Crustless pumpkin pie is perfect for fall and Thanksgiving. You can make this creamy, silky and tasty pumpkin pie in just one hour.
We have a good collection of pumpkin recipes here that range from healthy treats such as healthy pumpkin banana bread and baked pumpkin donuts to more indulgent desserts like my favorite pumpkin pie brownies. This crustless pumpkin pie with no butter is a good option to make in the calorie-heavy holiday season for some balance!
Crustless pumpkin pie from scratch
Or shall I call it "healthy pumpkin pie"? After all this fall staple is made with no crust and no butter. I mean, that's so not me, but trust me if a crust and butter loving person loves it, you will love it too!
For this easy pumpkin pie recipe I used the pumpkin puree that I made myself by roasting the pumpkins I got from the farmers market, but canned pumpkin will work just as well. If you're using homemade pumpkin puree, make sure it doesn't contain any extra water.
Ingredients to make easy crustless pumpkin pie
To make this delicious pumpkin pie you need the following ingredients:
- Pumpkin puree
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Graham crackers crumbs
When looking for pumpkin puree, make sure you're not getting pumpkin pie filling. The canned pumpkin pie filling contains sugar and could have a different texture as well.
As this is a pumpkin pie without crust, you need to have a filling that's dense and holds it together without the help of a crust. To make the filling a bit denser, I opted for cornstarch which holds this healthy pumpkin pie together.
Some recipes may call for sweetened condensed milk but I find using whole milk or evaporated milk work very well. I have not tried this recipe with condensed milk so I cannot tell you how it may turn out.
How do you make pumpkin pie without crust?
Preheat the oven to 350°F and coat a pie dish with non stick spray. In a large bowl, mix the eggs with sugar until light in color. Stir in the milk and add in pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and cornstarch to the mixture and mix well. Finish with the graham crackers crumbs. Transfer the batter to the pie dish and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes until the top is set. Let the pie cool completely before slicing it.
This is such a basic recipe and is absolutely fool proof and no fail. All you need to do is mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and fold in graham crackers crumbs. Sometimes, I just mix all the ingredients together in a stand mixer but you can go step by step and mix the ingredients as mentioned in the ingredients list in the recipe card. This pumpkin pie smells amazing thanks to cinnamon and has that classic firm, creamy texture with the glossy top.
Can I make pumpkin pie gluten free?
You sure can. You can use gluten free graham crackers in this pumpkin pie recipe and it will have the same texture.
Can I freeze this no crust pumpkin pie?
That's the beauty of this pumpkin pie recipe. You can easily freeze it and thaw it in the fridge and enjoy it at a later date. Easy yet totally delicious. There won't be the "soggy crust" problem. To freeze, let the pumpkin pie cool completely and then cover it tightly with plastic wrap. Freeze for up to 2 months.
What to serve crustless pumpkin pie with?
You can serve this delicious pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Notes and tips to make crustless pumpkin pie recipe
- I made this easy crustless pumpkin pie without evaporated milk and used whole milk instead. You can simply use the same amount of evaporated milk if that's what you have at hand.
- Don't skip the cornstarch as that's what holds this pumpkin pie together.
- When the pumpkin pie is completely baked, let it cool at room temperature and then refrigerate for at least three hours. This will give you nicer and cleaner slices.
- Use the leftover pumpkin puree to make Pumpkin gingerbread trifle or Pumpkin smoothie.
- Put the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to three days.
- Store-bought or homemade pumpkin puree? I suggest store-bought since it contains less liquid compared to homemade pumpkin puree.
There is nothing better than a homemade warm pie in a cold fall evening! All that silkiness and creaminess coming with the taste and smell of cinnamon and nutmeg, that's what I, and probably you, need!
Looking for more pumpkin recipes?
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie with Chai Spice
- Easy pumpkin oatmeal
- Pumpkin pull-apart bread
- Easy pumpkin pancakes
- Pumpkin nut bread
- Pumpkin cheesecake bars
- The best ever pumpkin bread pudding
Easy Crustless Pumpkin Pie
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups pumpkin puree Not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup garaham cracker crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Coat a pie dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix eggs and sugar in a bowl until light in color.
- Add in milk and mix well.
- Add in pumpkin puree, corn starch and pumpkin pie spice and stir well.
- Add crumbed graham crackers in the end and mix with a spatula until incorporated. (Don't over mix)
- Pour the mixture into the pie dish and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the pie comes out clean.
- Let the pumpkin pie cool completely and let it cool completely before slicing.
- For gluten free crustless pumpkin pie, use gluten free graham crackers.
- You can use dairy free milk such as almond milk or cashew milk.