Banana bread for one! Make banana bread in a mug quickly with a few ingredients you probably already have on hand. Warm and delicious, this recipe results in a satisfying treat!
If you’re a regular reader of this blog, you know we have a good collection of banana bread recipes on. Some of our popular banana breads are chocolate chip banana bread, oatmeal banana bread and peanut butter banana bread. This banana bread in a mug is for times that you have only one banana left in your pantry or you’re looking for a small batch banana bread recipe.
What is a mug cake?
Mug cakes are basically baked goods made in a mug using a microwave. They became trendy a few years ago and continue to be popular. They're a quick way to satisfy your sweet tooth as it usually takes about three minutes to bake a mug cake. There are plenty of mug cake (and other mug-baked goods) variations out there; for example, you can find recipes for brownie in a mug and double chocolate mug cake on the blog.
Mug cakes are very simple to make and they're almost always made in a microwave using a microwave safe mug. If you have a young baker at home, chances are they're going to love helping you with this recipe!
What makes this banana bread in a mug a winner?
We like this recipe for three reasons:
- It’s quick: baking this cake literally takes 5 minutes!
- Only one banana: I bet we all have that one ripe banana sitting on the counter at some point. This is a great way to use it up.
- It’s a small portion: For those of us who can’t stop eating cake and baked goods, this banana bread for one is a perfectly sized portion.
Like other banana breads, you need banana, sugar, flour, oil and an egg to make this mug cake. For extra moisture, I added yogurt to the batter. For a little extra flavor and crunch, I also added cinnamon and walnuts.
Using ripe bananas when it comes to making banana bread is very important. Your bananas should have brown dots on the skin for the best results. If you're in a hurry, or your bananas are too green, there are ways to ripen bananas faster.
You won’t believe how easy and quick this banana bread is:
- Mash the banana in a small bowl.
- Mix it with the egg, oil, flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking powder.
- Bake the banana bread in the microwave for about 2 minutes until done and serve warm.
You can always add other ingredients like coconut flakes, walnuts, pecans or chocolate chips to this versatile recipe. The possibilities are endless.
Can I make this recipe without egg?
Yes. To make eggless banana bread in a mug, simply leave out the egg and add 1 tablespoon milk. The result will be just as good!
How long should I cook a mug cake?
This completely depends on your microwave and its function and power. This recipe usually takes somewhere between one and a half to three minutes. Always bake mug cakes in the microwave on high power and check after a minute and a half. You know your banana bread is ready when a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean.
Can I use the oven for this recipe?
You can, but I don’t advise it. If you’re turning on the oven, just go ahead and make a full and big banana bread that you can enjoy for days. Mug cakes are perfect if you're craving something quick and sweet.
Looking for more banana bread recipes?
- Almond flour banana bread
- Sour cream banana bread
- Zucchini banana bread
- Banana bread muffins
- Coconut banana bread
- Pumpkin banana bread
- Double chocolate banana bread
Banana Bread in A Mug
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon walnuts chopped
- Mash the banana in a microwave safe mug and add the egg, Greek yogurt and vegetable oil to the banana. Mix well.
- Add in flour, brown and granulated sugar, baking powder and cinnamon to the egg and banana mixture. Stir until combined.
- gently fold in chopped walnuts.
- Microwave on high for one minute and thirty seconds. Check to see if cooked by inserting a toothpick into the mug cake. If it comes out clean, it's completely cooked.
- If the toothpick doesn't come out clean, microwave on high for another minute and half.
- Serve warm.
- You can use melted butter or baking olive oil instead of vegetable oil.
- For more flavor, add chocolate chips, pecans or coconut flakes.