These Greek oven baked fries are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. They’re topped with feta and served with homemade tzatziki.
These Greek fries will instantly become your favorite. Serve them alongside sheet pan chicken or baked salmon fillet for a delicious meal. Read on for more ideas, my instructions and watch the video for a step-by-step tutorial on how to make the best crispy oven baked fries, Greek style!
Greek style baked fries
I love potatoes and I’ve got a few good potato recipes including Mediterranean potato salad, Greek potatoes and skordalia (Greek potato and garlic dip) here on the blog. When it comes to fries, I always choose oven baked ones over deep fried. It’s crispy, light and fresh. The flavors are right there and with a quick Greek twist, you can make the best oven baked fries right at the comfort of your home.
Let me tell you why I’m such a big fan of these Greek fries:
- They’re baked: baked fries are healthier and frankly, easier to make. Just toss the potatoes with some olive oil and you’re halfway there!
- The flavors: The combination of feta, oregano and lemon takes you right to the shores of the Mediterranean. Trust me, you don’t want to miss that.
- A great side dish: These baked fries go with so many dishes and make a quick side dish. More on that below!
Both russet potatoes and yukon gold potatoes work perfectly for baked fries. I love using yukon gold because while the potatoes are super crispy on the outside, they stay very tender and creamy on the inside and that’s just perfect. For the most flavorful baked fries, don’t peel the potatoes.
Extra virgin olive oil all the way! High quality EVOO is not only a healthy choice, but also comes with a lot of flavor for the potatoes.
Adding freshly grated or minced garlic to this recipe makes all the difference. I strongly suggest that you peel the garlic and mince or grate it yourself. Not the packaged minced garlic, not garlic paste or garlic powder, but freshly minced garlic.
The seasoning on these Greek style fries is pretty simple: salt, pepper and dried oregano.
Pro tip: You can opt for other spices such as cumin, coriander, paprika or thyme as well.
The best part! You can top these Greek fries with crumbled feta, chopped parsley, coriander or even dill. Squeeze some lemon juice if you like it a little tangy.
How to make Greek style oven baked fries
Prepare the potatoes
Wash the potatoes thoroughly and then dry them very well. Slice into ¼-inch thick sticks and place them in a large bowl. Add the olive oil, minced garlic and the spices to the potatoes and toss well to make sure every stick is coated.
Bake in the oven
Preheat the oven to 400°F and coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer the potatoes to the sheet pan and spread them into one single layer. Make sure they don’t overlap, this helps with even cooking and crispiness of the potatoes. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until they’re fully cooked and crispy on the outside. Stir and flip the potatoes halfway through so they get crispy.
Place the oven baked fries in a serving platter and top them with crumbled feta, chopped herbs such as parsley and a drizzle of lemon. Serve immediately.
What to serve Greek oven baked fries with
These Greek style fries are perfect with many dishes such as chicken souvlaki, Greek meatballs (keftedes), kofta kebab and marinated salmon. Like any other kind of fries, these ones also need a dipping companion! You can serve them with different dipping sauces like tzatziki sauce or homemade tahini sauce.
These are best eaten right out of the oven and fresh. However, if you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Reheating instructions: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spread the fries on a baking sheet in a single layer and reheat for 10 minutes until hot and crispy.
Greek Oven Baked Fries
- 6 yukon gold potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- ½ cup fresh parsley chopped
- ½ lemon optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Wash and scrub the potatoes thoroughly and then dry them well.
- Slice the potatoes into ¼-inch sticks and place them in a large bowl.
- To the potatoes, add the olive oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper and dried oregano. Toss well to make sure all the potato sticks are well coated.
- Spread the potatoes on the baking sheet in one single layer. Make sure they don't overlap.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Flip the potatoes and then bake for another 15 minutes until they are crispy and golden.
- Once baked, transfer the oven baked fries to a serving platter and top with crumbled feta, chopped parsley. Drizzle with some lemon juice if desired.
- Adding freshly grated or minced garlic to this recipe makes all the difference. I strongly suggest that you peel the garlic and mince or grate it yourself. Not the packaged minced garlic, not garlic paste or garlic powder, but freshly minced garlic.
- You can opt for other spices such as cumin, coriander, paprika or thyme as well.
- Layering the potatoes in one layer will help with even cooking and crispiness.
- Reheating instructions: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spread the fries on a baking sheet in a single layer and reheat for 10 minutes until hot and crispy.