Parmesan baked cod is very easy to make. Tender cod fillets are coated with a parmesan and spice combination and baked to perfection. You can serve this dish with appetizing side dishes such as brown rice or a simple salad.
Cod is one of my favorite types of fish to work with because of its flavor and texture. You can easily turn it to fish curry or pan sear it for a fancy dinner or simply bake it like this Turkish style cod (that tomato sauce is everything!). Today, I’m going to show you one of the easiest cod recipes: this parmesan baked cod requires just a few ingredients and a few minutes to prepare and is unbelievably flaky and tasty!
Why this recipe works
- A healthy choice: Fish and seafood have a special place in the Mediterranean diet and it’s advisable to consume them once or twice a week. I love playing with different seafoods in the kitchen and trying new flavors with each!
- Easy to make: This cod recipe is one of the easiest seafood recipes you will ever try. First, parmesan is mixed with a number of Mediterranean spices. Then, cod is coated with this parmesan combination and baked in the oven until flaky and tender. Finally, it’s plated with brown rice and topped with fresh parsley as garnish.
- Simple ingredients: Even though the ingredients are simple and the steps are quite straightforward, this dish is ridiculously delicious and every bite is a feast of flavors. Also, it’s naturally gluten free and conveniently made with just one sheet pan.
What does cod taste like?
Cod has a mild flavor and a delicate texture. It’s lean and consists of large, tender flakes. This fish is perfect for baking and, because of its mild flavors, it's easy to adjust the recipe. You can serve it with many side dishes. I think that brown rice pairs especially well with cod!
As I mentioned before, this simple cod recipe calls for just a few ingredients:
- Cod: You can use fresh or frozen cod for this cod for this recipe. If using frozen, make sure to thaw it completely per the packaging instructions before you start cooking.
- Olive oil: Extra virgin olive oil would work best.
- Parmesan cheese: Grated parmesan cheese add so much flavor to this dish.
- Spices: including paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Make sure not to add too much salt since parmesan is already salty.
- Make the parmesan combination: In a small bowl, mix grated parmesan with paprika, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Prepare the cod: Brush the cod pieces with olive oil and coat them with the parmesan mixture. Make sure they're covered well on all sides. Place them on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake in the oven: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Bake in the oven until flaky and fully cooked.
What I love the most about this recipe is that it's so simple: literally anyone can make it! And, it's ready in less than 30 minutes. It's definitely one of my favorite fish recipes.
There are many side dishes that you can serve with parmesan cod. For a light side dish, try our Mediterranean salad or cucumber tomato feta salad. If you’re looking for starchier sides, Mediterranean potato salad or instant pot brown rice can be a good option.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can tweak the spices to your liking. If you'd like the fish to be spicy, add some cayenne pepper. I've tried adding dried dill and loved it as well.
The fish should be firm and flake easily when baked completely. But make sure not to overcook it because it'll lose its tender texture.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Looking for more fish and seafood recipes?
- Pan seared salmon with tomatoes and spinach
- Baked salmon with lemon
- Baked shrimp in chermoula sauce
- Salmon marinade Mediterranean style
- Baked Pesto salmon
Easy Parmesan Baked Cod Recipe
- 1 cup parmesan grated
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lb cod fillet cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat it with a cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix parmesan with paprika, dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Brush the cod fillets with olive oil on all sides.
- Coat each fillet with the parmesan mixture, make sure that the fillets are coated well on all sides.
- Place the fillets on the baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the fish is completely cooked and flakes easily.
- Serve with brown rice or a side salad.
- You can use fresh or frozen cod for this recipe. If using frozen, make sure to thaw it completely according to the packaging.
- It's best to serve this dish right away. However, if you have leftovers, store it in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- You can serve parmesan baked cod with starchy sides such as Mediterranean potato salad, instant pot brown rice or with a simple Mediterranean salad.
- It's possible to jazz the spice mix up by adding ½ teaspoon turmeric, cayenne pepper or 1 teaspoon dried dill.