It take less than two minutes to make this luscious double chocolate mug cake. Take it to perfection with a scoop of ice cream!
Even though I'm more of a family person, I know that cooking for one has its own joy. Imagine that midnight chocolate brownie in a mug or the afternoon banana bread in a mug. You can treat yourself in less than 5 minutes thanks to these recipes!
Why this chocolate mug cake is a favorite?
This is a piece of advice from a girl who craves chocolate at crazy times of the day: always always have some good quality chocolate and cocoa powder in your pantry because sooner or later, you will be needing them!
This delicious velvety double chocolate mug cake is great for days when you want some chocolate cake but don't want to do all the work, and perhaps like me, don't have any interest in store-made stuff. All you have to do is grab a mug, break an egg into it, add some sugar, milk and some other stuff. Mix it and then put it in the microwave for only one minute and thirty seconds. That's even less time than TV ads! Then you can grab your mug cake, top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and voila! Happiness in a mug!
Quite easy right?
Chocolate mug cake ingredients
To make this single serving easy chocolate chip mug cake, you need just a few ingredients:
- Oil (preferably vegetable oil or baking olive oil) or melted butter
- Cocoa powder (make sure you always use high quality cocoa powder)
- Baking powder
- Chocolate chips
Another thing that I like about this cute mug cake? Melted chocolate chips and butterscotch morsels! In every single bite! Hot ooey gooey cake topped with cold ice cream!! Seriously, what's not to like about this double chocolate mug cake? It's easy, simple and perfect to cure all the sudden chocolate cravings that we have all experienced at some point in our lives.
How to make chocolate cake in a mug
I can't stress enough how simple it is to make a gooey chocolate mug cake in less than 5 minutes. All you need to do is to mix the egg and sugar with milk and oil. Then add in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Once all is mixed, fold in chocolate chips and/or butterscotch chips. Bake in the microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds and serve warm with a scoop of ice cream.
How to serve chocolate mug cake
You can simply serve it in the mug as it is. I love topping it with ice cream, or some quick chocolate fudge sauce. I suggest you serve this easy mug cake warm for maximum gooeyness!
Can I double this chocolate mug cake recipe?
Absolutely! This recipe is to make one chocolate mug cake but you can double the recipe and prepare the chocolate mug cake batter in a separate bowl then divide it between two mugs. Bake the mug cake in the microwave one mug at a time and serve warm.
Can I make mug cake in the oven?
Unfortunately, no. Mug cake recipes on Unicorns in the Kitchen are solely developed for microwave therefore I advise you not to make this chocolate mug cake in the oven.
Chocolate mug cake variations
You can easily add more flavors to this gooey chocolate mug cake. Here are two of my favorites:
- Nutella: Mix in one tablespoon nutella into the batter.
- Peanut butter: Add one tablespoon peanut butter to the mug cake batter.
Looking for more chocolate recipes?
Double Chocolate Mug cake
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tbs milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butterscotch morsels
- In a microwave safe mug or in a bowl, mix the egg with sugar until combined.
- Add in milk and vegetable oil. Mix well for a few seconds.
- Mix in all purpose flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into the batter.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and butterscotch morsels.
- Cook in microwave for one minute and thirty seconds.
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if desired.