This chocolate brownie in a mug is perfect for one person. It takes about five minutes from start to finish; it's fudgy, chocolaty and perfect with a scoop of ice cream!
Without a doubt, brownie recipes are one of my top favorites but, there are times that it's only me, and as much as I love to make a peanut butter brownies or some s'mores brownies, it's not safe to leave me and a pan of brownies alone, especially if they're quick and easy brownies. That's why we are making this mug brownie recipe today!
The easiest single serve brownie recipe
This fudgy brownie is made in a mug and literally take less than ten minutes from start to finish. It's made with ingredients that you have in your pantry and can easily be modified. I've got to tell you, this is the perfect late night snack, I may or may not have made this a few times in the past few weeks.
The thing with brownies, especially mug brownies made in a microwave is that they sometimes either turn out too cake-y, or rubbery. After several trials and errors, finally I've mastered a super quick, super easy brownie recipe for one, because everyone deserves their very own brownie!
Why this is the best mug brownie
We love this single serving brownie recipe for a few reasons:
- It's simple and easy to make.
- It takes literally 5 minutes from start to finish.
- This brownie recipe doesn't call for an egg.
- Nothing beats brownie made from scratch!
Okay, so what do I need to make chocolate brownie in a mug?
- Cocoa Powder
- Chocolate chips (optional, but don't skip it)
I like adding chocolate chips to this brownie recipe because once the brownie is cooked, the chocolate chips are melted and they make the brownie even more delicious. Read this piece on Cook's Illustrated about the best dark chocolate chips.
I love how the chocolate chips melt a little bit when the brownie is ready, they're so good! And as you have noticed, no egg is used in this recipe so if you're looking for an eggless brownie recipe, this could be your new favorite!
This chocolate brownie recipe is perfect for the times that you really have a chocolate craving but don't want to spend time making a full batch brownie recipe, or when you want to make a quick midnight snack to indulge while watching your favorite TV program.
How to make brownie in a mug
Start with melting the butter and then mix it with sugar, cocoa powder, all purpose flour and water. Top it off with chocolate chips and cook in the microwave for about one minute until the top is almost set. Let it sit for a minute and then serve. Make sure not to overmix the brownie batter or overcook it in the microwave as both may result in tough and rubbery brownie.
Add a fun twist to your single serving brownie!
Make your fudgy brownie even more delicious by adding some fun ingredients to it:
- Peanut butter chips
- White chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
- Chopped walnuts
- Add half a tablespoon peanut butter to make chocolate peanut butter brownie for one.
- Top the batter with one tablespoon raspberry jam before baking it.
Can I make two mug brownies at once?
Yes you can make brownies in two mugs in the microwave. Double the recipe and make it in two mugs. The cooking time will remain the same as for one chocolate brownie recipe.
How to make single serve brownie in the oven
If you would like to use your oven for this brownie in a mug recipe, I suggest you double the recipe to have two brownies. Preheat the oven to 350°F and coat two ramekins with non stick spray. Grab a bowl to make the brownie batter. Make the batter by mixing melted butter with granulated sugar, cocoa powder, flour and water.
Divide the brownie batter between the ramekins and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes until the top is almost set. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Looking for more brownie recipes?
- Flourless brownies
- Snickers brownies
- Caramel brownies
- Peppermint cheesecake brownies
- Oreo brownies
- Pumpkin pie brownies
Notes and tips to make fudgy brownie in a mug
- Don't over cook your mug brownie as it might get dry and have a rubbery texture.
- You might need to try this chocolate brownie recipe a couple of times as microwaves are different. That also means you're going to have more than one chocolate mug brownie!
- Top the chocolate brownie with some whipped cream or ice cream right before serving.
- You can also make the brownie batter in a separate bowl and then pour it into the mug or a ramekin.
- You can use vegetable oil instead of melted butter in this brownie recipe. Make sure you're using neutral flavored oil such as vegetable oil or canola oil.
Chocolate Brownie Recipe for One (Brownie In a Mug)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 ½ tbsp water
- 1 tbsp chocolate chips
- Mix melted butter with sugar until well combined.
- Add in cocoa powder and all purpose flour.
- Add in water and mix well. Add in chocolate chips and stir.
- Pour the batter into a microwave safe mug. Top with more chocolate chips.
- Cook on high in the microwave for one minute.
- Let it sit for another minute and serve warm or at room temperature.