These caprese skewers are super easy, ready in 10 minutes and perfect for entertaining. Made with 4 ingredients including mozzarella, tomatoes and basil, this appetizer is crowd pleasing and tasty.
Caprese is a classic flavor combination that can be incorporated into many recipes. As a quick lunch, you can make an avocado caprese sandwich or caprese pasta salad and if you're looking for a nice but quick dinner, try caprese gnocchi, caprese pizza and caprese chicken. These mini caprese skewers are always a showstopper at any party and so quick and simple to make! And it gets better: they're naturally gluten free and vegetarian. Check out all our appetizer recipes to get ideas for your next gatherings.
Table Of Contents:
About this recipe
If you are a fan of caprese salad, you’re going to love these little skewers. They are so easy to make and serve, which makes them ideal for entertaining. Because of the beautiful red, white and green colors, these skewers add a touch of color to any table.
I’ve written at length about caprese before, but just to catch up, here is a brief introduction: caprese refers to the combination of mozzarella, tomato and basil. It’s an Italian classic that also represents the colors of the Italian flag.
This is a no-cook appetizer that's so simple to make. It has a great flavor thanks to sweet cherry tomatoes and is easy to cook and eat. Caprese skewers are light and nicely balance other party appetizers.
To make these little caprese salad skewers, you need the following ingredients:
- Mozzarella cheese: You can either cut a large ball of mozzarella into chunks or use mozzarella balls called Bocconcini.
- Tomatoes: I love using cherry or grape tomatoes for this recipe. I don't recommend using sliced tomatoes because they release too much liquid.
- Basil: Fresh basil leaves are perfect for these skewers. In summer, you can easily use basil grown in your garden if available.
Pro tip: Since this is a simple recipe with simple ingredients, it's best to use quality cheese and tomatoes for the best flavor.
- Prepare the ingredients: Wash and dry the basil leaves and the tomatoes, then cut the mozzarella slices into quarters.
- Thread on skewers: Thread the ingredients on the skewers. I used 4" wooden skewers to make this appetizer. You can also use cocktail picks which have a great appearance for entertaining.
- Serve: Place the skewers on a wooden board or a plate and serve cold.
To make these skewers even more delicious, you can drizzle some balsamic glaze (balsamic reduction) or basil oil on them, or serve them on the side so everyone can use their preferred condiment. You can also simply drizzle them with some extra virgin olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. These caprese skewers would be a nice addition to a barbecue table with some beef shish kabob, spatchcock chicken or Greek grilled chicken.
Can I make these ahead of time?
You can make these caprese salad skewers 12 hours before serving. Once you prepare them, place them on a plate and cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Additions and variations
These skewers taste great on their own, but if you're looking to add something extra, here are a few suggestions:
- Marinated mozzarella balls
- Watermelon cubes
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Salami or prosciutto
- Cooked shrimp
- Grilled chicken
- Cubes bread
More appetizer recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Caprese Skewers Appetizer
- Wash and dry the tomatoes and basil leaves.
- Cut the mozzarella slices into quarters.
- Thread a cherry tomato on the skewer. Place the mozzarella in the middle of the basil leaf and thread on the skewers.
- Repeat until you run out of ingredients.
- Place the skewers on a plate or wooden board and serve with balsamic reduction or basil oil.
- You can make these appetizer skewers up to 12 hours in advance. Place them on a plate, wrap with a plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- You can use other ingredients such as salami, grilled chicken and cubed bread on the skewers as well.