This Turkish zucchini stew is hearty, healthy and so easy to make. It's made in one pot and is ready in just 30 minutes.
Vegetables are a big part of Turkish cuisine and they are incorporated into dishes in creative ways. Vegetarian dishes such as Turkish braised leeks, red lentil soup and this zucchini stew are very popular. Like many other Mediterranean recipes, this recipe calls for wholesome ingredients and is very easy to make.
Table Of Contents:
Why this recipe works
A well known category in Turkish cuisine is zeytinyağlı yemekler which translates to dishes made with olive oil. This zucchini stew, also known as kabak yemegi is a recipe from this category that many love. Just like our favorite Turkish chicken stew, this dish is loved by many and there are good reasons for it:
- Quick: This dish is ready in 30 minutes and most of it is hands-off.
- Vegetarian: If you're following a vegetarian diet, this would be a filling dish for lunch or dinner. If you're interested in vegetarian recipes with zucchini, make sure to check out our zucchini fritters as well.
- Flavors: While this might seem like a simple zucchini recipe, it's full of flavor thanks to spices and vegetables.
- Healthy: everything is cooked in a good amount of olive oil which make it very hearty and good for you. Similar to fasolakia (Greek green beans), this zucchini stew is a vegetable based dish that can be served as a main or side dish.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil: Quality extra virgin olive oil works best for this recipe.
- Zucchini: You can use green or yellow zucchini for this recipe. You don't need to peel the zucchini therefore make sure to wash it thoroughly.
- Tomato paste: Because tomato paste is pretty concentrated, you only need a tablespoon of it for this recipe.
- Rice: Medium grain rice works best here but if it's not available, you can use basmati rice.
- Cut the zucchini into half moons and set aside.
- Sauté onion and garlic in some olive oil over medium heat.
- Add in the tomato paste and cook for a few minutes so it releases its color and aroma.
- Add in the zucchini and cook for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the rice and add it to the zucchini. Add in the spices and water. Bring it to a low simmer, cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
Turkish zucchini stew is usually served with a dollop of plain yogurt (try our homemade yogurt) and some herbs. You can try making yogurt at home using your instant pot. This zucchini stew can also be served as a side dish with grilled zaatar chicken, baked cod or beef shish kabob.
If serving stewed zucchini as a main dish, serve it with a side of tomato salad, Greek salad or Mediterranean salad for a complete meal.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can add ground beef or chunks of chicken breast to this recipe. If doing so, brown the beef or chicken with the onion before adding the tomato paste, then proceed with the recipe.
Yes, you can make this recipe up to a day ahead of time and reheat it before serving.
This dish keeps well in the fridge. Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
You can add chopped tomatoes to this dish with the zucchini. I don't recommend adding any other vegetables because the beauty of this dish is in its simplicity.
Freezing zucchini stew
Store the zucchini stew in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw it in the fridge overnight or place it directly in a pot and heat over medium until it's simmering.
More Turkish recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Turkish Zucchini Stew Recipe
- 2 zucchinis
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup medium grain rice
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cups water
- Wash the zucchini and cut it into half moons.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Sauté onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for a minute. Add in the zucchini and give it a good stir.
- Rinse the rice under running water a few times.
- Add the rice, salt and pepper. Add the water and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Top with yogurt and serve.
- You can serve zucchini stew as a main dish with a side of salad or some bread.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- To freeze, place the stew in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw in the fridge overnight or place it in a pot and heat over medium heat.
- You can add chopped tomato to this dish as well.
Spices are mentioned, but I can't see these in the ingredients list. Which do you you use?
We use Aleppo pepper, salt and black pepper. You can also add cumin, but it's optional.
Jennifer Anne Uzunoglu
Can you use marrow instead of zucchini?
You can use almost any kind of squash, however, flavor and cooking time would vary.
Love this recipe! Easy to make and super flavorful. Great way to use up all my zucchini too!
Loving the savory flavors in this Turkish Stew. It's a great way to have more veggies using the zucchinis too!
This stew looks healthy and so delicious! A great to use up some zucchini.
This recipe makes such a quick and easy soup! It was super warming, and I love how healthy it is. I'll definitely make this again.
This is my dream stew right here!! I am definitely going to try this over the weekend, thank you so much for the recipe 🙂
Delicious. I added some Urfa Biber for a little kick. Will make this again!