An easy everyday tahini sauce recipe that’s perfect for falafel, shawarma and kabobs. You can make a big batch of this easy Middle Eastern sauce and always have it at hand.
Today we are going back to basics. We all know one of the staples of Middle Eastern cuisine is Tahini so let’s learn a bit more about this magic sesame paste that’s taking over the world.
What is tahini?
Tahini, also known as Tahina is a creamy paste made of toasted ground sesame and is a common condiment used in Middle Eastern and Eastern Mediterranean cuisine. Tahini is the base for common Middle Eastern mezze and dips such as hummus and baba ghanoush. It’s common to use tahini in sweet recipes such as halva. In Iran, people use sesame paste to make Halvardeh, a type of halva made with tahini, sugar and nuts and it’s common to be served for breakfast.
You can find tahini at Middle Eastern shops, most supermarkets and on Amazon. A good quality tahini is smooth, creamy and not grainy at all.
Tahini sauce, a common Middle Eastern condiment
Ever got a falafel sandwich at a Middle Eastern place and with the first bite you’ve wondered what that awesome sauce is? That’s tahini sauce!
This easy Middle Eastern sauce, also known as tahini dressing is perfect for dishes such as falafel, shawarma, kabobs and even roasted or raw vegetables. Middle Eastern and Mediterranean restaurants serve this sauce alongside the main dish and it’s truly addictive!
What is tahini sauce made of?
A basic tahini sauce is made of tahini, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, salt and water. Some recipes also call for parsley which would boost the flavor.
How can I make homemade tahini sauce? To make tahini sauce, you can either use a mason jar or a bowl to mix all the ingredients. If you’ve made a big batch, you can keep it in the fridge for up to two weeks. Make sure to shake it every time before using.
Tahini sauce recipe variations
- Lemon tahini sauce: double the amount of lemon juice in the original recipe for more acidity.
- Spicy tahini sauce: Add 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper to the basic tahini sauce recipe.
- Tahini yogurt sauce: Add 2 tablespoons yogurt to the original tahini sauce recipe and add more water if needed. Tahini yogurt sauce has more subtle tahini flavor.
Mediterranean Tahini Sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley optional
- In a small jar or a bowl, place garlic, tahini and water.
- If using a jar, put the lid on and shake well. If using a bowl, stir well with a spoon.
- Add in cumin, salt, lemon juice and parsley. Mix and taste to see if the salt and lemon juice are enough. Add more if needed.
- Use tahini sauce for falafel, shawarma, kabobs or simply veggies.