Here is a Turkish white bean salad called Piyaz that can be prepared in just ten minutes. It's an easy and tasty side dish that pairs nicely with many Mediterranean flavors.
We have many Turkish recipes here and they're all made with fresh and delicious ingredients. This Turkish white bean salad, also known as piyaz, is another delicious salad that we love. Just like Turkish bulgur salad (kisir) and Turkish tomato salad (gavurdagi), this salad uses simple, fresh ingredients and a delectable dressing!
A Turkish take on white bean salad
Turkish cuisine includes many mezzes and side dishes characterized by rich flavor profiles. With some dishes such as lahmacun these sides can be as simple as fresh parsley, lettuce, tomatoes and lemon. This white bean salad, also called piyaz, is a great accompaniment to almost any main dish. What I love the most about this salad is that it can be prepared in ten minutes or less, and the flavor is pretty unique thanks to sumac.
White beans - The main ingredient you need for this Turkish salad is cannellini or navy beans. You can either use canned beans or cook them yourself. Check out The Spruce Eats to learn how to cook beans for use in salads.
Tomatoes - It's best to use firm tomatoes that are not too seedy for this recipe. I recommend using roma tomatoes.
Red onion - Red onions add so much flavor to salads. Slice them thinly to add a bit of crunch to the salad.
Parsley - Fresh herbs are the perfect way to add flavor and brightness. Parsley is generously used in many Turkish salad recipes including Piyaz.
The special flavor of this salad lies within the dressing. It's made with olive oil, lemon juice, sumac, Aleppo pepper and salt.
- Wash and dry the tomatoes and parsley.
- If using canned beans, make sure you drain the excess water and place them in a bowl.
- Finely chop the parsley, dice the tomatoes, and add them both to the white beans.
- Thinly slice the red onion and mix it in to the salad as well. Give it all a nice stir and set it aside.
- In a small bowl mix sumac, Aleppo pepper, and salt.
- Add in lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil and stir well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss it so all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes and then serve.
You can even serve this salad as a full meal on warm summer days. A bowl of this salad with a slice of crusty bread would be a perfect summer lunch - no oven required!
Can I make this salad ahead of time?
Since this salad has a dressing and includes tomatoes, it's best to consume it right away or within a few hours. If preparing ahead of time, make the dressing and the salad without the tomatoes and refrigerate separately. Once ready to serve, dice and add the tomatoes and toss with the dressing before serving.
Looking for more salad recipes?
- Traditional Greek Salad
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- The Best Mediterranean Salad Recipe
- Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
- Greek Chickpea Salad
- Greek Salmon Salad
Turkish White Bean Salad
- 1 can cannellini beans drained
- 2 tomatoes diced
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp sumac
- ½ tsp Aleppo pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 lemon juice of
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Place the drained cannellini beans in a large bowl and add chopped tomatoes, sliced red onions and chopped parsley to the beans. Stir well and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix sumac, Aleppo pepper, salt, lemon juice and olive oil and pour it on the salad.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Serve cold as a side dish.
- It's best to use firm tomatoes that are not too seedy for this recipe.
- This salad is best served within a few hours.
- This would make a great side dish for kebabs and shish kebabs.