Basil oil is a delicious condiment that you can use on salads, chicken, fish or sandwiches. It's vegan, gluten free, dairy free and Whole30 approved and most importantly, it takes only 5 minutes to make it!
I love basil and try to use it in different dishes. In summer when basil plants are at their prime, I make dishes like caprese salad, caprese stuffed chicken and avocado caprese sandwiches on a regular basis. Few ingredients can compete with the fresh flavor of crisp basil, right? This basil oil shows off this herb at its finest. Smooth and tasty, this recipe is one you will definitely want to bookmark for future reference!
About this recipe
It's important to note that this is not a pesto recipe. Basil oil is smoother than pesto and does not contain any kind of nuts. It's a great way to use up those basil leaves you have in the fridge and turn them into a delicious infused oil.
You can make this recipe in a small blender or one of those mini food processors that I actually find pretty useful and handy. The color of this condiment is deep green and it has a bright flavor that goes well with anything from pasta to chicken to vegetables.
- Fresh basil: As you might know, there are many types of basil out there. For this recipe we are using Italian basil or sweet basil. Make sure you don't use Thai basil because the flavor is completely different. You can use the same basil to make homemade pesto.
- Olive Oil - It's best to use high quality olive oil because it makes all the difference.
- Seasoning: Since all we want it for the flavor of basil to shine, salt and pepper would be enough seasoning.
- Wash the basil leaves thoroughly and dry them well.
- Place the basil leaves, olive oil, salt and pepper in a mini food processor.
- Blend until all is combined and smooth.
- Taste as add more salt and pepper if needed.
A little note: If the oil is too thick for your liking, add more olive oil and blend again.
I try to keep a small jar of this herb infused condiment in the fridge and use it in different recipes. It's such an easy way to add flavor and freshness to many dishes and make them more delicious. Here are some of our suggestions:
- Pasta salad
- Grilled chicken
- Roasted vegetables
- Use as a dip with bread
- Hard boiled eggs
- Avocado toast
You can also turn it into basil olive oil dressing. Try this quick and easy dressing recipe:
- In a small bowl, mix two tablespoon lemon juice and ½ teaspoon sugar.
- Add in the basil oil and two tablespoons of water.
- Mix well and drizzle over your favorite salad.
Frequently asked questions
It's best to use this flavored olive oil the same day you make it. However, you can keep it for up to two days in a mason jar in the fridge. When ready to use, shake the jar well.
Freezing basil oil is very easy. Simply pour the oil in an ice tray and freeze. Once ready to use, pop one of the cubes out and let it melt. Then use it in any recipe you like.
No, basil infused olive oil doesn't container basil leaves when served however this recipe keeps the basil leaves in the oil.
More dips and spreads
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Easy Basil Oil Recipe
- 1 cup fresh basil washed and dried
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Place the basil leaves in a small food processor.
- Add in olive oil, salt and peppers.
- Blend for some seconds until well combined and smooth.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- It's best to use high quality olive oil in this recipe.
- To make this recipe use sweet basil or Italian basil.