Enjoy the flavors of the Mediterranean with this juicy Greek grilled chicken. The classic marinade is made with lemon, herbs and spices and is so easy to put together in just 30 minutes!
So much can be done with a piece of chicken, and we have some good ideas for you. If you want a one pan meal, try our Greek chicken and rice. Looking for the easiest chicken recipe? Our Mediterranean garlic chicken is here for you to grab and if you're in the mood for some Middle Eastern chicken goodness, you're going to love grilled zaatar chicken. This Greek style grilled chicken comes with the best marinade ever. It's tender, tangy, garlicky and all around a good recipe to try!
Table Of Contents:
Why This Recipe Works
It's always good to have a practical chicken recipe on hand for when you don't want to think about what to make or when you don't have a lot of time. This grilled chicken recipe checks all the boxes for a few reasons:
- It's easy: As easy as make the marinade, marinate the chicken and then grill it. Pretty simple, right?
- Very practical: You can make this recipe using a charcoal or gas grill. If the weather doesn't permit, you can easily cook the chicken in a grill pan or a skillet.
- Use any cut of chicken: I made this recipe using boneless skinless chicken breast, but it would also work with tenders or boneless skinless thighs.
- Endless options: You can serve this dish with any kind of side dish you fancy. From a simple piece of bread to salads, rice, veggies or potatoes. It's always delicious!
Everything I love about this recipe lies within the marinade. Just like our Greek chicken marinade, the ingredients are simple yet work so well together and the Mediterranean flavor shines in each and every bite of this chicken. Here is what you need to make the marinade:
- Olive oil: My suggestion is to use a quality extra virgin olive oil. With deep color and flavor, good quality olive oil makes all the difference.
- Lemon: If it's possible, always use fresh lemon to make the marinade. If you have a zester, add some lemon zest to the mixture too.
- Garlic: There is no such thing as too much garlic in my book. the classic combination of garlic, lemon juice and olive oil gives such bright flavor to the dish.
- Spices: The main spice to add here is the oregano. Add a bit of salt and pepper and you're good to go.
How To Make Greek Grilled Chicken
It's very easy to make this Greek grilled chicken recipe. I've included both outdoor and indoor grilling methods.
- In a large bowl mix olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, pepper and oregano. Add the chicken to the marinade and make sure it's coated on all sides. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- Prepare the gas/charcoal grill to about 400°F. Take the marinated chicken out of the fridge and place it on the counter.
- Once the grill is hot, it's time to grill the chicken. Using tongs, take the chicken out of the marinade and place it on the grill. Cook for about 5 to 8 minutes on one side. Then flip and cook for about 6 minutes on the other side until cooked. The chicken is cooked when the juices run clean and the internal temperature registers at 165ºF.
Pro tip: Having the chicken come to room temperature before grilling ensures even cooking.
Indoors cooking method
If the weather doesn't permit grilling, you can make this recipe indoors using a grilling pan or a skillet! Once the chicken is marinated and you're ready to cook, heat some olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Sear the chicken for about 7 to 10 minutes on each side until fully cooked.
As I mentioned before, there are endless ways to serve grilled Greek chicken. Here are three ways to serve this dish:
- Serve it with dishes such as Greek lemon rice, Greek spinach rice, Lebanese vermicelli rice or spinach pesto pasta.
- With a side of vegetables such as grilled asparagus, Mediterranean grilled vegetables, briam (roasted vegetables) or roasted artichokes.
- Make it into a sandwich with homemade pita, tzatziki, hummus and fresh Greek salad.
- Turn it into a salad by making our classic Mediterranean salad, grilled peach salad or green bean salad and top it with chopped grilled chicken and some homemade pita chips.
Frequently asked questions
Since this is a grilling recipe, it's best to make it fresh. However, you can marinate chicken for up to 24 hours before you grill.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can use the leftovers in salads, wraps or serve over rice.
If you'd like the marinade to be spicy, add a bit of cayenne pepper to the marinade. You can also add a bit of dijon mustard for more flavor.
Nothing is worse than dry and overcooked chicken breast. The marinade will keep the chicken juicy and if cooked right to temperature (165°F), it stays tender. However, you can use this marinade for other cuts such as thighs. Cooking time may vary so make sure that your chicken is cooked completely before taking it off the heat.
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
More Grilling Recipes
Juicy Greek Grilled Chicken Recipe
- 2 lb chicken breast boneless skinless
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 2 lemons juice of
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Add chicken to the marinade and make sure each piece is well coated. Cover and marinade in the refrigerator for at least one hour or overnight.
- When you're ready to grill, take the bowl out of the fridge and place it on the counter. Heat the gas or charcoal grill to about 400°F.
- Once the grill is hot, take the chicken breasts out of the marinade using tongs and place them on the grill. Cook for about 5 to 8 minutes on one side, then flip and cook for about 6 minutes on the other side. The chicken is ready when juices run clean, it's no longer pink and the internal temperature registers at 165°F.
- Let the chicken sit for 5 minutes then slice and serve.
- Make sure to take the chicken out of the fridge when you turn on the grill. When the chicken is not 100% cold, it cooks evenly and quicker.
- If you don't have an outdoor grill: Once the chicken is marinated, take it out of the fridge and place it on the counter. Heat a grill pan or a skillet over medium heat. Pour in one tablespoon olive oil and place the chicken in the pan. Cook for about 7-10 minutes on each side until fully cooked.
- Serve it as a platter with some saffron rice or Lebanese rice with vermicelli, a side of Mediterranean grilled vegetables and some homemade hummus.
- Make it into a sandwich with homemade pita, tzatziki and fresh Greek salad.
- Turn it into a salad by making our classic Mediterranean salad and top it with chopped grilled chicken.
This Greek grilled chicken looks and sounds absolutely fabulous. Can't wait to make it this summer.
This makes the best grilled chicken! The combo of flavors and the lemon is so good!
Love finding new marinades for chicken! This was so flavorful.... we made Mediterranean salads with this chicken and they were delicious!
Fantastic flavors and this was a big hit I will make this Greek Chicken recipe often and those grill marks are the best taste
Fantastic chicken recipe! I mean, it is exactly how I like to cook mine, and it looks amazing!
If I use the oven to cook the chicken, how long and what temperature should I set?
Bake it at 400 degrees F for about 25 to 30 minutes 🙂
This simple marinade is the BEST for elevating a chicken dinner. It's become my go to for easy dinners!
I love how simple the ingredients are but you're right, it's so good! Thanks for another great recipe!
We put this on top of salad. It was really good! Thanks!
I am all on board with the short ingredient list! Love how flavorful the chicken is!