This homemade pita chips recipe is a keeper! Make crispy and delicious pita chips at your home with just a few ingredients in less than twenty minutes. They’re perfect with many dips or just as a healthy snack.
An easy pita chips recipe to make at home
Some of you know that I lived in Turkey for a while and that’s how my love for Mediterranean food grew to what it is today. I love how fresh and seasonal Mediterranean recipes are and how they’re so close to Persian cuisine, too. Both cuisines use seasonal ingredients, focus on more fresh vegetables and fruit and moderate use of meat and dairy, and the main focus of both is eating and sharing with family and friends. That’s why Mediterranean cuisine is so dear to my heart.
Today, I’m going to give you a recipe for pita chips which is one of the easiest and tastiest snacks ever! Pita chips are so easy and simple to make and you can serve them with almost any dip you please.
Are pita chips baked or fried?
They can be both fried or baked depending on your preference. I prefer baked as they have less oil and taste more homemade and fresh to me. You can simply fry the wedged pita in some oil in a pan for fried pita chips.
Are pita chips healthy?
Some may think that pita chips are healthier than regular chips While this could be true, you should make sure that you’re attentive to the amount of salt and olive oil you’re using to make homemade pita chips to make sure there isn’t too much sodium and fat in your pita chips.
What are this chips made of?
It can’t get simpler than this. All you need is pita bread, olive oil and sea salt. You can add other spices such as sumac but that’s pretty much it! Pita chips are simple and full of flavor. If you’re getting adventurous and want to make homemade pita chips from scratch (really from scratch), you can start by making my homemade pita bread which is so easy.
How to make pita chips with only 3 ingredients
- Preheat your oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or baking mat.
- Brush both sides of the pita with olive oil and sprinkle some sea salt.
- Cut the pitas into 8 wedges using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife.
- Bake in the oven for eight to ten minutes. Flip once if needed.
They will be crispy and golden brown. This is an easy recipe that you can use for parties, gatherings or just for an afternoon snack. It’s a great alternative to the store-bought pita chips. And it’s healthier since you can control the amount of salt and oil used in the recipe.
How do you make fried pita chips?
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Cut pita bread into slices and fry in small batches until golden and crispy. Don’t over crowd the pan and make sure they’re fried evenly on all sides.
Make different flavors of chips
Use the ingredients you have at home to jazz up the flavors of your pita chips! Here are some suggestions:
- Sumac: For tangy and salty pita chips.
- Zaatar: If you like earthy flavors and herbal aromas.
- Garlic: Everyone’s favorite!
- Paprika and Turmeric: Classic flavors of the Middle East.
All of these flavors are great for baked pita chips and you can even make a batch of each and serve them all together. It’s amazing how quick they disappear from the plate!
Can I make pita chips ahead of time?
It’s best to serve these pita chips right out of the oven and fresh. That’s when they’re the crispiest. However, you can make them a day ahead and heat them in the oven for a few minutes.
What to serve pita chips with
Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines have amazing dips and spreads that you can make at home and serve with these homemade pita chips. Our favorites are spicy hummus, baba ganoush, muhammara and tzatziki. A simple spread of these dips with some pita chips makes the best appetizer platter for your parties and gatherings.
Notes and tips to make pita chips at home
- Pita chips are always most delicious if they’re served warm and right out of the oven.
- You can keep pita chips in an airtight container for two days. It’s best to reheat them for a few minutes in the oven before serving it.
- Start checking the chips after seven minutes; depending on the heat and the baking sheet, the cooking time can vary.
- Use whole wheat pita chips for more fiber. You can find whole wheat pita bread at your local supermarket.
Tools and ingredients used to make this recipe:
Homemade Pita Chips Recipe
- 4 Pitas
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Sumac optional
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Brush the pitas on both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle salt and sumac on both sides.
- Cut the pitas into wedges using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife.
- Place the pita pieces on the baking sheet and bake for eight to ten minutes until they're golden brown.
- Serve with dips such as hummus or mast o khiar.