wine or beer but this lamb stew recipe is alcohol-free and tastes fantastic. Try using fresh ingredients as they definitely boost the flavor of the stew. You can even prepare some of the ingredients in advance such as chopping the carrots and celery.
How to make lamb stew?
Start with browning the lamb pieces and then saute the vegetables. Make sure to scrape the brown bits at the bottom of the pot since that’s where all the flavor is. After you add all the spices, add beef stock to the pot and stir well. Put the lid on and let the stew cook for about two hours until everything is fully cooked and the broth starts to thicken.
The key to a delicious lamb stew is fresh ingredients and a good amount of spices. Make sure that all the flavors are blended and the stew has simmered long enough.
What cut of lamb is best for lamb stew?
Lamb shoulder is the best cut to make stews as it is full of flavors because it’s the part that has moved a lot. Lamb shoulder takes longer to cook therefor it’s perfect for stews that need to cook for more time.
To learn more check out the ultimate guides to lamb cuts.
Lamb stew slow cooker
You can easily make lamb stew in the slow cooker. First, saute lamb in some olive oil and transfer it to the slow cooker. Next, saute the vegetables in the same pot and transfer to the slow cooker, add in the spices and broth and then cook on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. Once cooked, take the lid off and mix two tablespoons of flour with 1/2 cup broth and return it to the slow cooker, cook for another 30 minutes in high for the broth to thicken.
What to serve with easy lamb stew
You can serve lamb stew with French or Italian bread. You can also serve it on white rice, too. This lamb stew recipe is so easy and goes well with any kind of side even a green salad.
Notes and tips for making this lamb stew recipe
- If beef broth is not available, use vegetable broth or simply water.
- You can leave out the mushrooms if you don’t like to have them in the stew.
- This stew can easily be frozen and reheated again. To reheat the stew, let it thaw in the fridge and then heat it on medium low in a pot.
- For more flavor, you can also add bell peppers.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the stew right before serving for a bit of tanginess.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb Lamb Shoulder Cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 large White Onion Sliced
- 3 stalks Celery chopped
- 2 large Carrots Chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic Minced
- 3 Potatoes Cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 cups Mushrooms Cut into quarters
- 1 tsp Salt More if needed
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 5 cups Beef Broth
- 1/2 cup Parsley
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.
- Mix lamb and flour in a bowl and saute in the dutch oven until the lamb is brown on the outside.
- Remove the lamb from the dutch oven and saute onions in the same pot until golden brown.
- Add in celery, carrots, garlic and potato to the onion and saute for about 10 minutes.
- Add the lamb back to the dutch oven.
- Add tomato paste, mushrooms, salt, bay leaf, black pepper and turmeric to the lamb and vegetables. Stir well until everything is combined.
- Add in beef broth, stir and cover with the lid.
- Turn the heat to medium low and let it cook for about two hours until the lamb and vegetables are fully cooked.
- Take the lid off and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Top with parsley and serve warm.