Oven roasted vegetables are a great side dish for almost any meal. Learn how to make tasty roasted vegetables that everyone loves and devours!
Any main dish would benefit from a tasty and flavorful side dish. Some of our popular side dishes are salad shirazi, Greek potatoes and Middle Eastern Eggplant. Today we’re going to learn how to make the best oven roasted vegetables with a Mediterranean twist.
The best oven roasted vegetables
Vegetables are usually very tricky for some familes. Kids sometimes don’t like them and even adults might not be in love with them. However if you’re anything like me and grew having vegetables every single day and in every single dish, then the story is different.
I have the best roasted vegetables recipe here for you. It’s packed with flavors from sumac, paprika, oregano and tons of garlic. It’s easy, one pan and ready in only twenty minutes!
What are the best vegetables to roast in the oven
You can roast almost any kind of vegetables in the oven. Root vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, beets and parsnips are a given. I also enjoy roasting cherry tomatoes, onions and peppers. I love the sweetness of onions after they’re roasted as it goes very well with the Mediterranean spices that we’ve used in this oven roasted vegetables recipe. You can also roast broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts as they turn to become crispy on the edges which makes them very tasty.
What spices should I use for oven roasted vegetables
You can use almost any spice you like. For this roasted Mediterranean vegetables recipe I used paprika, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and sumac. These spices work very well together and bring so much flavor to those veggies that you usually have to beg your family to eat. Once the vegetables are roasted with all these spices in the oven, everyone is going to munch on them and ask for seconds!
What temperature do you roast vegetables in the oven
High temperature works best when it comes to roasting vegetables. It helps with the vegetables getting crispy and yet keeping their shape and flavor. I usually roast vegetables at 425F.
What vegetables can be roasted together?
Vegetables with the same texture can be roasted together which means root vegetables such as beets, carrots and potatoes can be roasted together and more tender ones like tomatoes, zucchini and mushrooms can be roasted together. However, here for the oven roasted vegetables, I had a combination and have decided to use only one baking sheet so I used baby potatoes which cook quicker and sliced the red onion into larger pieces so they won’t brown quickly.
How to roast vegetables in the oven
Preheat the oven to 425F and coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray. You can also line it with a parchment paper or aluminum foil and cooking spray. Cut up all the vegetables and place them in a large bowl and drizzle some olive oil and lemon juice on them. Add in paprika, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and sumac to the bowl and stir well until all veggies are coated in spices.
Spread the vegetables in one single layer and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes until potatoes are done. Serve warm with your favorite main dish.
What to serve with Mediterranean roast vegetables
You can serve Mediterranean roasted vegetables with any kind of main dish that you like. We love serving these oven roasted vegetables with salmon shish kebab, chicken shish kebab and Mediterranean chicken. These roasted vegetables can also be a part of your Mediterranean mezze platter.
Can I make roasted vegetables ahead of time
Absolutely! The best way to make roasted vegetables ahead of time is to place the vegetables in a large bowl with the marinade and mix them until they’re coated with the marinade. Then refrigerate them for a few hours until you’re ready to roast them.
Turn the oven on and take the marinated vegetables out of the fridge. Once the oven is hot enough, roast the vegetables and serve them warm.
Can I freeze oven roasted vegetables
Even though you can technically freeze roasted vegetables, I suggest you make them fresh every time. It doesn’t take long to roast a bunch of veggies and you can even roast a big batch for the week and refrigerate them for a few days.
Notes and tips to make oven roasted vegetables at home
- You can double and triple this recipe to make oven roasted vegetables for a crowd. Make sure you also double and triple the amount of spices and olive oil.
- Don’t chop the vegetables, especially the onions too small. Tender vegetables like onion cook quicker therefore always cut them into bigger chunks so they don’t brown quickly.
- Don’t overlap the vegetables. Make sure vegetables are in one single layer. This helps them cook evenly and end up with some crispy edges and fully cooked.
- If in season, butternut squash and acorn squash are also great for roasting.
Mediterranean Oven Roasted Vegetables
- 1 red onion cut into big chunks
- 10-12 small red and yellow peppers
- 2 zucchinis cut in half and sliced
- 1 lb baby potatoes cut in half
- 12 oz grape tomatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp oregano or thyme
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 lemon juice of
- 1 tsp sumac
- Preheat the oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Coat with non stick spray.
- Place all the vegetables in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add paprika, oregano, minced garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice and sumac to the vegetables. Stir well using a large spoon to make sure all the vegetables are coated with spices.
- Spread the vegetables on the baking sheet in one single layer.
- Roast the vegetables in the oven for about 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.