Chickpea Salad is a great option for a light lunch and a delicious side dish. It’s made with just a few ingredients that compliment each other very well!
What I love the most about Mediterranean recipes is that they always call for fresh ingredients. Easy recipes such as fattoush , tabbouleh and Mediterranean Salad Recipe are some of the best Mediterranean side dishes that complete almost every dish . Today I’m going to show you how to make a Mediterranean salad with just a few ingredients.
Salad all the way for me, please! When the hot weather kicks in, my appetite for bread and rice goes away and all I can think about is how I can improve our salads and turn them into full meals.
I still love bread and rice. I mean, come on, I grew up eating rice! But I think it’s good to take a break and try some healthy low-carb dishes that are perfect for summer. Because if you’re anything like me and you get cranky when it’s warm, you will definitely love this Greek chickpea salad.
Why this chickpea salad works
This chickpea salad with feta is a regular for a few reasons: first, it’s easy, simple and quick, and by quick I mean less than 20 minutes from start to finish. Second, it’s full of fresh and seasonal ingredients which bring so much flavor to the salad and lastly, it’s easily adjustable and can be served as a delicious side dish or a full meal on its own.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
To make this easy Greek chickpea salad, you need Greek/Mediterranean “inspired” ingredients that go well together such as cucumbers, feta, red onion, olives and, of course, chickpeas. I used drained canned chickpeas but if you prefer to cook chickpeas from scratch, that would work just fine.
Use any kind of feta you like. I used light feta and crumbled it myself. I’m sure a pre-crumbled one will work exactly the same. Feta adds a nice amount of saltiness to the salad which goes well with cucumbers.
I love this healthy chickpea salad especially for summer because chickpeas are a great source of protein. Therefore, they make a great meal without any hassle and in a very short period of time. You can have a full, delicious meal without turning your stove on, which is perfect for summer!
Notes and tips for this chickpea salad recipe
- If you are not going to have the entire salad in one sitting, I suggest you add the dressing and feta only to the portion you’re going to have right away. This way, the base of your salad will stay fresh until you are ready to serve it.
- Add chopped fresh cilantro and/or dill for more flavor.
- To make vegan chickpea salad, leave feta out and add 1/4 teaspoon salt to the salad.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to two days.
- To make a chickpea salad sandwich, top a pita bread with this chickpea salad and wrap it up.
More delicious recipes:
- Mediterranean Deviled Eggs
- Chicken Asparagus Stir Fry
- Salad Shirazi – Persian Cucumber-Tomato Salad
- The Best Shrimp Avocado Salad
- Greek Avocado Egg Sandwich
Greek Chickpea Salad
Greek Chickpea Salad is a great option for a light lunch and a delicious side dish. It’s made with just a few ingredients that compliment each other very well!
- 1 can chickpea 15 oz, drained
- 2 Persian cucumber or 1/2 English cucumber
- 1 small red onion or 1/2 large one
- 1/2 cup green stuffed olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Cut cucumbers into small pieces and place them in a large bowl.
Dice the red onion and mix it with the cucumber.
Add chickpeas, olives and feta cheese to the cucumbers and onion. Stir and combine.
Pour the dressing over the salad and serve.
Pour olive oil, lemon juice into a small jar. Add paprika, dried thyme, garlic and salt. Seal the jar and shake well.
Have you made this recipe? Let us know by commenting and rating on this recipe. Take a picture and tag @unicornsinthekitchen and #unicornsinthekitchen for a chance to be featured!