Banana bread for one! Make banana bread in a mug in just a few minutes using a few ingredients. Warm and delicious, this easy banana bread in a mug is a satisfying treat.
If you’re a regular reader of Unicorns in the Kitchen, you know we have a good collection of banana bread recipes on the blog. Some of our popular banana breads are chocolate chip banana bread, oatmeal banana bread and peanut butter banana bread. This banana bread in a mug is for times that you have only one banana left or you’re looking for a small batch banana bread recipe.
What is a mug cake?
Mug cakes are basically baked goods made in a mug using a microwave. They became trendy a few years ago and continue to be popular. They’re a quick way to satisfy your sweet tooth as it usually takes about three minutes to bake a mug cake. There are so many mug cake (and other mug-baked goods) variations out there; for example, you can find recipes for brownie in a mug and double chocolate mug cake on the blog.
Mug cakes are very simple to make and they’re almost always made in a microwave using a microwave safe mug. If you have a young baker at home, chances are they’re going to love helping you with this recipe!
What makes this banana bread mug cake a winner?
This mini banana bread recipe is a favorite over here for three reasons:
- It’s quick: it literally takes 5 minutes to make this quick banana bread.
- Only one banana: I bet we all have that one ripe banana sitting on the counter at some point. This is a great way to use it up.
- It’s small portion: For those of us who can’t stop eating cake and baked goods, this banana bread for one is a perfectly sized portion.
What do I need to make banana bread mug cake?
Like other banana breads, you need banana, sugar, flour, oil and an egg to make this mug cake. For extra moisture, I added yogurt to the batter as well and gave it extra flavor by adding cinnamon and walnuts for extra crunch.
How to make banana bread in a mug
You won’t believe how easy and quick this banana bread is! Simply mash the banana and mix it with the egg, oil, flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking powder. Bake the banana bread in the microwave until done and serve warm.
You can always add other ingredients like coconut flakes, walnuts or chocolate chips to this banana bread mug cake. The possibilities are endless.
How long should I cook a mug cake?
This completely depends on your microwave and its function and power. This recipe usually takes somewhere between 1:30 and three minutes. Always bake mug cake in the microwave on high power and check after a minute and a half. Your quick banana bread is ready when a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean.
Can I make banana bread mug cake in the oven?
You can but I don’t advise it. If you’re turning on the oven, just go ahead and make a full and big banana bread that you can enjoy for days. Mug cakes are perfect if you’re craving something quick and sweet.
Looking for more banana bread recipes?
- Almond flour banana bread
- Sour cream banana bread
- Zucchini banana bread
- Banana bread muffins
- Coconut banana bread
- Pumpkin banana bread
- Double chocolate banana bread
Banana Bread in A Mug
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp walnuts chopped
- Mash the banana in a microwave safe mug and add the egg, Greek yogurt and vegetable oil to the banana. Mix well.
- Add in flour, brown and granulated sugar, baking powder and cinnamon to the egg and banana mixture. Stir until combined.
- gently fold in chopped walnuts.
- Microwave on high for one minute and thirty seconds. Check to see if cooked by inserting a toothpick into the mug cake. If it comes out clean, it's completely cooked.
- If the toothpick doesn't come out clean, microwave on high for another minute and half.
- Serve warm.
- You can use melted butter or baking olive oil instead of vegetable oil.
- For more flavor, add chocolate chips or coconut flakes.