Learn how to make sour cream banana bread that’s moist and absolutely delicious. This easy banana bread is perfect for breakfast or a midday snack.
You know we love our banana bread recipes. Our chocolate chip banana bread is always a crowd pleaser and the banana bread muffins are a go-to breakfast treat. But this banana bread with sour cream is one of the best banana bread recipes out there. It’s moist and really tasty.
This easy moist banana bread look humble but don’t be fooled, it’s bursting with flavors!
What makes banana bread moist?
There are a few factors that result in a super moist banana bread: First, the bananas. You need the bananas to be as ripe as possible. The more dots they have and the softer they are, the better. But make sure they’re not all black inside, because the flavor won’t be as good then. You want soft and light bananas with dotted skin.
And second, sour cream! Sour cream makes the banana bread so moist and delicious and still fluffy. It does the same thing to banana bread as buttermilk: make the bread super moist and flavorful. Sour cream banana bread is perfect as a snack for kids to take to school.
If you’re wondering how you can use up your sour cream, you should try this sour cream banana bread recipe and I bet you’re going to love it. This moist banana bread recipe with sour cream is so simple and easy to make. It’s perfect for a midday or after school snack, though I also love toasting it and spread some almond butter on it.
Sour cream banana bread ingredients
To make this simple banana bread, you need simple ingredients:
- Butter: I always use unsalted butter for banana bread recipes.
- Eggs: Make sure they’re large and not medium or extra large.
- Bananas: Those little black dots on the skin of the bananas are proof that your banana bread is going to be absolutely tasty!
- Sour cream: Whole or lite sour cream would work for this recipe.
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
Make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature. Room temperature ingredients mix easier and result in a moist banana bread with a great texture. It’s best that the bananas are very ripe and have black dots on the skin, this shows that they’re ready to be turned into a delicious and moist banana bread!
How to make banana bread with sour cream
Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 9×5 loaf pan with a parchment paper. Mix the melted butter and sugar in a large bowl. Then add the eggs one by one and mix well. Next, add mashed bananas and cinnamon and then add the sour cream. Once these ingredients are combined, add in the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and baking soda) and then mix again. Make sure not to mix the ingredients too much, a few lumps is okay.
Bake the sour cream banana bread in the oven for about 55 minutes. To make sure that the banana bread has baked completely, insert a toothpick in the middle of it. The toothpick should come out with little to no crumbs. Once the banana bread is out of the oven, let it cool completely before slicing.
Nothing beats the smell of freshly baked banana bread and the comfort it brings! It’s so good with a cup of tea or coffee in a calm, event-less afternoon. A slice of a tasty banana bread can make any day so much better.
Homemade banana bread flavors
Add some chocolate chips to this moist banana bread for more flavor, or add walnuts to have a tasty banana nut bread. You can also add 1/2 cup shredded coconut to give it a tropical flavor.
How to store this banana bread
You can store this banana bread in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Or you can keep it in a cool place out of the fridge for up to 2 days. I usually keep it in the fridge because it contains eggs and dairy and simply heat it in the oven or microwave.
This banana bread with sour cream also freezes really well. It’s possible to freeze it whole or sliced. Once the banana bread is completely cool, slice it and wrap each slice in plastic wrap and freeze for up to three months. To serve, defrost the slices in the oven at 200°F for about 15 minutes until they’re warm.
More Banana Bread Recipes:
- Moist Zucchini Banana Bread
- Coconut Banana Bread
- Banana Bread in A Mug
- Banana bread with applesauce
- Almond flour banana bread
- Oatmeal banana bread
- Peanut butter banana bread
- Double chocolate banana bread
Notes and tips for sour cream banana bread recipe
- Make sure the bananas are completely ripe for this easy banana bread recipe. Check out Just a Taste’s tutorial to learn how to quickly ripen bananas.
- To make sure the banana bread is completely baked, insert a toothpick in the middle of the bread, if it comes out with little to no crumbs, then it’s fully baked, but if it’s doughy in the middle, let it bake for another ten to fifteen minutes.
- Have all the ingredients at room temperature. This helps ingredients mix better.
- Make sure the banana bread is completely cool before slicing, otherwise it will fall apart.
- You can toast banana bread slices and spread some almond butter on them for breakfast.
Sour Cream Banana Cream Recipe
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 bananan ripe and mashed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Coat a 9X5 loaf with a non stick pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the melted butter and sugar together until fully combined.
- Add the eggs one by one and mix well after each addition.
- Add in mashed bananas and whisk well.
- Add in cinnamon and sour cream. Mix with a whisk or an electric hand mixer.
- Add in baking powder, baking soda and all purpose flour. Mix until the dry ingredients are combined with the wet ingredients but don't over mix.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick into the middle of the banana bread, if it comes out with little to no crumbs, then it's ready but if it comes out with batter then it needs to bake for 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Let the bread cool completely and then slice and serve.