This Italian chicken skillet recipe is a great option for those of you looking for healthy comfort food. Enjoy a tender Italian-style seared chicken with sauteed vegetables for a classic homemade dinner!
When it comes to chicken dinner recipes, we have plenty of options on the blog. This Italian skillet chicken with tomatoes is easy, tasty, and ready in only 30 minutes! If you’re looking for other quick chicken dinner recipes, make sure you check out our Mediterranean chicken and garlic chicken recipes as well.
Why this recipe works
I love this 30-minute Italian skillet chicken recipe because it’s quick and flavorful. Thanks to the even heat distribution, this chicken is juicy and tender while perfectly seared on the outside.
The chicken is seared on high heat until golden. The vegetables are cooked by themselves until tender and then the chicken is returned to the skillet to finish cooking. You can serve it with some brown rice for a delicious dinner.
Tips to make the best skillet chicken
Here are a few essential tips to keep in mind when cooking chicken in a skillet:
Always pat dry
Pat drying the chicken will help it sear and brown better and will also prevent oil from splattering all over.
Don’t be shy with seasoning
Make sure you season the chicken breast well on both sides. No one likes bland chicken for dinner.
Manage the heat
Cast iron skillets keep the heat pretty well. Therefore, make sure the skillet is not too hot; otherwise your chicken will not cook evenly and completely.
To make this Italian skillet chicken recipe, we need boneless skinless chicken breast. Make sure to trim the excess fat and pat dry the chicken before you start cooking.
To flavor the chicken, I used oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder. This spice mix is simple and not too overpowering, giving the chicken a nice and bright flavor.
Onions, garlic, tomatoes, spinach and capers are cooked together in the skillet until tender. This dish is perfect for summer when tomatoes are sweet and in season.
Season the chicken
Pat dry the chicken breast on both sides and season it with oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Cook the chicken in the skillet
Place a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and pour two tablespoons of olive oil into the pan. Let the oil heat until it’s shimmery but not smoking. Carefully place the chicken in the pan and sear on one side until golden brown - this should take about four to five minutes. Flip and sear on the other side for another four minutes until golden brown. Take the chicken out of the skillet and set it aside.
Cook the vegetables
Add one tablespoon olive oil to the same pan and saute onion and garlic. Add the cherry tomatoes to the skillet and cook until they start blistering. Then, add spinach and capers. Stir and cook until spinach is wilted.
Add the chicken breast back to the skillet and cook for a few minutes so it heats through. Finish with fresh squeezed lemon juice for bright and fresh flavor.
You can serve this Italian skillet chicken with different side dishes. Here are a few suggestions:
Italian Skillet Chicken Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup spinach
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 lemon juice of
- Pat dry the chicken and season with oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder on all sides.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat until it's shimmery but not smoking. Place the chicken breasts in the skillet and sear for 4-5 minutes on one side. Flip and sear for another 4 minutes on the other side until golden. Take the chicken out of the skillet and set it aside.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in the same skillet. Saute onion and garlic until translucent. Add in the tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are blistered. Add in the spinach and capers and cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet and cook for a minute. Add lemon juice and serve immediately.
- Pat drying the chicken will help it sear and brown better and will also keep it from splattering oil all over.
- Make sure to season the chicken breast well on both sides. No one likes bland chicken for dinner.
- Cast iron skillet keeps the heat pretty well. Therefore make sure the skillet is not too hot otherwise your chicken will not cook evenly and completely.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.