Learn how to make traditional Greek salad recipe with only a few ingredients. This easy and simple Greek salad comes together in no time and makes a great side dish.
Mediterranean meals need Mediterranean side dishes, right? Delicious dishes like Greek potatoes, Greek chickpea salad and Greek tzatziki are some of our favorites that go well with any dish we’re serving.
The best Greek salad recipe for any day of the week!
Salads are the best side dishes for almost any meal. It’s always easy to put a delicious salad together that doesn’t require a lot of work and ingredients. Fresh vegetables are perfect for making a big bowl of tasty salad that you can serve with lunch or dinner, or simply have it on its own. This is the best Greek salad that you’ll find and you’ll be surprised by how easy and simple it is to put it together!
What is Greek Salad?
Greek salad, also called Horiatiki salad or village salad is a simple salad that only requires a few ingredients. This cucumber salad is probably the most common salad in Greece and surrounding regions and there are similarities between this salad and ones in the Middle East and other parts of the Mediterranean. Authentic Greek salad is served at almost every local and family owned restaurant in Greece as an appetizer or side dish.
Authentic Greek Salad Ingredients
The ingredients used to make a simple and authentic Greek salad recipe are the following:
- Red onion
- Green bell pepper
- Feta cheese (read more on Cook’s Illustrated about feta cheese)
All the ingredients are cut into big chunks, not finely diced. A creamy block of feta brings so much flavor to this salad. There are no leafy greens in the authentic Greek salad therefore you can even chop the ingredients separately ahead of time and make this healthy simple Greek salad right before serving.
As for seasoning, all you need is a pinch of salt, pepper and some oregano. Drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, this healthy Greek salad is one you would want to make over and over again.
How to make Mediterranean Greek salad recipe
Once you have all your ingredients ready, all you need to do is to chop tomatoes and cucumbers into big chunks, cut the kalamata olives in half or just add them whole, slice the red onion thinly, and cut the green bell pepper into rings. You can also cut the green bell pepper into chunks but usually it’s cut into rings for a nice appearance.
Add all the chopped vegetables into a large bowl and then mix well with salt, pepper and oregano. Transfer the vegetables to the serving plate and top with chunks of feta cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and serve cold.
Additions to this easy Greek salad
An authentic Greek salad is simple and easy to make. However, if you like to make a different salad with the base of Greek salad recipe, here are the other ingredients you can add:
- Lettuce: you can use different types of lettuce such as iceburg, butter or romaine.
- Quinoa: cooked red or regular quinoa would work well.
- Beets: pickled or cooked beets are a good addition.
- Artichoke hearts
- Chickpeas: canned chickpeas turn Greek feta and cucumber salad into a full meal.
- Lentils: cooked lentils make a great addition and source of protein.
- Orzo: For a Greek inspired salad or side dish.
Can I make Greek salad ahead of time?
Absolutely! Since there is no lettuce or other leafy greens used in traditional Greek salad recipe, you can easily prepare the vegetables ahead of time and mix them once you’re ready to serve.
What to serve with traditional Greek salad
You can serve Greek cucumber and tomato salad with so many tasty Mediterranean dishes such as Greek meatballs (Keftedes), Eggplant Moussaka or even shish tawook chicken kabob. Greek salad is such a delicious and refreshing addition to your table and goes well with any kind of meal you have.
Notes and tips to make Greek cucumber salad
- How long does Greek salad last in the fridge? Since this simple cucumber salad doesn’t have a creamy dressing and leafy greens, it can last for about 3 days in the fridge. However, I personally prefer to make and have it fresh.
- Can I make this simple Greek salad for a crowd? Absolutely! Simply multiply the amount of the ingredients to meet the number of people you’re serving. Place the sliced feta on the salad right before serving.
- Make sure not to crumble the feta. Traditionally the feta in cut into slices and placed on the salad before serving.
- Since Greek salad is a simple salad made with a handful of fresh ingredients and seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano and olive oil, it’s important that all your ingredients are high quality. Pay attention to the quality of the kalamata olives and ensure that the cucumbers aren’t too seedy.
Traditional Greek Salad Recipe
- 4 Roma tomatoes cut into chunks
- 1 cup kalamat olives cut in half
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 3 Persian cucumbers cut into chunks
- 1 green bell pepper cut into rings
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/8 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 8 oz creamy feta cheese sliced
- Place tomatoes, kalamata olives, red onion, Persian cucumbers and green bell pepper in a large bowl.
- Add salt, pepper and oregano to the vegetables and mix well.
- Add the olive oil and toss all the vegetables. Add more olive oil if needed.
- Transfer the salad into a serving plate and top with chunks of feta cheese.
- Serve immediately or cold.