This oven roasted potatoes recipe is easy and makes the perfect side dish. Flavored with garlic and roasted to perfection, these potatoes are irresistible. These potatoes are crispy on the inside and tender on the inside, and are the perfect addition to your dinner table.
I love roasting vegetables for a healthy and delicious side dish. From Mediterranean style roasted vegetables to roasted tomatoes and garlic roasted brussel sprouts, I have played in the kitchen with many vegetables to find the perfect roasting method for each of them. But my all time favorite roasted vegetable is potato. It gets so flavorful and tasty when roasted properly, and I can always count on it to be a tasty side dish to any main dish I have.
An oven roasted potatoes recipe for any time
They key to golden roasted potatoes that are crispy and delicious is to roast them at the right temperature for the right amount of time. In this recipe, we have discussed everything you need to know about roasted potatoes. From what kind of potatoes to use to what to serve them with and of course, flavor variations.
A good sheet of roasted potatoes can bring a whole meal together and wow people. You know how sometimes you go to a dinner party and you just love the side dish so much you wonder what’s so special about it? This is that kind of a dish. With the right spices and roasting method, your humble oven roasted potatoes will become the star of the show.
What kind of potatoes to use
The main question here is: what’s the best potato for roasting? You want to use a type of potato that can hold its shape. My suggestions are yukon gold, red potatoes and russet potatoes. These potatoes are easy to work with, taste great and keep their shape pretty well. Potatoes actually have a lot of nutritional benefits that are overseen and many don’t know about.
How to clean potatoes
If like me, you enjoy roasting potatoes with skin, make sure to clean them properly. To do so, scrub and rinse the potatoes with cold water. Make sure no dirt is sticking to the skin.
Do I need to boil the potatoes before roasting?
Some suggest that you parboil the potatoes before roasting them to have potatoes that are very creamy on the inside. I usually don’t take this step because, well, it’s an extra step. To have good roasted potatoes, you don’t need to boil them before roasting.
How to roast potatoes in oven
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF and coat a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Rinse and scrub the potatoes thoroughly. Cut them into 1-inch pieces.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl and stir in olive oil, salt, dried oregano and minced garlic.
- Transfer the potatoes to the baking sheet and roast in the oven until they are crispy on the outside and cooked on the inside. Flip the potatoes once halfway through the roasting process for even crispiness.
- Serve immediately.
This oven roasted potatoes recipe is one of the recipes that a novice cook should always have at hand. It’s an easy way to make a delicious side dish that can go with almost any main dish.
How long to roast potatoes
It’s important to roast the potatoes at high heat for a short time to have them super crispy. Here are two variations to do so:
- Bake at 400ºF for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 425ºF for 20-25 minutes.
Both these temperatures and timings will give you crispy potatoes. Roasting the potatoes at anything lower than 400ºF would result in softer potatoes.
Flavor variations for oven roasted potatoes recipe
You’ll be surprised by how versatile this oven roasted potatoes recipe is. You can add any spices and flavors that you love to make this recipe even better. Here are a few combination that you can add to the potatoes before roasting them:
- Garlic herb: 4 minced garlic cloves + 1 tsp dried oregano + 1 tsp dried rosemary + salt + black pepper
- Turmeric: 1/2 tsp turmeric + salt + black pepper
- Garlic parmesan: 3 minced garlic cloves + 1/2 cup parmesan + black pepper
- Spicy: 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper + 1/2 tsp smoked paprika + salt
What to serve roasted potatoes with
Simply anything. Any main dish would be perfect with a side of oven roasted potatoes. Here are some of our favorites:
- Mediterranean chicken (sheet pan dinner)
- Baked dijon salmon
- Lemon butter chicken
- Garlic lemon shrimp
- Lamb loin chops
A few notes for roasting potatoes in the oven
- Soak in water: If you like to have extra crispy potatoes and have the time, soak the potatoes in cold water to remove some of the starch. Chop the potatoes, fill a bowl with cold water and add the potatoes to the water. Let them soak for 20 minutes, then drain and rinse them. Pat dry with a paper towel and proceed with the recipe.
- Skip the parchment paper: For the ultimate crispy potatoes, leave out the parchment paper and roast the potatoes directly on the baking sheet. Sure, the sheet needs to be cleaned after, but the potatoes will be extraordinary.
- Single layer: When placing the potatoes in the pan, make sure not to overcrowd the pan and don’t overlap the potatoes. Having the potatoes in an even layer will give you crispy and evenly roasted potatoes.
- Cut the potatoes evenly: Make sure the potato chunks are the same size so they roast evenly. Uneven potatoes will result in some getting burnt and some stay raw. I usually cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes. And if I’m using baby potatoes, I simply cut them in half.
- Stir once: Halfway through the roasting process, you will here the potatoes sizzle. Take the time and stir the potatoes once to make sure they all are flipped once. This will help them roast evenly and get crispy on all sides.
- Serve immediately: Oven roasted potatoes are best served immediately. If they sit out for long and get cold, chances are they get soggy as well and we definitely don’t want that.
Can I freeze roasted potatoes?
It’s possible to do so but I strongly suggest you don’t freeze roasted potatoes. They will lose the texture and the flavor will be off. It’s always best to make and serve them fresh right out of the oven.
More potato recipes for you
- Greek potatoes
- Mediterranean potato salad
- Turkish homemade potato salad
- Skordalia (Greek potato and garlic dip)
- Stuffed potato patties
Crispy Oven Roasted Potatoes Recipe
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes see notes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and coat a baking sheet with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Wash and scrub the potatoes. Cut them into 1-inch pieces. Pat dry them with a kitchen towel.
- In a large bowl, mix the potatoes with olive oil, salt, dried oregano and garlic.
- Place the potatoes on the baking sheet in one single layer. Don't overcrowd the baking sheet and make sure they don't overlap.
- Roast the potatoes in the oven for 25 minutes until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Serve immediately.
- You can use red potatoes, russet potatoes or yukon gold potatoes.
- Use other spices such as dried rosemary, paprika or cayenne pepper for other flavors.