Pumpkin pull apart bread is the ultimate fall dessert! Delicious and soft pull apart bread made with pumpkin puree is the perfect dessert or breakfast.
We are still going through our pumpkin recipes and to this day our favorites are pumpkin pancakes, crustless pumpkin pie and baked pumpkin donuts. This pumpkin pull apart bread is one of our oldest recipes that is loved to this day!
An easy and delicious pumpkin pull apart bread!
Layers of a bouncy perfectly kneaded dough holding the perfect combination of cinnamon and brown sugar in between, cut into squares and stand next to each other in a loaf pan, baked to perfection. Pumpkin pull apart bread fills the house with the fabulous smell of fall and happiness!
What I love the most about this pumpkin pull apart bread is that the dough is made with pumpkin puree and every bite is packed with pumpkin and cinnamon flavor. This dough is very forgiving and easy to work with and always results in perfect pumpkin bread!
How to make pumpkin pull apart loaf from scratch
Start with mixing flour, yeast, salt, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl. In another bowl, place milk and butter and microwave for about one minute until the butter is just melted. Whisk in the egg and pumpkin puree and add the mixture to dry ingredients.
Mix well and knead well until the dough forms. It will be a little sticky to touch but that's how it should be. Cover and let it rise for 90 minutes. Once the dough has risen, release the air by punching it down and transfer it to a floured surface. Roll our the dough into a big rectangle and brush with some melted butter. Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on the dough.
Now cut the dough lengthwise into 5 long strips. Stack the strips on top on each other and then cut the stack into 5 equal pieces. Now you have five stacks of five. Place them back to back in a loaf pan and then bake in the oven for about 40 minutes. Let the pumpkin spice pull apart bread cool in the pan and then serve.
How to make pull apart pumpkin bread with refrigerated biscuits
Another common pumpkin pull apart bread recipe is to use refrigerated biscuits instead of homemade dough. Here is how to make pull apart bread with refrigerated biscuits:
- Mix 1 cup pumpkin puree with ½ cup granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
- Flatten out the biscuits and top one with the pumpkin mixture.
- Place another piece of biscuit on top and spread some pumpkin mixture. Continue layering until you're out of biscuits and mixture.
- Place the stacks in the loaf pan and top with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden.
Notes and tips to make pumpkin pull apart bread
- You can use canned pumpkin puree or strained homemade pumpkin puree.
- Like pumpkin banana bread, this pumpkin pull apart bread stays fresh for about three days.
- Make sure you use instant yeast and not active dry yeast to make this pull apart bread.
- Instead of slicing the rectangle dough, you can roll it like cinnamon roll and cut it into rolls and place them in a loaf pan.
- If the pumpkin pull apart bread starts getting too brown cover with aluminum foil and then bake for some more minutes.
Pumpkin Pull-apart Bread
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup milk
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon margarine melted
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- Coat a standard loaf pan with nonstick spray or grease it with butter and then coat with flour.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, whisk flour, yeast, salt, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- Microwave milk, and margarine until it’s almost melted.
- Mix with egg and pumpkin puree.
- Add the milk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients, and start mixing on medium using the dough hook. Keep mixing until the dough comes together. The dough might be a bit sticky.
- Add one or two more tablespoons of flour and keep mixing the dough for about seven minutes.
- Transfer the dough into an oiled bowl and brush the dough with little oil.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and a towel.
- Let the dough rise for 1 ½ hour.
- Transfer the dough on to the floured surface and roll it out into a big rectangle (11X20) the side closest to you should be the long side.
- Brush the melted butter over the dough up to the edges.
- Cover with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut the dough into 5 long strips (length would be 20 inch)
- Stack all five on top of each other very carefully.
- Cut the stack into five equal pieces.
- Now you have 5 stacks of 5.
- Place them in the loaf pan.
- Cover it with a towel and let it rise for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Put the loaf pan on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Cover the bread loosely with aluminum foil (so the top won’t burn) and bake it for another 20 minutes.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes and then transfer it to a serving plate.