This is an easy potato hash recipe that works well for breakfast and brunch. Make this easy breakfast hash recipe using just a few ingredients.
Breakfast is one of our favorite meals and we have so many recipes that you can try. For example, we love quick breakfast pizza, churro waffles and sausage breakfast muffins. This Mediterranean potato hash skillet is also perfect for brunch or breakfast.
This post is sponsored by Wild Garden. All opinions are mine.
Why this breakfast hash recipe works
If you love different breakfast options, you need to try this delicious potato hash with eggs. I promise you won’t be disappointed because this breakfast skillet is:
- Simple and easy: Chop a few veggies, saute them and cook some eggs. Easy even for a novice cook.
- Bursting with flavor: I’m talking sumac, thyme and shallots. This potato hash skillet appeals to many tastes.
- Versatile: There are so many vegetables and other ingredients that you can add to this breakfast potato hash.
What is breakfast hash made of?
Breakfast hash is basically a combination of onion, garlic, shallot, potatoes, peppers, eggs and spices all cooked in one pan. For sauteing the vegetables and cooking, I used Wild Garden Premium Ghee to add depth to this dish. Ghee has a high smoke point which means less burning and smoke when you’re frying or sauteing. Ghee is nutritious and easily digestible. It can be used in place of butter for cooking dishes like potato hash.
This is a Mediterranean style breakfast hash, so I’ve used thyme and sumac for flavoring and decided to top the final dish with an epic homemade tahini sauce made with Wild Garden All Natural Tahini. I love this tahini because of its fresh taste and creamy texture.
How to make breakfast hash the Mediterranean way
Melt ghee in a large pan over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic and shallots until translucent. Add in chopped bell pepper and cook it for a few minutes. Then, add chopped potatoes and saute until fully cooked, stirring occasionally. Make three wells in the pan and break an egg into each well. Turn the heat down to low and cook for 5 minutes until they’re cooked. Top skillet breakfast with feta, dill, tomatoes and tahini sauce.
The lemon tahini sauce is a delicious topping for this easy potato hash and eggs. All you need to do is to stir in some lemon juice into tahini with some salt and black pepper. Add in a few tablespoons of water to make the sauce thinner and then drizzle it over the potato hash. You can store the leftover tahini sauce in a glass jar and refrigerate for up to 7 days and use it on salads or even as a dip.
Can I make breakfast potato hash without eggs?
Absolutely. Eggs are simply an addition that you can leave out if you prefer and make a Mediterranean breakfast potato hash skillet without eggs.
Want to elevate this potato hash recipe?
- To make this potato hash recipe with eggs I used golden potatoes but you can also use red potatoes, russet potatoes or even sweet potatoes.
- You can add different vegetables to this recipe such as zucchini, cauliflower, tomatoes, carrots, spinach or fennel.
- Love spicy breakfast? Simply add 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or one diced jalapeno to the onion and garlic.
- If you like making breakfast hash with sausage, use Italian chicken sausage and cook it in olive oil and set it aside. Then start making the breakfast hash recipe and add in the cooked sausage after the potatoes are cooked. Then add in the eggs and cook them.
- Add leftover steak, chicken or chorizo to this breakfast hash for a complete breakfast or brunch.
Mediterranean Breakfast Hash
- 2 tbsp Wild Garden Ghee
- 1 red onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 lb yellow potatoes diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup fresh dill chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/3 cup olives black and Kalamata
- 1/2 cup Wild Garden Tahini
- 1 lemon juice of
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt the ghee in the pan.
- Saute onion, garlic and shallot until translucent.
- Add in bell peppers and cook over medium heat until cooked.
- Add in diced potatoes, stir well and cook for about 15-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, make three wells in the pan and break the eggs in the well.
- Cover and turn the heat to low. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the eggs are cooked.
- Top with feta, dill, tomatoes and olives. Drizzle with tahini sauce.
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir well until fully combined.