Mezze platter takes your appetizer game to a whole new level. This Mediterranean platter is a showstopper at any gathering and it’s so simple to make.
Our Mediterranean recipes including Hummus, Greek Meatballs, moussaka and Lamb loin chops are perfect for a gathering but any party needs a large Mediterranean mezze platter that everyone loves. And today I’m going to show you how to put together the best mezze platter ever!
Thank you Lantana Foods for sponsoring this post.
What is Mezze?
Mezze or meze, is a selection of Mediterranean small dishes. It’s common in the Mediterranean region and the Balkans to serve mezze as part of a dinner. This Mediterranean platter consists several small dishes that compliment each other very well. The word Mezze comes from Persian “Mazze” meaning taste or snack.
When I was living in Istanbul, Turkey, mezze was a common part of almost every meal we had at a sit down restaurant. The waiter would come with a very large tray which has several small dishes and we would choose everything that looked good to us and he would bring those as the appetizer. Sometimes, we would get a couple or two complimentary mezzes as well. Those were good days.
What goes on a Mediterranean mezze platter?
This is the part which you can allow your imagination to guide you. The items that can go on Mediterranean platter are endless. I usually opt for two types of hummus which is so easy to do thanks to Lantana’s delicious hummus variety. Other items that go on a hummus platter are:
- Bread: Pita is a good option but you can also use crackers or lavash bread.
- Fresh vegetables: Cucumbers and fresh tomatoes add such nice freshness to the platter and they’re great for dipping.
- Dolmas: You can get prepared dolmas (stuffed grape leaves) at supermarkets. You can also prepare these at home.
- Cheese: Feta and mozzarella balls are great choices for a Mediterranean mezze platter.
- Marinated vegetables: Artichokes, sun dried tomatoes and marinated olives make the best combination on a platter.
- Grilled vegetables: I love serving roasted red potatoes on my hummus platter. You can also serve roasted zucchini, eggplant or asparagus as well.
- Nuts: I always add a handful of walnuts to add a nice crunch to the platter. Plus, have you ever tried feta with walnuts? It’s the best combination!
- Bite size food: It’s common to have some bite size foods such as falafels and meatballs.
- Salads: Fattoush and tabbouleh are good addition to your mezze platter if you like serving salads as well.
I love Lantana hummus because they have the creativity to give new flavor to such classic recipe. From black bean hummus to sriracha carrot, Lantana is bringing all kinds of fun to this simple and humble Mediterranean dip. For this mezze platter I uses Lantana’s White Bean hummus and Edamame hummus which gave perfect flavor and color to our platter.
How to prepare mezze platter
First of all, choose the right size platter. The bigger, the better. You can use almost any kind of platter, oval, rectangle or oval. You can even use a board or baking sheet. You need a large flat surface so make sure your platter serves the purpose.
Start by plating the hummus. I like to place one flavor of hummus at each end of the platter so everyone has access to the good stuff. Next, place the roasted red peppers in the center and place the cucumbers as well. Continue with feta and mozzarella cheese on two sides of the platter. You can either use mozzarella pearls or slice up a ball of mozzarella.
Next, place marinated olives and dolmas on the platter and proceed with fresh tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes. Finish with marinated artichokes, walnuts, a few peppadew peppers and some sliced pita bread.
It’s very easy and simple to put together such a beautiful showstopper. I love taking this Mediterranean mezze platter to parties and it always disappears in no time!
Is everything on a hummus platter vegetarian?
Not necessarily. Stuffed grape leaves (dolmas) can be made with meat or meatless so make sure you check the ingredients if you buy them. You can always serve meatballs and other meats such as beef salami on the platter. If the main course includes meat, I usually keep the hummus platter vegetarian.
Can I prepare Mediterranean platter ahead of time?
That’s the best part! Yes! You can easily prepare this platter ahead of time and serve it when you’re ready. Everything on the platter will keep fresh for hours.
Mediterranean Mezze Platter
Mezze platter takes your appetizer game to a whole new level. This Mediterranean platter is a showstopper at any gathering and it's so simple to make.
- 2 packs Lantana Hummus White Bean and Edamame
- 3 Roasted red peppers
- 2 Persian cucumbers
- 1/2 cup feta cheese cubed
- 1/2 cup mozzarella balls
- 8 dolmas homemade or prepared
- 1 cup marinated olives
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup marinated sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup marinated artichokes
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 7-8 Peppadew peppers
- 4 pitas
Place a large and flat platter or baking sheet on the counter.
Put some of the Lantana hummus in two plates and place them on two ends of the platter.
Place the roasted red peppers on the platter.
Cut the Persian cucumbers into half width-wise. Then cut each half into half lengthwise. Slice each half into three or four pieces. Place the slices on the platter.
Add feta and mozzarella balls to the platter.
Place the dolmas and marinated olives on the platter as well.
Add the fresh and sun-dried tomatoes to two ends of the platter.
Fill the empty spaces with marinated artichokes, walnuts and Peppadew peppers.
Slice each pita into eight pieces and place some around the platter and the rest on a plate.
- You can find marinated olives and artichokes at the Mediterranean or olive bars of supermarkets.
- You can use whole wheat or white pita bread.