Learn how to make the best ever homemade pumpkin pie flavored with aromatic chai spices. This easy pumpkin pie is perfect for the Holidays.
This is the season in which we are all looking forward to pumpkin recipes! From crustless pumpkin pie to baked pumpkin donuts and pumpkin banana bread, we love our baked pumpkin goods and can't wait to share this delicious homemade pumpkin pie recipe from scratch with you!
The best ever homemade pumpkin pie
I love custard pies, and I'm always up for a good pumpkin pie. In my book, this fall delicacy can use a little bit more than the usual pumpkin pie spice blend so I switched things up and made a chai pumpkin pie! The spices used in this easy pumpkin pie recipe bring out amazing flavors and make this the perfect dessert for your holiday feast. This homemade pumpkin pie will be everyone's favorite thanks to its delicious spices and flavor!
It's super fun to try new spices with classic dishes to give them a twist and bring something new to the table. In this case, chai pumpkin pie has found a raving fan over here!
What spices do you put in pumpkin pie?
To make this homemade pumpkin pie with chai spice, I used cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. These warm spices work very well with pumpkin and complement the texture and flavor of the pie very well.
Pumpkin pie ingredients
To make a delicious chai pumpkin pie, you need a pie crust, brown sugar, eggs, spices, evaporated milk and pumpkin puree. You can use homemade pumpkin puree but I prefer canned pumpkin puree since the texture is denser and it doesn't contain as much liquid as homemade pumpkin puree does.
How to make easy pumpkin pie from scratch
Start by making the pie dough. I used half of the recipe for our unicorn blueberry pie crust. To make the pie crust, mix flour, sugar and salt in a food processor bowl and then add in cubed and chilled butter. Pulse a few times until the butter is mixed with the flour and resembles breadcrumbs. Add in iced water and pulse until it resembles small peas and it sticks together. I transferred the dough onto an Silicone Pastry Mat and brought it together until it formed a disk. I love how this pastry mat provides essential information for baking.
Wrap the crust ball in a plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour. Preheat the oven to 400F and place the pie crust out of the fridge for 30 minutes. Roll out the dough to form a 12-inch circle. I used a Dough Rolling Bag which rolls perfectly round crusts for pies. I love it because it keeps the counter top clean and releases the dough easily.
Place the pie dough in a Glass Pie Plate. You can even freeze the pie dough at this stage and bake it later since this pie plate can go directly from freezer to oven without needing to thaw it. Cover the pie crust with a parchment paper and top it with pie weights, beans or chickpeas and bake it in the oven for about 20 minutes.
Pumpkin pie filling
Once the pie crust is cooked and cooled, start making the filling by mixing brown sugar and flour in a bowl. Add in eggs, pumpkin puree and evaporated milk using a spatula. Fill the pie crust with the pumpkin pie filling and bake in the oven at 400F for about 35 minutes. The pie will be a little jiggly in the center. Let the pie cool completely before slicing.
Whipped cream to top the homemade pumpkin pie
You can't have pumpkin pie without whipped cream, right? I made some delicious homemade whipped cream and topped this easy pumpkin pie with it and sprinkled with some cinnamon and allspice for extra flavor.
Should I pre bake pie crust for pumpkin pie
This step is optional. I always bake the pie crust beforehand because it will result in a pumpkin pie that has a flaky crust. If you don't pre-bake the crust, it might result in a soggy crust so my advice is to always pre-bake the crust.
Can I use store-bought pie crust?
Yes. You can use refrigerated pie crusts at the store and bake them at home. However, make sure not to get pre-made graham crackers crust for this recipe, that crust would work for cheesecakes and other cold desserts, but it won't work for a pumpkin pie.
Does pumpkin pie need to be refrigerated
Since homemade pumpkin contains eggs and milk and does not contain any preservatives, it needs to be refrigerated. Pumpkin pie lasts for about 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Can homemade pumpkin pie be frozen?
Yes, you can easily freeze pumpkin pie. Follow the easy pumpkin pie recipe below and once it's cooked and fully cooled, cover tightly with plastic wrap and freeze for up to two months. To serve, thaw in the fridge overnight and serve at room temperature.
Notes and tips to make no fail pumpkin pie
- You can use homemade or refrigerated pie dough for this recipe.
- Make sure not to over bake the pie. The center of the pie should be a little jiggly. It will set when the pie is cooled.
- To pre-bake the pie crust, make sure you place a parchment paper on it and fill it with pie weights or beans. This will help the pumpkin pie to bake evenly and not to have bumps in the middle.
- It's best to use store-bought pumpkin puree for this pumpkin pie recipe since it has less water and denser texture. However, if using homemade pumpkin puree, please place it in a cheese cloth and strain the excess water before using it.
- Once the pumpkin pie is fully cooled, refrigerate it for at least two hours before slicing.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of OXO.
Homemade Pumpkin Pie with Chai Spice
- 1 pie crust See note #1
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp all spice
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 15 oz canned pumpkin
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup whipping cream cold
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Roll out the pie dough into a 12 inch disk. Transfer the pie dough to the glass pie pan.
- top the pie crust with parchment paper and fill it with beans.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the edges are golden.
- Take the cooked crust out of the oven and let it cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, all spice, nutmeg and cloves.
- Add in eggs, pumpkin puree and evaporated milk. Mix using a spatula. Do not over mix the batter.
- Fill the cooked pie crust with the pie filling.
- Bake in th eoven for about 35 minutes until it's cooked and the middle is still a little jiggly.
- Let the pumpkin pie cool completely at room temperature and then refrigerate for two hours.
- To make whipped cream, place cold whipping cream and powdered sugar in a bowl of a stand mixer and whip on high for a few minutes until it reaches stiff peak.
- Spread the whipped cream on the pumpkin pie and sprinkle some all spice and cinnamon on top.
- You can use any pie crust recipe you like or my unicorn blueberry pie recipe for the crust.
- If your pie crust is golden brown, cover the edges using an aluminum foil.