An easy veggie shish kabob recipe that you can make any time. Delicious grilled vegetables flavored with garlic, thyme and balsamic vinegar make the best side dish!
Another shish kabob recipe for you. So far we have beef shish kabob , salmon shish kabob and chicken shish kabob. They're so easy to make and everyone loves food on stick! Our Mediterranean grilled vegetables make a good side for all grilled food and if you're looking for veggies on a stick, you can try this easy and delicious veggie shish kabob recipe!
What are the best vegetables for shish kabobs?
You can make shish kabob with almost any vegetable such as zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, onions and even brussels sprouts. My only note is thread vegetable that are similar in texture on the same skewer. For example, zucchinis cook pretty fast so you can thread them with tomatoes. It's also possible to thread each type of vegetable on a separate skewers.
To make this recipe, you need zucchini, red onion, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. These vegetables go well together and cook at the same time.
As for the marinade I used a delicious mixture of olive oil, garlic, thyme, balsamic vinegar, salt and a little bit of lemon juice. More on the flavor variations below.
- Start by cutting the vegetables. Cut the onions into big chunks and use button mushrooms if possible. Zucchini can be cut in half and then sliced or you can use baby zucchini.
- Mix the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper and thyme in a large bowl.
- Add in the vegetables and mix well using a spatula. Let the vegetables marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill and start threading the vegetables on skewers. Metal skewers are easy to work with however, If using wooden skewers soak them in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.
- Grill the veggie shish kabobs for about 10 minutes on each side until they are fully cooked. If the vegetables are getting charred but not cooked yet, move them to indirect heat (or heating area) and let them cook longer.
- Spicy: leave out balsamic and add ½ tap cayenne pepper.
- Lemon garlic: use 2 tablespoons lemon juice instead of balsamic vinegar and use 6 cloves of garlic.
- Rosemary garlic: use 1 teaspoon dried rosemary and 6 cloves of garlic. Omit the balsamic vinegar.
- Zaatar: Add 1 ½ teaspoon zaatar to the marinade and leave out balsamic and thyme.
- Turmeric paprika: mix ½ teaspoon turmeric with 1 teaspoon paprika. Add olive oil and lemon juice, mix and use this mixture to marinate the vegetables.
- Teriyaki: Simply marinate the vegetables using teriyaki sauce (store bought or homemade teriyaki sauce work fine).
Frequently asked questions
It really depends on the size of your vegetables. It usually takes between 15 to 25 minutes for vegetables to perfectly grill and become soft on the inside. Make sure the heat is not too high as you don't want vegetables shish kabobs to be burnt on the outside and raw on the inside.
Yes, and it's very easy! After your veggie skewers are ready, place them on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil them 5 inches below the broiler for about 5 minutes on each side. Check regularly to make sure they don't burn.
Place the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the veggies on a baking sheet and heat in the oven at 300°F for 15 minutes.
More grilling recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Veggie Shish Kabob with Thyme and Garlic
- 1 zucchini cut in half moons
- 1 large red onions cut into big chunks
- 1 red bell pepper cut into chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into chunk
- 15-20 button mushrooms cleaned
- 20 cherry tomatoes
vegetable shish kabob marinade
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme see notes
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon juice of
- Place all the cut vegetables in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, minced garlic, thyme, balsamic vinegar, kosher salt and lemon.
- Pour the marinade on the vegetables and stir well to mix.
- Marinate the vegetable for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill and thread the vegetables on the skewers.
- Grill the vegetables for 10 minutes on each side over medium heat.
- Serve warm.
- You can use 1 tablespoon fresh thyme instead of 1 teaspoon dried thyme.
- The amount of time needed to grill the vegetables depend on the thickness of the slices and the heat of the grill.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven at 300°F for 10-15 minutes.