Ready in 30 minutes, this Italian chicken skillet recipe is a great option for a healthy and comforting dinner. This is a simple skillet chicken recipe that calls for real ingredients and is seasoned with bright spices and lemon.
When it comes to chicken dinner recipes, we have plenty of options on the blog. This Italian skillet chicken with tomatoes is easy, tasty, and ready in only 30 minutes! If you’re looking for other quick chicken dinner recipes, make sure you check out our Mediterranean chicken and garlic chicken recipes as well. Now enjoy this tender Italian-style seared chicken with sautéed vegetables for a classic homemade dinner!
Table Of Contents:
Why This Recipe Works
- Quick: Ready in 30 minutes, this Italian chicken recipe is a weeknight dinner that you'll enjoy very much!
- Flavors: Thanks to the spice mix and all the vegetables, this dish is packed with delicious flavors!
- Juicy chicken: Because of the even heat distribution, this chicken is juicy and tender while perfectly seared on the outside. The chicken is seared on high heat until golden and the juices are locked in. The vegetables are cooked until tender and then the chicken is returned to the skillet to finish cooking.
Tips To Make The Best Skillet Chicken
Here are a few essential tips to keep in mind when cooking chicken in a skillet:
- Always pat dry: Pat drying the chicken will help it sear and brown better and will also prevent oil from splattering all over.
- Don't be shy with seasoning: Make sure you season the chicken breast well on both sides. No one likes bland chicken for dinner.
- Manage the heat: Cast iron skillets keep the heat pretty well. Therefore, make sure the skillet is not too hot; otherwise your chicken will not cook evenly and completely.
Ingredients To Make Italian Skillet Chicken
- Chicken: To make this Italian skillet chicken recipe, we need boneless skinless chicken breast. Make sure to trim the excess fat and pat dry the chicken before you start cooking.
- Spices: To flavor the chicken, I used oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder. This spice mix is simple and not too overpowering, giving the chicken a nice and bright flavor.
- Vegetables: Onions, garlic, tomatoes, spinach and capers are cooked together in the skillet until tender. This dish is perfect for summer when tomatoes are sweet and in season.
How To Make Italian Skillet Chicken
- Season the chicken: If the chicken breasts are too thick, cut them in half horizontally. Pat dry the chicken breasts on both sides and season it with oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Sear the chicken: Place a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and pour two tablespoons of olive oil into the pan. Let the oil heat until it’s shimmery but not smoking. Carefully place the chicken in the pan and sear on one side until golden brown - this should take about four to five minutes. Flip and sear on the other side for another four minutes until golden brown. Take the chicken out of the skillet and set it aside.
- Cook the vegetables: Add one tablespoon olive oil to the same pan and saute onion and garlic. Add the cherry tomatoes to the skillet and cook until they start blistering. Then, add spinach and capers. Stir and cook until spinach is wilted.
- Final touches: Add the chicken breast back to the skillet and cook for a few minutes so it heats through. Finish with fresh squeezed lemon juice for bright and fresh flavor.
What I love about this recipe is that you can add or leave out spices and vegetables based on your preference. Here are a few suggestions:
- Add Italian herb seasoning or dried basil for more flavor. To make this dish spicy, use ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper in the spice mix.
- You can use other vegetables including zucchini, eggplants, olives and mushrooms.
You can serve this Italian skillet chicken with different side dishes. Here are a few suggestions:
Salads: Mediterranean salad, green goddess salad, caprese salad and roasted cauliflower salad.
Starchy side dishes: Greek oven roasted potatoes, pesto pasta, spaghetti aglio e olio, Mediterranean oven roasted vegetables, Greek lemon rice and tortellini pasta salad.
Frequently Asked Questions
For skillet recipes I usually use my 10 inch cast-iron skillet, but a stainless steel skillet would work as well. If you have a good quality non-stick pan, you can use that too.
Yes, in addition to boneless skinless chicken breast, you can also use chicken tenders or boneless skinless chicken thighs. Cooking time might slightly change.
Yes, you can make this recipe a few hour ahead of time and reheat right before serving.
If the chicken breast is cut horizontally and is not too thick, it takes about 4 minutes per side to cook it without drying it out.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a pan over medium low heat with a little bit of water until warm.
More Chicken Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Italian Skillet Chicken Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup spinach
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 lemon juice of
- Pat dry the chicken and season with oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder on all sides.
- Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat until it's shimmery but not smoking. Place the chicken breasts in the skillet and sear for 4-5 minutes on one side. Flip and sear for another 4 minutes on the other side until golden. Take the chicken out of the skillet and set it aside.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in the same skillet. Saute onion and garlic until translucent. Add in the tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are blistered. Add in the spinach and capers and cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and cook for a minute. Add lemon juice and serve immediately.
- Pat drying the chicken will help it sear and brown better and will also keep it from splattering oil all over.
- You can also use chicken tenders or boneless skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breast.
- Make sure to season the chicken breast well on both sides. No one likes bland chicken for dinner.
- Cast iron skillet keeps the heat pretty well. Therefore make sure the skillet is not too hot otherwise your chicken will not cook evenly and completely.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can also freeze this dish for up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
This is a wonderfully balanced, delicious dish;) I was excited to make it and was extremely happy with the results. I followed the recipe exactly, except I used fresh oregano (in small plastic package found in produce section of grocery store) and it was yummy! It was simple to make and yet has layers of flavor! Thank you for sharing this fantastic chicken recipe! I will most definitely be trying more of your recipes!;))
This chicken looks really delicious. I love added capers. I'll make this tomorrow for dinner. Can't wait.
Love the freshness the lemon adds to this chicken dish. Great weeknight dinner and gotta love a skillet meal!
Loved this recipe, however the ingredient lists capers however the instructions don't say when to add them. Also if someone is a novice at cooking you don't say to slice the garlic or leave it whole.
I did make this and it was delicious but you should check your instructions carefully.
Hi Sylvia, thank you for your note. We've added extra instructions to the recipe.
It says to add capers when you add the spinach...so it’s like the last ingredient before squeezing the lemon on it...n I used minced garlic n a jar, 2 and 1/2 teaspoons and it worked beautifully. Sorry, just wanted to share because I get so frustrated when I am trying a new recipe and it’s confusing or turns out weird because ingredient amount or timing is confusing and off. Hope this helps...(I am just a fellow recipe cooker lol, not the person who wrote the recipe). Take care;)
Dishes like this skillet chicken are so great for weeknights. This recipe is delicious. I made it last night with cherry tomatoes from my garden and everyone loved it! Will be making it again!
Such a tasty chicken dish and perfect for weeknights.
It is an easy and quick dish to make, love the spice combination used
This chicken is so tasty! And simple - it makes for a great weeknight meal, and is loved by all family members. We are huge fans of the Italian flavours.
Nart at Cooking with Nart
This recipe is so delicious. Love the color on the outside and tender of the chicken inside.
This chicken is perfect! It's so easy to make on a weeknight and the kind of meal that the whole family loves!
So tasty and a great meal idea!