Basil oil is a delicious condiment that you can use on salads, chicken, fish or sandwiches. It's vegan, gluten free, dairy free and Whole30 approved.
I love basil and try to use it in different dishes. In summer when basil plants are at their prime, I make dishes like caprese pasta salad, caprese stuffed chicken and avocado caprese sandwiches on a regular basis. Few ingredients can compete with the fresh flavor of crisp basil, right? This basil oil shows off this herb at its finest. Smooth and tasty, this recipe is one you will definitely want to bookmark for future reference!
It's important to note that this is not a pesto recipe. Basil oil is smoother than pesto and does not contain any kind of nuts. It's a great way to use up those basil leaves you have in the fridge and turn them into a delicious infused oil. You can make it in a small blender or one of those mini food processors that I actually find pretty useful and handy. The color of this condiment is deep green and it has a bright flavor that goes well with anything from pasta to chicken to vegetables.
What's basil oil made of?
This delicious green condiment is made with just a few ingredients:
- Fresh basil
- Olive Oil - It's best to use high quality olive oil.
What kind of basil to use
There are so many types of basil out there but a few common ones are Italian basil, sweet basil and Thai basil. When shopping for basil to use in this recipe, make sure you get sweet basil or Italian basil. I also recommend these types of basil if you want to make homemade pesto. They also work very well with olive oil and give a nice flavor to just about any type of Italian or Mediterranean-style dish.
How do you make basil oil
- Wash the basil leaves thoroughly and dry them well.
- Place the basil leaves, olive oil, salt and pepper in a mini food processor.
- Blend until all is combined and smooth.
- Taste as add more salt and pepper if needed.
A little note: If the oil is too thick for your liking, add more olive oil and blend again.
What to use basil olive oil for
You can use this basil infused olive oil in many different recipes. Here are some of our suggestions:
- Sliced tomato and mozzarella
- Grilled chicken
- Roasted vegetables
- Caprese salad
- Use as a dip with bread
- Hard boiled eggs
- Avocado toast
Basil olive oil dressing recipe
If you want to use infused olive oil in salads, try this quick and easy dressing recipe:
- In a small bowl, mix two tablespoon lemon juice and ½ teaspoon sugar.
- Add in the basil oil and two tablespoons of water.
- Mix well and drizzle over your favorite salad.
How long does basil oil keep?
It's best to use this flavored olive oil the same day you make it. However, you can keep it for up to two days in a mason jar in the fridge. When ready to use, shake the jar well.
Can I freeze this?
Freezing basil oil is very easy. Simply pour the oil in an ice tray and freeze. Once ready to use, pop one of the cubes out and let it melt. Then use it in any recipe you like.
I try to keep a small jar of this herb infused condiment in the fridge and use it in different recipes. It's such an easy way to add flavor and freshness to many dishes and make them more delicious. Let me know how you like to use it in your recipes!
Easy Basil Oil Recipe
- 1 cup fresh basil washed and dried
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Place the basil leaves in a small food processor.
- Add in olive oil, salt and peppers.
- Blend for some seconds until well combined and smooth.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- It's best to use high quality olive oil in this recipe.
- To make this recipe use sweet basil or Italian basil.