“This post has been sponsored by Stella® Cheese. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”
Caprese stuffed chicken breast is easy and packed with flavor. Juicy chicken breast stuffed with cheese, tomatoes and basil makes a delicious meal.
Everyone needs a few delicious chicken recipes in their recipe collection. Our Persian chicken with saffron, Mediterranean chicken recipe and Moroccan chicken recipe are among our fan favorites. Today’s recipe is easy stuffed chicken breast, which is simple enough to make for a weeknight dinner yet fancy enough for a gathering or a party.
Have you ever tried stuffed chicken breast? It’s a delicious way to elevate the humble chicken breast and add so much flavor to it. Plus, this chicken breast recipe calls for cheese and we all know no one can say no to that, right? I found Stella® Fontinella® Rubbed Cheese , which can be found at your local Safeway. Stuffing a chicken breast might seem intimidating but by following this easy recipe, you’ll be able to make this cheese stuffed chicken in no time.
Caprese stuffed chicken ingredients
To make this tasty chicken breast, you need the following ingredients:
- Chicken breasts: preferably plump and all the same size.
- Olive oil: as always, extra virgin is preferred.
- Salt, pepper, garlic and oregano
- Stella® Fontinella® Basil Pesto cheese: available at your local Safeway.
- Tomatoes: I love using fresh tomatoes.
- Basil: fresh basil works best in this recipe.
- Pesto: for extra flavor.
- Balsamic and brown sugar for a balsamic sauce.
I used Stella® Fontinella® Rubbed Cheese (basil pesto) to make this cheese stuffed chicken breast. The fresh flavor of garlic and basil is perfect for this recipe because Stella® Fontinella® Rubbed Wedges are carefully hand-rubbed to create unique flavors. The hand-rubbing enhances the flavor of Stella® Cheese, which is known for its smooth and creamy flavor and texture with just a hint of sharpness.
How to make stuffed chicken with cheese, tomato and basil
Preheat the oven to 350F. Cut the chicken lengthwise but don’t cut it all the way through, 3/4 way is enough. In a small bowl, mix olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano and minced garlic. Rub this mixture inside and outside of the chicken breast. Spread pesto inside the chicken and then stuff it with tomato slices, basil and Stella® Cheese. Seal the open side of the chicken breast using 3-5 toothpicks.
Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat and once it’s hot, sear the stuffed chicken on both sides until golden brown but not cooked all the way through. Place the cast iron skillet in the oven and bake the chicken breasts in the oven for 15-20 minutes until fully cooked. Remove the toothpicks and serve warm.
What’s the best way to make stuffed chicken?
You can make stuffed chicken in the oven or on the stove. This stuffed chicken recipe calls for searing the chicken breast first and then finishing the cooking in the oven. This way, the chicken breast will stay juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside. To make baked stuffed chicken breast, leave out the searing part and bake the chicken breast in the oven for about 30 minutes until fully cooked.
How long to cook stuffed chicken
It takes about 8 minutes to sear the stuffed chicken breast in the pan over medium heat and about 18 minutes in the oven to cook completely. Your caprese stuffed chicken breast will be ready in 30 minutes.
How do you know when stuffed chicken is done?
The first sign that your stuffed chicken is fully cooked is that if you cut into it, juices will run clear. If you insert a meat thermometer into the chicken breast, it should register at 170F. The meat won’t be pink at all and will shred easily.
What goes well with chicken breast?
I love this caprese stuffed chicken breast recipe because it goes well with many delicious side dishes such as pressure cooker brown rice, garlic butter mashed potatoes, Greek potatoes, a simple Mediterranean salad or a caprese pasta salad.
Notes and tips to make stuffed chicken
- If the chicken breast is too thick, pound it a few times before cutting it through.
- Can you make stuffed chicken breast ahead of time? Yes. Prepare the chicken breast and stuff it. Wrap the raw stuffed chicken breast in plastic wrap and store it in a plastic bag. Freeze for up to one month. To cook, thaw in the fridge overnight and proceed with the cooking instructions in the recipe card.
- How to store cheese chicken breast: if you have leftover cooked chicken breast, place it in an airtight glass container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in oven at 250F for 10-20 minutes until heated through.
- Make sure you properly seal the open end of the cheese stuffed chicken as they contain cheese.
- To make spinach and cheese stuffed chicken breast, saute 1 1/2 cup spinach in 1 tbsp olive oil and use it in the filling with tomato, Stella® Cheese and basil.
Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breast
- 4 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 5 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- 8 slices Stella® Fontinella® Basil Pesto Cheese
- 4 slices tomatoes cut in half
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cut each chicken breast lengthwise to make a pocket, make sure not to slice it all the way through.
- In a small bowl, mix 3 tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic. Brush this mixture inside and outside of the chicken breasts.
- Spread pesto inside all chicken breasts and stuff with basil, tomato and Stella® Fontinella® Basil Pesto Cheese slices. Seal each chicken breast using toothpicks.
- Heat the remaining two tablespoons olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Sear the chicken breasts for about 4 minutes on each side until brown.
- Transfer the cast iron skillet to the oven and let the chicken cook for another 15-20 minutes until fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, mix balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a sauce pan and bring to simmer. Reduce balsamic vinegar until you have a semi-thick sauce.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, drizzle with sauce and serve warm.