The best homemade salmon burgers! Simple and so delicious, these salmon burgers are made with real ingredients and are ready in no time. You can make them indoors or outdoors and serve them with your favorite fixings.
Salmon is such a versatile fish and there are many ways to prepare it. You can grill salmon fillets, turn it into salmon shish kabob or make my popular baked salmon for a delicious dinner. This salmon burgers recipe is another favorite that we make often.
Table Of Contents:
Why You Should Try This Recipe
- Made with real ingredients: These burgers are made with fresh salmon and not canned, guaranteeing proper salmon flavor!
- Easy: Blend, shape and cook! Simple recipes are my jam and these salmon burgers definitely deliver!
- Healthy: Salmon is packed with Omega-3 and healthy fats, making this a healthier choice for a burger night!
Tips To Make The Best Salmon Burgers
- Choose Fresh Salmon: Opt for fresh, high-quality salmon fillets. Wild-caught salmon tends to have better flavor and texture compared to farm-raised.
- Don't overmix: You want the burgers to have texture. When mixing the ingredients in the food processor, make sure to blend just enough to combine so you'd be able to form the burgers, otherwise the burgers will be mushy.
- Don't overcook: These burgers need about 4 minutes on each side to cook completely. The internal temperature should register at 145 degrees F.
Salmon Burgers Ingredients
- Salmon: Make sure the salmon is skinless and the bones are removed. Wild-caught is always better however farm-raised salmon works just fine.
- Red onion: You need about ½ of a red onion, this adds a lot of flavor and enough moisture to keep the burgers juicy.
- Dill: I love the combination of dill and salmon, the flavors go so well together and it adds some fresh flavor!
- Dijon mustard: If you love my dijon salmon recipe, you know the flavors work so well together. We're bringing the same flavor profile to the burgers as well.
- Spices: A combination of paprika, cumin, coriander and salt is all you need.
- Breadcrumbs: Use this as a binder to make sure the burgers don't fall apart when cooking. You can use gluten-free breadcrumbs or almond flour if desired.
- Yogurt garlic sauce: These salmon burgers are served with a delicious Mediterranean style garlic yogurt sauce made with whole milk yogurt, minced garlic, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper. You can use dairy-free yogurt as long as it's plain and not flavored.
How To Make Salmon Burgers
- Cut the salmon into chunks and place it in the food processor with the red onion, dill, dijon mustard, spices and breadcrumbs.
- Blend for about 30 seconds until the ingredients are combined but the mixture isn't mushy.
- Divide the mixture into 6 pieces and shape each piece into burger patties. It's best to wet your hands so the mixture doesn't stick to your hands. Gently press the middle of the burgers with your index finger to make an indentation.
- Place the burgers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by mixing all the ingredients and preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Grill the salmon burgers for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until completely cooked. Toast the buns as well.
- Assemble the burgers with the garlic yogurt sauce, tomatoes, onion and lettuce.
- Binders: Use almond flour, crushed crackers or panko breadcrumbs instead of regular breadcrumbs.
- Seasoning: If you'd like the burgers to be spicy, add a bit of cayenne pepper to the mixture.
- Herbs: Leave out the dill and use green onions or parsley instead.
- No grill? No problem: You can make these salmon burgers on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet or a regular nonstick skillet if desired. Make sure to brush the bottom of the pan with some olive oil.
- Toppings: Get creative with your toppings! Some of our favorites are sumac onion, pickles, caramelized onion, crispy onion, avocado and a squeeze of lemon!
Storage And Freezing
Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in a pan or in the oven and assemble with your favorite toppings.
You can also freeze cooked salmon burgers. Wrap each burger individually in a plastic wrap, transfer them all to a freezer safe plastic bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw in the fridge overnight or reheat directly from frozen in the oven.
To freeze uncooked salmon burgers, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for 2 hours or until they are completely solid. Transfer them to a freezer safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To cook, take the burgers out of the bag and onto a lined baking sheet. Thaw in the refrigerator for a few hours and then proceed with the cooking instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions
It's best to make these salmon burgers right before serving so they are warm and juicy. However, you can make the burger mixture up to 6 hours in advance and keep the patties in the fridge, covered with a plastic wrap.
Salmon has high quality protein as well as omega-3 fatty acids, so yes, these burgers are pretty healthy.
I prefer not to have melty cheese on salmon burger because I want the salmon flavor to shine on its own. However, if you'd like to use some cheese, I recommend adding 2 tablespoons crumbled feta to the mixture.
You can use frozen salmon to make salmon burgers. Make sure it's frozen completely before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients.
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Salmon Burgers Recipe
- 1 ½ lb salmon skinless
- ½ red onion
- ½ fresh dill
- 1 ½ tsp dijon salmon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 clove garlic
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dill
Salmon Burger Fixings
- Red onion
- Place the salmon, red onion. dill, dijon mustard, paprika, cumin, coriander, breadcrumbs and salt in the bowl of a food processor and blend for about 30 seconds until combined.
- Wet your hands with cold water and divide the mixture into 6 pieces. Gently form each piece into patties and press the middle to make a small indentation.
- Place the burgers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium high.
- Make the yogurt garlic sauce by mixing the yogurt, minced garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice and dill in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Once your ready to grill, rub half a potato on the grill grates, the starch in the potato makes the grates nonstick. Alternatively, you can brush the grates with olive oil.
- Grill the salmon burgers for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Toast the burger buns and assemble the burgers using the sauce and your preferred fixings.
- You can cook these salmon burgers on the stovetop as well. Heat a pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sear the salmon burgers for 4 to 5 minutes on each side on medium high.
- Get creative with the toppings, we like avocados, pickles, a squeeze of lemon juice and caramelized onions.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To freeze cooked salmon burgers: Wrap each one individually in plastic wrap, transfer them all to a freezer safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To freeze uncooked salmon burgers: form the patties and place them on a lined baking sheet. Freeze for 2 hours or until they are completely frozen and solid. Transfer to a freezer safe bag and freeze for up to 3 months. To cook, take them out of the bag and onto a lined baking sheet, thaw in the fridge for a few hours and cook as instructed.