Oven roasted tomatoes are so easy to make and are delightfully delicious. Make them into pasta sauce, or simply serve with a crusty bread. However you serve these roasted tomatoes, they’re going to be perfect.
I love roasted vegetables and enjoy having them in different dishes. These Mediterranean roasted vegetables are the perfect side dish and my favorite roasted vegetable pasta recipe is a weeknight time saver. This roasted tomatoes recipe is a simple side dish that’s bursting with so much flavor. It’s the best way to use up all those tomatoes that are sitting in the fridge.
As you might know, tomatoes are used frequently in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean recipes. From Turkish tomato salad (Gavurdagi) and Persian one pot tomato rice to caponata, tomatoes are used in different forms and shapes in everyday recipes. Oven roasted tomatoes are a great addition to many dishes, including simple sauces and roasted tomato soup. If you have a bunch of tomatoes sitting in your fridge, this is the recipe you need to try.
Quick roasted tomatoes
Nothing beats biting into juicy red tomatoes. But roasting them is a whole other story, especially in cold seasons when tomatoes are not as sweet. Roasting tomatoes in the oven would take our all their sweetness and you can use them to make sauce, soup or any other recipe calling for tomatoes.
While slow roasting tomatoes is a great method that results in super sweet tomatoes, it’s a time-consuming process. Therefore here we have a quick roasted tomatoes recipe that’s ready in 30 to 40 minutes thanks to the 400ºF oven.
What kind of tomatoes are good for roasting?
You can roast almost any kind of tomatoes. From campari and plum tomatoes to cherry tomatoes, with just a little bit of olive oil and spices, you can make these quick oven roasted tomatoes at home to enjoy any time. If using larger tomatoes like roma, cut them in half lengthwise. However, you can leave smaller tomatoes like cherry or grape tomatoes can be left whole.
How to roast tomatoes
It’s so easy to make these quick oven roasted tomatoes at home. You can use this method for any kind of tomatoes. Depending on the type of tomatoes, roasting time might vary.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, gently mix tomatoes with salt, pepper, garlic, oregano and olive oil.
- Place the tomatoes in the oven cut side down and roast them in the oven until they’re juicy and slightly charred.
How long does it take to roast tomatoes?
For roma tomatoes it takes about 40 minutes to roast them in the oven at 400ºF. If working with Campari tomatoes, the roasting time would be around 35 minutes and for roasted cherry tomatoes and roasted grape tomatoes, it would take about 20 to 25 minutes to roast them in the oven.
Shall I remove the skin?
It’s not necessary to remove the skin when roasting tomatoes. To use roasted tomatoes in different recipes, I leave the skin on as it has a lot of flavor. However, you can remove it if you prefer.
How long will roasted tomatoes keep in the fridge?
You can make a big batch of roasted tomatoes and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days and use them during the week. Add them to your salads, rice or soup to simply add more flavor.
How to use oven roasted tomatoes
There are so many ways you can use oven roasted tomatoes. From soups to sauces and everything in between. Here are some ideas for you to make using oven roasted tomatoes:
- Italian beef stew
- Pasta with roasted tomatoes
- Mix with eggs for breakfast (see menemen)
- Roasted tomato and garlic pizza sauce
- Put on burgers
- Pair with your favorite cheese as an appetizer
Can oven roasted tomatoes be frozen?
Yes. Fresh tomatoes don’t freeze well because of their texture and the amount of liquid they have. However, roasted tomatoes freeze pretty well. Once the tomatoes are cooled, place them in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 4 months. To use, there is no need to thaw them. Simply chop them with a knife and use them in sauces, chilis or soups.
Notes and tips for roasted tomatoes recipe
- Use aluminum foil to line your baking sheet. This would make cleaning up a breeze.
- In addition or instead of dried oregano, you can use other herbs to flavor the tomatoes such as basil, rosemary, thyme or parsley. It’s possible to use either fresh or dried herbs.
- I used minced garlic in this recipe but you can also use whole garlic cloves to save time.
- Add a splash of balsamic vinegar to the tomatoes for a bit of tang and sweetness.
- To make good roasted tomatoes, your tomatoes need to be juicy. It’s okay if the tomatoes are not firm and have softened, they will still be good when roasted.
Easy Oven Roasted Tomatoes Recipe (Video)
Oven roasted tomatoes are so easy to make and are delightfully delicious. Make them into pasta sauce, or simply serve with a crusty bread. However you serve these roasted tomatoes, they're going to be perfect.
- 3 lb roma tomatoes cut in half
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Coat with non stick spray.
- Place the tomatoes in a large bowl. To the bowl add olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, cumin and Aleppo pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Place the tomatoes on the baking sheet, cut side down.
- Roast the tomatoes in the oven for 40 minutes until they're roasted and briefly charred.
- For cherry tomatoes, there is no need to cut them in half. Simply mix them with olive oil and spices and roast them at 400ºF for 20 minutes until they're roasted and juicy.
- You can make different dishes using roasted tomatoes such as pasta sauce, pizza sauce or as an appetizer with crusty bread.