Start you mornings with a dessert-flavored breakfast. Churro Waffles are delicious fluffy waffles full of cinnamon sugar, served with some delicious chocolate!
Churro waffles is like having dessert for breakfast. I see zero complaints there!
Mornings need to start with a delicious breakfast that wake up up and make us happy. In our home, like many others, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
Depending on the day, our breakfasts may vary, from delicious breakfast pizza to apple pie crepes to a quick sweet and spicy breakfast toast. But one of our all time favorite breakfast recipes is this tasty churro waffles.
Why this churro waffle recipe works?
These churro waffles are a great option because first, they are so easy to make and instead of frying the dough to have churros, you can simply get the flavor by making some waffles for breakfast and coat it with cinnamon and sugar.
And, secondly, they’re pretty quick and easy to make. It literally takes thirty minutes to make these delicious waffles that the whole family would devour!
These tasty cinnamon sugar waffles are perfect for weekend brunches with family and friends. Everyone loves the cinnamon sugar combination and it’s amazing when dipped in chocolate!
How to make churro waffles
Start with making the batter: mix buttermilk (I always use homemade), vegetable oil, eggs and sugar in a bowl, then add in the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix until the batter comes together but do not over mix it.
Heat up the waffle iron and pour 1/4 cup of batter into the waffle iron. Cook for three to four minutes. Once the waffles are cooked, brush them with some melted butter and generously sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
Notes and tips for making churro waffles
- You can make the batter the night before, cover it with plastic wrap and the next morning, bring it to room temperature and then make the waffles.
- To freeze churro waffles, make the waffles and put them in a single layer in a ziploc bag and freeze. Once ready to serve, place them in a single layer and heat in the oven at 200F, then brush them with melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.
- You can top these flavored waffles with caramel sauce, dolce de leche, whipped cream, maple syrup or even more chocolate!
- To make your own buttermilk, mix two cups of milk with two tablespoons white vinegar, stir and set aside for ten minutes. Then use it as mentioned in the recipe.
- You can use two cups of Greek yogurt instead of buttermilk.
- 2 cup Buttermilk See Notes
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup Butter melted
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 4 oz Chocolate I used dark chopped (or 4 oz chocolate chips)
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup Heavy Cream
- Preheat the waffle iron.
- Mix buttermilk, vegetable oil and eggs in a large bowl. Add sugar, flour, baking soda and baking powder to the mixture. Mix until combined but don't over mix.
- Pour 1/4 - 1/3 cup of the batter in the waffle iron and cook for 3-4 minutes, until it starts steaming and the steam is half gone.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
- Once the waffles are cooked, brush them with melted butter on both sides and sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar.
- Heat heavy cream in a small sauce pan until just starts to simmer. Turn the heat off, add chopped chocolate and stir until melted and combined.
- Serve churro waffles with chocolate sauce.
Have you made this recipe? Let us know by commenting and rating on this recipe. Take a picture and tag @unicornsinthekitchen and #unicornsinthekitchen for a chance to be featured!