This baked Greek chicken recipe is a weeknight favorite. Marinated in yogurt, lemon and garlic, this chicken is flavorful in every bite.
Winner winner, easy chicken dinner! I can never have enough easy chicken recipes here. We've had rave reviews on our grilled zaatar chicken, caprese chicken and Mediterranean chicken recipe from many readers. This tasty baked chicken recipe with Greek flavors is another favorite that I can't wait to share with you. Serve it with some Greek potatoes for the ultimate family dinner!
Table Of Contents:
Why this recipe works
This is one of the easiest baked chicken recipes you'll try. Beside having all the great flavors like our Greek grilled chicken, there are other reasons to love this dish:
- It's made in one pan so cleaning up is a breeze!
- The marinade contains yogurt which makes the chicken very tender and juicy.
- This Greek baked chicken is perfect for meal prepping and you can serve it with different sides.
Ingredients and substitutions
You need a few ingredients to make this baked Greek chicken recipe. Although this recipe doesn't call for many ingredients, the flavors are right on point:
Chicken - Boneless skinless chicken breast works best for this recipe. I usually go with one piece of chicken breast per person. You can also opt for boneless skinless chicken thighs.
Yogurt - Same as our shish tawook and chicken gyro recipe, this one also uses yogurt in the marinade to make it juicier and more flavorful. It's best to use whole milk yogurt. If using non-dairy yogurt, make sure it's plain.
Oregano - Dried Greek oregano is the key to this delicious baked chicken. Don't skip it.
Garlic - You need enough garlic to taste the flavor in the chicken but not too much so it's overpowering. If you love garlic flavor for chicken, try my Mediterranean garlic chicken recipe made with 10 cloves of garlic.
Lemon juice - This would add such nice and bright flavor to the chicken. It's best to use freshly squeezed lemon juice instead of bottled.
Salt and pepper - Add enough salt and pepper to the marinade. I suggest using red pepper flakes for more flavor.
How to make one pan baked Greek chicken
Marinade the chicken
In a large bowl, mix yogurt with minced garlic, olive oil, oregano, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add in the chicken and turn it around to make sure it's fully coated with the yogurt mixture. Cover and marinate for at least one hour up to overnight.
Bake the chicken
When you're ready to cook the chicken, take the bowl out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.
Using a pair of tongs, take the chicken out of the yogurt marinade and shake out the excess yogurt. Place the chicken pieces on the baking sheet and bake in the oven until the internal temperature registers at 165°F. Let the chicken cool for 5 minutes and then slice to serve.
What I love about this baked Greek chicken dish is that you can serve it with a variety of side dishes. Here are a few suggestions:
- Slice it and make it into a wrap with some greens, tzatziki and homemade lavash or pita.
- Serve it with a light side dish such as roasted radishes, Greek green beans (fasolakia), Mediterranean roasted vegetables or Briam (Greek roasted vegetables).
- For starchy sides, you can have spinach pesto pasta, rice pilaf with orzo, Greek lemon rice, rice with vermicelli or mujaddara.
Frequently asked questions
Yes. This is a great recipe for meal planning so you can make a few pieces of chicken and keep them in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Absolutely. Boneless skinless chicken thighs would work for this recipe as well. Baking time might vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. You can use it to make salads, sandwiches or serve with rice.
There are two ways to freeze this: cooked and uncooked. I prefer to marinade the chicken in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. You can also bake it and then freeze it for up to 3 months.
Looking for more Greek recipes?
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Easy Baked Greek Chicken Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken breast boneless skinless
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lemon juice of
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl mix yogurt, oregano, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken and using a pair or tongs, flip it around to make sure it's fully coated with the yogurt marinade.
- Cover and marinate for at least one hour up to overnight in the fridge.
- When you're ready to cook, take the chicken out of the fridge and place it on the counter.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Using a pair of tongs, take the chicken out of the marinade and shake off the excess marinade and place it on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Let it sit for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with your favorite side dish.
- You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breast. Cooking time may vary.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a pan over medium low heat.
- Here are a few serving suggestions: