Caprese sandwich with avocado is perfect for weekdays. You can make this sandwich with just a few ingredients in only 15 minutes.
The fresh and delicious combination of tomato, mozzarella and basil is always a winner. Whether it's in a simple caprese salad, a tasty caprese pizza or caprese pasta salad, everyone loves it with a drizzle of balsamic glaze! Today, we take this classic combo and make it into a sandwich, perfect for a quick lunch.
About this recipe
When we're busy, our go-to meal is usually a sandwich. And once in a while, all I want is just a nice vegetarian sandwich made with fresh ingredients, and this caprese sandwich with avocado checks all the boxes.
I love this twist on the classic caprese sandwich because the avocado spread gives it a nice creaminess that goes so well with the tomatoes, basil and mozzarella. Drizzled with some balsamic reduction, this sandwich is very impressive for a quick lunch!
All about caprese
Caprese is the name of the traditional Italian combination of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil. This combination is traditionally made into a salad called insalata caprese.
However, it can also be turned into appetizer skewers, sandwich, pizza or even as a flavor combination for chicken. The freshness of tomatoes and basil goes perfectly well with the rich consistency and flavor of mozzarella. For this caprese sandwich recipe, I paired the classic combination with some delicious mashed avocados.
- Bread: You can use ciabatta, focaccia or baguette for this recipe.
- Avocado: Both fresh avocado or avocado spread would work. If using fresh avocado, mash it completely and mix it with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Tomatoes: It's best to use firm tomatoes such as heirloom, roma or beefsteak tomatoes.
- Mozzarella: Fresh sliced mozzarella is the key to a delicious caprese sandwich. If you have access to an Italian shop, get your mozzarella there.
- Basil: No caprese sandwich is complete without some fresh basil! Sweet basil or Italian basil work best for this recipe.
- Balsamic glaze: This is optional, but I would strongly suggest you use it. You can either get it at supermarkets (next to balsamic vinegar) or use my recipe for homemade balsamic glaze.
- Toast the bread and place it on a cutting board.
- Spread mashed avocado on the bread and top with tomato slices and mozzarella cheese.
- Place a couple of fresh basil leaves on the tomatoes and drizzle some reduced balsamic (balsamic glaze) and olive oil on the sandwich.
With just a few tweaks and additions, you can make this sandwich into something new!
- Grilled chicken: Adding some protein such as grilled chicken would turn this into a more filling sandwich.
- Grilled vegetables: You can add grilled vegetables such as zucchini and eggplant to this sandwich for more flavor.
- Olives: Marinated olives add just the right amount of flavor to this sandwich.
- Eggs: By adding a poached or hard-boiled egg on the top of the sandwich, you can turn this simple sandwich into a caprese egg sandwich that would make a full lunch or dinner.
Frequently asked questions
I made this sandwich using ciabatta bread but you can also use any kind of bread such as subs, focaccia or sourdough bread. Toasting the bread before making the sandwich would result in better texture and flavor.
It's best to have this sandwich fresh since avocado tends to turn brown after some time.
You can use a large mozzarella ball and slice it yourself, or use sliced mozzarella. I don't recommend using shredded mozzarella for this recipe.
More Italian recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Avocado Caprese Sandwich Recipe
- 4 Ciabatta Bread Cut in half
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 pack WHOLLY® SIMPLY AVOCADO™ Garlic Herb
- 2 Large Tomatoes Sliced
- 8 Slices Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 8 Basil Leaves
- 4 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- Brush Ciabatta bread pieces with olive oil and toast them. You can either toast them in a pan on the stove over medium heat or place them on a baking sheet and broil for 3 minutes until golden.
- Spread WHOLLY® SIMPLY AVOCADO™ Garlic Herb on each piece of bread.
- Top with tomato and mozzarella slices and sprinkle some salt on the sandwich.
- Top with basil leaves and pour some balsamic vinegar on each sandwich.
- Serve immediately.
- I made this sandwich using ciabatta bread but you can also use any kind of bread such as subs, focaccia or sourdough bread. Toasting the bread before making the sandwich would result in better texture and flavor.
- You can drizzle some olive oil on the tomatoes for more flavor.
- In summer this sandwich would be perfect with heirloom tomatoes.
- How to make caprese egg sandwich: By adding a poached or hard-boiled egg on the top of the sandwich, you can turn this simple sandwich into a caprese egg sandwich that would make a full lunch or dinner.
- Avocado caprese salad sandwich is best served immediately so that all the ingredients are delicious and tasty .
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SimplyAvocado #CollectiveBias