This post has been sponsored by Grapes From California . All thoughts and opinions are my own.
With just a few quality ingredients, you can put together a light appetizer board that will satisfy all your cravings.
Everyone likes appetizers! But sometimes, heavy appetizers can spoil your appetite for the main meal. Today I'm going to show you how to put a simple and light appetizer board together with delicious items that will leave you with enough of an appetite to enjoy lunch or dinner.
Less is more!
When it comes to making this appetizer board, less is more! You don't need fancy cheese, crackers or nuts, nor do you need to invest in a large board. Remember, you're making a "warm up" to the main event, not an "appetizer for dinner" board!
One thing that I love to add to my board is Grapes from California. The sweetness of the grapes balances everything else on the board and wraps everything together without being overpowering. Now, let's take a look at everything we have on the board and how to choose the items you want to feature.
What goes on this appetizer board?
Instead of using 4-5 kinds of cheese, opt for only two types: one firm and one creamy cheese. I used feta and Camembert because I love how they pair with grapes. I put a few slices of each on the board.
A light appetizer board needs a sweet component, and I choose grapes because they're versatile, sweet and juicy—which makes them the perfect snack. Grapes from California are in season May through January and come in three colors: green, red and black. I used both green and red since they add so much color to my board.
Crackers and bread
Again, less is more. Opt for one or two types of crackers or bread. I cut up some homemade pita bread and placed it on one edge of the board. I added some pita crackers on the other side.
Walnuts are my favorite and they go perfectly with the rest of the items here. By now, you've probably figured out that I'm putting a Middle Eastern/Mediterranean twist on this appetizer board, which complements so many of the dishes I love to make!
No board is complete in my house without olives. Both Kalamata and green olives are good choices here, so go with whichever you have on hand or like better.
Stuffed grape leaves
You can use canned or homemade stuffed grape leaves, but I never leave them out. They're such a tasty addition and fun to eat!
A few tips to keep in mind
- Your board shouldn't be too big. Choose one medium-sized or two small boards.
- It's best to cut the cheese into chunks or slices and place it in different parts of the board. Don't add too much cheese, just more slices.
- Fill a good portion of the board with grapes. Not only are they beautiful on the board, but they are also healthy.
Don't forget to add California grapes to your cart today!
Light Summer Appetizer Board
- 4 oz Feta cheese
- 4 oz Camembert
- 3 cups Grapes from California
- 1 cup Pita crackers
- 2 Pita bread cut into pieces
- 6 stuffed grape leaves
- ½ cup Kalamata olives
- ½ cup Walnuts
- Start by cutting the feta and Camembert into smaller pieces. Arrange them on the board.
- Place the California grapes in the middle of the board.
- Arrange the pita bread and crackers close to the cheese.
- Place the stuffed grape leaves on one side of the board.
- Finish with kalamata olives and walnuts.