Grilled asparagus - ready in just 15 minutes - is an ideal side dish for your summer grilling. Crisp on the outside with a smokey flavor, this tasty recipe is an easy way to add healthy veggies to your barbeque spread.
We love grilling! When the weather is warm enough, you can always find me on the back porch grilling something. From juicy spatchcock chicken and beef shish kabob to shrimp kabob and zaatar chicken, we love that smoky flavor of the grill! Today's grilled asparagus recipe is a quick 15-minute side dish that's healthy and so delicious.
Table Of Contents:
Asparagus doesn't have to be boring!
Asparagus is a humble vegetable with subtle flavor but, if it's prepared properly, it tastes wonderful and delivers a great texture since it's crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
You need just a few ingredients to elevate plain asparagus to a tasty side dish. We love serving our asparagus with a tasty lemon tahini sauce that's so easy to make.
Tips for making the best grilled asparagus
- Choose fresh: Fresh asparagus is firm and the tips are brightly closed. The color of asparagus is not constant, however fresh asparagus always looks bright and rich in color and not faded.
- Trim the ends: The woody end of the asparagus snaps naturally. Be sure to remove that part for best flavor and texture.
- Don't overcook: The key to tasty asparagus is to grill it just enough for it to be cooked. Overcooking it might result in chewy and stringy texture.
Why is asparagus good for you?
- Asparagus has essential vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K and potassium.
- It's a good source of fiber which improves digestive health.
- Research has found that asparagus can lower blood pressure.
How to make grilled asparagus
- Preheat the grill (gas or charcoal) to medium/medium-high.
- Remove the woody ends of the asparagus and place them in a pan. Drizzle with olive oil and add salt and pepper. Make sure all asparagus is coated with olive oil.
- While the grill is heating, make the lemon tahini sauce by mixing tahini, yogurt, lemon zest and juice, salt, minced garlic and just a bit of water to thin it out.
- Place the asparagus on a grill pan with holes or directly on the grates. Close the lid and grill for 5 minutes, then flip the asparagus and grill for another 5 minutes until they are cooked but crisp.
- Plate the asparagus and top with lemon tahini sauce.
Variations and ideas
There are different ways to serve grilled asparagus. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Give it a garlicky twist by dipping it in toum (Lebanese garlic sauce).
- Top them with some freshly grated parmesan and chopped basil.
- Drizzle with some balsamic glaze for a lot of flavor.
- Top with vegetables such as tomatoes and red onions.
- Serve with some dijon mustard to dip the asparagus in.
- Go simple and top with some freshly squeezed lemon juice!
I love serving this as a side dish with our summer barbecue dishes such as grilled wings, grilled steak, shish tawook, grilled shrimp skewers, or salmon kabob. It's such an easy side dish to make and goes well with almost any protein.
Frequently asked questions
If the asparagus has turned soggy and not crisp, it could be for a couple of reasons. First, the asparagus wasn't fresh to begin with and second, it's been overcooked. Keep an eye on it while grilling and remove it as soon as it's cooked which usually takes about 10 minutes.
You don't need to blanch fresh asparagus before grilling since it cooks very fast on the grill.
It depends on the variety of asparagus, the type of grill and its heat. However, it generally takes about 10 minutes to grill asparagus on medium-high heat, flipping once.
It's best to serve and eat grilled asparagus fresh out of the grill for the best texture and flavor. However, you can store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. To reheat, place them on a pan over medium heat, stir a few times so they heat evenly. You can use them in salads or with eggs for breakfast.
More grill side dishes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Grilled Asparagus with Lemon Tahini Sauce
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
Lemon Tahini Sauce
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- Preheat the grill to medium/medium-high.
- Trim the woody ends of the asparagus, it naturally breaks or you can use a knife. place them on a baking sheet and drizzle the olive oil. Add salt and pepper. Using your hands, coat the asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Make the lemon tahini sauce by mixing the tahini with yogurt, lemon zest and juice, salt and garlic. Add the water, one tablespoon at a time if you need to thin out the sauce.
- Place the asparagus on the grill. I used a grilling pan with holes for better handling. Close the lid and let it grill for 5 minutes. Give it a good stir and grill for another 5 minutes until they are crisp and cooked. Transfer them to a serving platter.
- Drizzle the lemon tahini sauce over the asparagus, top with Aleppo pepper and sesame seeds if desired and serve warm.
- Serving suggestions: Serve with grilled spatchcock chicken, Greek grilled chicken, grilled steak or beef shish kabobs.
- It's best to serve and eat grilled asparagus fresh out of the grill for the best texture and flavor. However, you can store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. To reheat, place them on a pan over medium heat, stir a few times so they heat evenly. You can use them in salads or with eggs for breakfast.
- Make sure to use fresh asparagus that's bright in color and feels firm. Canned asparagus will not work for this recipe.
- For a dairy-free version, use plain dairy-free yogurt.
love this recipe, going to make it! Thanks!
This came out so good! The lemon sauce accented the smoky flavor beautifully. It was a big hit with my family and I'll definitely be making it again!
I was so excited because I actually got the kids to try this recipe! The lemon sauce smelled so good they didn't even mind the "green part"!
We had this with grilled chicken last night. I sopped up some of the lemon tahini sauce with the chicken, too. So good!
The tahini sauce was such an amazing addition.
Never tried tahini sauce with asparagus! Can't wait to. Sounds delicious.
So yummy and easy to make, this is the perfect summer side dish!
This is a great recipe for asparagus and for Tahini sauce. LOVE it, perfect for summer!