Instant pot hard boiled eggs always turn out perfectly. Learn how to boil eggs in instant pot so they turn our exactly how you want them, be it soft boiled, medium boiled or hard boiled.
Instant pot is one of the very few kitchen appliances that I think is quite useful to have on hand all the time. You can make so many instant pot recipes such as Italian sausage pasta in instant pot in less that 25 minutes and have a tasty chicken tortilla soup in no time. Going back to the basics, today I'm going to show you how to make perfect hard boiled eggs in instant pot.
Why should I make hard boiled eggs in instant pot?
You might think to yourself, why would I want to make hard boiled eggs in an instant pot, of all things? Here are a few reasons:
- Instant pot boiled eggs turn our perfectly every time. Whether you want soft boiled or hard boiled eggs, they're going to be cooked exactly how you like them to be.
- You can cook 6 eggs at the same time and all of them would cook equally.
- They peel very easily.
- There won't be any green rings around your hard boiled eggs because they will be cooked just enough.
What is the 5-5-5 method?
Some call the 5-5-5 method the ultimate method of boiling eggs in instant pot. I think it's a pretty easy and comfortable method that will result in perfect eggs. The 5-5-5 method includes:
- 5 minutes high pressure cook
- 5 minutes natural release
- 5 minutes ice water bath
It's a simple method that's pretty easy to remember. The 5 minute natural release is the key to perfectly hard boiled eggs because if you do a quick release right away, the eggs will have softer yolks. 5 minutes in the ice bath will help so much with the peeling and no egg white will stick to the shells.
How to make hard boiled eggs in instant pot?
Fill the instant pot with one cup of water. place the trivet the comes with the product inside the instant pot. Place seven eggs on the trivet and secure the lid. Make sure the vent knob is on "seal".
Press the "pressure cook" button and set it on high. Set the timer for 5 minutes. It will take about 5 minutes for the instant pot to come to high pressure and then the timer will start counting down. Once the 5 minutes cooking time is done, wait another 5 minutes for natural pressure release. Then do a quick release by turning the knob to "vent".
Once the lid is unlocked, take the eggs out of the instant pot very carefully and put them in an ice water bath for 5 minutes. Peel and enjoy right away or store in the fridge.
How to peel hard boiled eggs
Instant pot hard boiled eggs are the easiest eggs to peel. After they cool in the water bath, roll each egg on the counter to crack and then start peeling right away.
Medium boil and soft boil eggs in instant pot
I love making eggs in instant pot because it can make any style of boiled eggs I look for:
- Medium boiled eggs: Cook the eggs in the instant pot on high pressure for 4 minutes, do a quick release (no natural release) and 5 minutes in water bath.
- Soft boiled eggs: Cook the eggs for 3 minutes in instant pot, do a quick release (no natural release) and 5 minutes in water bath.
How to store hard boiled eggs
I prefer to peel hard boiled eggs before storing them because they stay better and more delicious. After your instant pot hard boiled eggs have cooled, peel them carefully and place them in a glass airtight container. Hard boiled eggs can be refrigerated for up to 7 days but I prefer to use them in a couple of days.
Can I freeze hard boiled eggs
Unfortunately, no. Hard boiled eggs lose their texture and consistency when frozen, so it's best to use them fresh or refrigerated.
What can I do with hard boiled eggs?
There are so many recipes that use hard boiled eggs. Some of my favorites are yeralma yumurta (Turkish potatoes and eggs) and Mediterranean deviled eggs. You can also add hard boiled eggs to Russian salad (ensalada rusa) or roasted cauliflower salad.
Best Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- 1 cup water
- 6 eggs large
- Pour the water into the instant pot.
- Place the trivet in the instant pot and place the eggs on the trivet.
- Secure the lid and turn the knob to seal. Press "pressure cook" and set it on high.
- Set the timer for 5 minutes and wait for the instant pot to start pressurizing. It will take about 5 minutes. Then the 5 minute countdown will start.
- Once the 5 minute cooking time is finished, let the pressure release naturally for only 5 minutes, then do a quick release by turning the knob to "vent".
- Once the quick release is done, open the lid and transfer the eggs to a bowl full of water and ice.
- After 5 minutes, peel and serve the instant pot hard boiled eggs.