Parmesan baked cod is simple and easy to make. Tender cod fillets are coated with a parmesan and spice combination and baked to perfection. You can serve this dish with appetizing side dishes such as brown rice or a simple salad.
Cooking cod at home
Fish and seafood have a special place in the Mediterranean diet and it’s advisable to consume them once or twice a week. I love playing with different seafoods in the kitchen and trying new flavors with each!
Cod is one of my favorite types of fish to work with because of its flavor and texture. You can easily turn it to curry or pan sear it for a fancy dinner. An easy way to cook cod is to simply bake it, which we’ve discussed in my post on Turkish style cod (that tomato sauce is everything!). Today, I’m going to show you one of the easiest cod recipes: this parmesan baked cod requires just a few ingredients and a few minutes to prepare and is unbelievably flaky and tasty!
What does cod taste like?
Cod has a mild flavor and a delicate texture. It’s lean and consists of large, tender flakes. This fish is perfect for baking and, because of its mild flavors, it’s easy to adjust the recipe. You can serve it with many side dishes. I think that brown rice pairs especially well with cod!
Baked parmesan crusted cod
This cod recipe is one of the easiest seafood recipes you will ever try. First, parmesan is mixed with a number of Mediterranean spices. Then, cod is coated with this parmesan combination and baked in the oven until flaky and tender. Finally, it’s plated with brown rice and topped with fresh parsley as garnish.
Even though the ingredients are simple and the steps are quite straightforward, this dish is ridiculously delicious and every bite is a feast of flavors. Also, it’s naturally gluten free and conveniently made with just one sheet pan.
As I mentioned before, this simple cod recipe calls for just a few ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- Spices: paprika, oregano, salt and pepper
You can use either fresh or frozen cod for this recipe. If using frozen, thaw it according to the packaging and then proceed with the recipe.
How to make parmesan cod
- Make the parmesan combination: In a small bowl, mix grated parmesan with paprika, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Prepare the cod: Brush the cod pieces with olive oil and coat them with the parmesan mixture. Make sure they’re covered well on all sides. Bake in the oven at 400°F until flaky and fully cooked.
What I love the most about this recipe is that it’s so simple: literally anyone can make it! And, it’s ready in less than 30 minutes. It’s definitely one of my favorite fish recipes.
What to serve on the side
There are many side dishes that you can serve with parmesan cod. For a light side dish, try our Mediterranean salad or cucumber tomato feta salad. If you’re looking for starchier sides, Mediterranean potato salad or instant pot brown rice can be a good option.
One final note
This parmesan baked cod recipe is a simple way to add more seafood to your weekly meals. You can even tweak the spices to your liking. I’ve added dried dill to the spice combination and loved the bright flavor it brings. Make sure not to overcook the fish; otherwise it will lose its tenderness.
Looking for more fish and seafood recipes?
Easy Parmesan Baked Cod Recipe
- 1 cup parmesan grated
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 lb cod fillet cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat it with a cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix parmesan with paprika, dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Brush the cod fillets with olive oil on all sides.
- Coat each fillet with the parmesan mixture, make sure that the fillets are coated well on all sides.
- Place the fillets on the baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the fish is completely cooked and flakes easily.
- Serve with brown rice or a side salad.
- You can use fresh or frozen cod for this recipe. If using frozen, make sure to thaw it completely according to the packaging.
- It's best to serve this dish right away. However, if you have leftovers, store it in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- You can serve parmesan baked cod with starchy sides such as Mediterranean potato salad, instant pot brown rice or with a simple Mediterranean salad.
- It's possible to jazz the spice mix up by adding 1/2 tsp turmeric or 1 tsp dried dill.