Healthy Pumpkin Banana Bread is made with Greek yogurt and is so soft. With chocolate chunks and pecans, this healthy pumpkin bread is completely irresistible!
When pumpkin season comes, we get so excited and can't wait to start baking. From our beloved Pumpkin Bread Pudding to Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal and Pumpkin Pie Smoothie, we have all your pumpkin needs covered! This homemade pumpkin banana bread is a favorite of ours that's on the healthier side and is perfect with a cup of tea!
I simply cannot have enough of homemade baked goods.
Homemade pumpkin banana bread
Homemade cakes, breads and desserts make me so happy. I don't know why, but I always feel that homemade baked goods have a lot of love and positive feelings baked into them. This healthy pumpkin banana bread is one of those baked goods that you can bring to brunches or afternoon gathering with your friends and family. Everyone would love to have a slice of this deliciousness!
This is such a delicious bread for fall. The combination of pumpkin and banana makes this bread very moist without adding a drop of oil. If you're looking for a baked good that uses no butter or oil, this is going to be a staple in your kitchen as well. It's a simple bread packed with so much flavor and crunch thanks to chopped pecans.
Why is this pumpkin banana bread recipe better?
There is no oil or butter used in this banana pumpkin chocolate chip bread. Like these baked pumpkin donuts, this easy pumpkin banana bread is the healthier version of a favorite without sacrificing the flavor. The combination of pumpkin and banana makes this cake moist and fluffy and pecans give it some extra crunch. I love nuts in cakes and bread, it's like bonus!
If you love Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe, this homemade banana bread with pumpkin is absolutely one that you'll want to make over and over again. It's super tasty! While you might love a classic sour cream banana bread, this Banana bread with pumpkin is also a great options when you crave chocolate.
Ingredients to make banana bread with pumpkin
To make this delicious and moist bread, you need the following ingredients:
- Mashed bananas
- Pumpkin puree
- Greek yogurt
- Flour, baking powder and cinnamon
- Chocolate chunks (optional)
As you can see, there is no butter or oil used in this recipe which makes it healthier than other pumpkin bread recipes. The combination of bananas and pumpkin helps with the moisture, therefore there's no need oil. It's important to make sure that all your ingredients are at room temperature so that the batter has the best texture.
Read a fun story on Bon Appetite about the best canned pumpkin.
How to make healthy pumpkin banana bread
Preheat the oven, coat a loaf pan with non-stick spray and line it with parchment paper. Mix the eggs, sugar and vanilla until light in color and then add in mashed bananas and pumpkin puree. Add in yogurt and mix well. Stir in flour, baking powder and cinnamon into the batter. Don't over mix the batter.
Fold in chopped pecans and transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan. Bake in the oven until fully cooked. Insert a toothpick in the middle of the bread and when it comes out with few to no crumbs, it's ready. Let the pumpkin bread cool completely before slicing it.
How to serve pumpkin loaf
I also love serving this pumpkin banana bread with almond butter for breakfast. Also, adding some chocolate chunks or chocolate chips would make this bread even more delicious. I mean, chocolate always makes things better, right?
This is an easy homemade bread that's simple yet very tasty. And since there's no butter or oil in this bread, it's perfect for days when you're thinking of eating healthy-ish desserts. We have rave reviews from readers who made this a few times a month during pumpkin season.
Can I freeze this bread?
Yes. Once the pumpkin bread is completely cool, slice it and wrap each slice in a spastic wrap and freeze. To serve, place the slices on a baking sheet lines with parchment paper and heat in the oven at 225°F for about 10-15 minutes until heated through.
Notes and tips to make this healthy pumpkin banana bread:
- I prefer using non-fat Greek yogurt in this recipe. However, you can use any kind of plain yogurt to make this pumpkin bread.
- Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature. Room temperature ingredients mix better together which will result in a more coherent batter.
- ِUse fully ripe bananas to ensure a moist and delicious bread. If you don't have ripe bananas, bake your bananas in the oven (300F) for 15-30 minutes until they're black.
- Serve this bread with some almond butter for breakfast or an afternoon snack. I love toasting the pumpkin bread for a minute or two before spreading almond butter on it.
- Store this banana bread in an airtight container for up to 3 days. You can keep this pumpkin banana bread in the fridge for up to 5 days.
More Recipes to bake:
- Easy Pumpkin Nut Bread
- Moist Zucchini Banana Bread
- Oatmeal Banana Bread
- Almond Flour Banana Bread
- Banana Bread with Applesauce
The Best Healthy Pumpkin Banana Bread
- 2 Eggs Room tempreture
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ⅔ cup Mashed Banana
- ½ cup Pumpkin Puree
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ cup Pecans chopped
- ½ cup Pecans halves
- ½ cup chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or coat with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, sugar and vanilla until light in color.
- Add in mashed bananas and pumpkin puree. Mix again until fully combined.
- Add in yogurt and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold using a wooden spoon. Don't over mix.
- Fold in chopped pecans.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and top with pecans and chocolate chips.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes to one hour until a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean.
- Let cool for 20 minutes before slicing.