These are the best pumpkin donuts you’ll ever taste! Baked Pumpkin Donuts are so simple and can be made in less than an hour using basic ingredients that are already in your pantry.
Baked Pumpkin Donuts
There’s so much you can make with pumpkin in this season and one of them is this pumpkin donut recipe which is perfect for an afternoon with a cup of tea or coffee. Donuts baked in a donut pan are super easy to make and my family loves them!
Fall is all about pumpkins, apples and baking. Have you gone pumpkin picking yet?Speaking of pumpkins, how do you like baked pumpkin goods? I’m a big fan and I go beyond pumpkin pie. After all, pumpkin season is short so I try to make as many pumpkin treats as possible, hopefully we’ll get to make my favorite pumpkin bread pudding and pumpkin pancakes again!
Baked or fried pumpkin donuts?
Like my pumpkin banana bread, these baked pumpkin donuts are quite healthy recipe. They have a cake-y texture that fried pumpkin donuts don’t have. They’re airy and fluffy and stay that way for at least 4-5 days, though they disappear faster than that.
Why do I love these pumpkin spice donuts?
- There is only 1/4 cup of oil in the whole recipe.
- They’re baked which means there’s no mess with frying.
- They’re super fluffy thanks to buttermilk. I always make buttermilk at home by mixing 1 cup milk with 2 tablespoons white vinegar and set it aside for 10 minutes. This amount equals one cup of buttermilk.
How to make pumpkin donuts from scratch
Mix vegetable oil and sugar well then add the buttermilk and continue by adding the eggs one by one. Add in pumpkin puree and mix well.
Then add all the dry ingredients and mix using a whisk or a wooden spoon. Once the batter is ready, fill donut molds and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. This is an easy donut recipe that you will want to make over and over!
The batter of these healthy baked doughnuts is quite forgiving. You can use either canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree. Don’t forget to use pumpkin pie spice but if you don’t have it, a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and all spice would work, too. Or, you can make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice. Check out this pumpkin pie spice mix by Epicurious.
Notes and tips for this baked pumpkin donuts recipe:
- Use a doughnut pan and pour the batter in a piping/pastry bag, and then fill the doughnut pan. You can also scoop the batter with a spoon and fill the pan if a pastry bag isn’t available.
- Before filling the pan, make sure you have coated it with non stick spray every time.
- You can dust these baked donuts with powdered sugar or top them with this delicious maple glaze.
- Keep these donuts in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days.
- Let the donuts cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
- If you have extra pumpkin puree left, make this pumpkin smoothie for breakfast, it’s quick, easy and perfect for a fall morning.
Healthy Baked Pumpkin Donuts
Baked Pumpkin Donuts are so simple and can be made in less than an hour using basic ingredients that are already in your pantry.
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Buttermilk mix 1/3 cup milk + 1 tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice and let it sit for 10 minutes
- 3/4 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat a donut pan with non stick spray.
Mix oil and sugar in a large bowl. Add in buttermilk and mix well.
Add in the eggs one by one, mix well after adding each egg. Then add the pumpkin puree. Mix well.
Add in all dry ingredients and mix using a wooden spoon or a spatula until combined. Don't over mix.
- Fill the donut molds to two thirds and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the donut comes out clean. let cool for 5 minutes then take the donuts out.