Here’s an easy caprese chicken recipe that’s ready in only 30 minutes. Made with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and pesto, this is a delicious easy weeknight dinner. Learn how to make this easy chicken recipe at home with our video and step-by-step tutorial.
I love chicken recipes that are simple and easy to make. You can have dinner on the table in no time with recipes such as Greek one pan chicken and rice or sheet pan Mediterranean chicken as they require minimal preparation and about 30 minutes of cooking time. This mozzarella caprese chicken is another easy recipe that we make for weeknight dinners. It’s simple, easy and calls for just a few basic ingredients.
Caprese chicken with pesto
This recipe is pretty similar to caprese stuffed chicken breast, however, it’s a bit easier and requires less preparation. It’s an easy recipe that calls for just a few ingredients and is fairly easy to make. It’s quick enough that you can make it as a weeknight dinner but pretty enough that you can serve it for a party or gathering.
The classic combination of mozzarella, tomatoes and basil makes this dish very flavorful. If you love making chicken and are looking for new ways to cook chicken at home, this one pan chicken recipe is bound to be your new favorite! It’s already low-carb and gluten free and is perfect for a family dinner.
Ingredients to make caprese chicken recipe
This simple chicken recipe calls for just a few ingredients that you probably already have on hand:
- Chicken breast: Use boneless skinless chicken breast for this recipe.
- Spices: Includes salt, pepper and oregano.
- Olive oil: Extra virgin olive oil would be perfect as always.
- Pesto: You can use store-bought jarred pesto or homemade pesto. This is one of my favorite homemade pesto recipes.
- Mozzarella: Both cow and buffalo mozzarella would work for this recipe.
- Tomatoes: Fresh plum tomatoes are best for this recipe.
- Basil: If you own a basil plant, definitely use fresh leaves.
How to make one pan caprese chicken
Since this is a recipe that comes together so quickly, I suggest you have all the ingredients ready before you start.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally so you have four large pieces. Cutting chicken breast in half also helps them cook faster.
- Par dry the chicken breasts completely and season them with salt, pepper and oregano on both sides. Heat the olive oil in a non stick pan or a well seasoned cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Sear the chicken breasts for about four minutes on each side until they are golden and cooked through.
- Right before the chicken is completely cooked, spread pesto on top of each piece of chicken and top with mozzarella and tomato slices. Cover and cook for about two minutes until the cheese is melted.
Get the good mozzarella
As you have noticed, this easy chicken caprese recipe calls for some very simple ingredients. Therefore it’s so important to get the quality ingredients to get that amazing fresh Italian flavor that you’re looking for. If you know of an Italian shop near you that makes fresh mozzarella, try to use that to make caprese chicken. The difference a good ball of mozzarella can make is very noticeable.
How do I know if the chicken is cooked?
According to FDA guidelines, all poultry must be cooked to 165ºF. Insert an instant read thermometer into the thickets part of the chicken breast to make sure it registers at that temperature.
What to serve with caprese chicken
We love serving this easy chicken dinner with some kind of salad such as Mediterranean salad. You can also serve it with some brown rice or pasta. Also, a drizzle of balsamic glaze would make this chicken caprese even more delicious. You can use this homemade balsamic glaze recipe or simply get a bottle at your grocery store.
Pro tip: Craving a sandwich? Toast some ciabatta bread and make a chicken caprese sandwich using this recipe. With a little bit of balsamic glaze and fresh basil, this sandwich will be the perfect lunch for a busy day!
Notes and tips for making this recipe
- Make sure all the chicken breast pieces are the same size. To slice the chicken breast horizontally, you will need a sharp knife. Keep the non-cutting hand on top of the breast while cutting the chicken.
- Pat dry the chicken breast very well before seasoning. This will help you avoid oil splashing when searing the chicken.
- Cooking time may vary depending on the size of the chicken pieces. It usually takes about four to five minutes to cook the chicken on each side.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to three days. Reheat in a pan or in the microwave.
- You can use sliced cherry tomatoes instead of plum and shredded mozzarella instead of slices for this recipe as well.
Looking for more caprese inspired recipes?
Quick Caprese Chicken Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp pesto Homemade or store bought
- 8 slices mozzarella
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 8 basil leaves
- Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally. Pat dry on both sides and season with salt, pepper and dried oregano.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Sear the chicken breasts for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Just before the chicken is fully cooked, spread the pesto on top of each chicken breast. Top with mozzarella slices and tomatoes. Cover and cook for about two minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh basil leaves and serve immediately. Drizzle with balsamic glaze if desired.
- You can use cherry tomatoes and shredded mozzarella in this recipe as well.
- If desired, drizzle the caprese chicken breasts with balsamic glaze. You can find balsamic glaze at the supermarket in the oil and vinegar aisle or make it at home.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to three days.