Fudgy chocolate brownies topped with a luscious peanut butter swirl are absolutely delicious. Learn how to make peanut butter brownies from scratch and wow everyone!
Chocolate decadence runs in this blog through brownie recipes. From the quick and easy brownies recipe to pumpkin pie brownies and s'mores brownies, you've loved them all and now we have a new brownie recipe in the house, the peanut butter brownies made from scratch!
Why this peanut butter brownies recipe works
Rich, chocolaty and absolutely fudgy brownies made with peanut butter are always a winner for some good reasons:
- The peanut butter swirl make the top so pretty and good looking, you won't need to whip up frosting to top these brownies.
- These homemade brownies taste exactly like peanut butter cups, well, not exactly, actually better!
- You'll learn how to make brownies from scratch, without a box mix and all those additives that you don't want to have.
- This peanut butter brownie recipe gives you brownies that are thick and fudgy. They are soft on the edges and center and each bite feels like a chocolate lover's dream!
I used my snickers brownie recipe with a few tweaks for this recipe. I always try to use chocolate or chocolate chips in brownie recipes because it just gives the brownies that pure chocolate flavor we always hope for when biting into one.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies ingredients
To make these fudgy brownies, you need the following ingredients:
- Semi sweet chocolate chips
- All purpose flour
And for the smooth peanut butter swirl you'll need peanut butter, powdered sugar and some butter. I love how just a few ingredients get together and make something as good as these peanut butter brownies.
How to make peanut butter brownies
Star with melting the chocolate chips and butter in a microwave safe dish. You can either melt butter and chocolate chips over simmering water steam or in a microwave.
Once the chocolate and butter are completely melted and combined, add in sugar and mix very well. At this point, your mixture will smell like a chocolate heaven and you might want to grab a spoon to just eat it as is, but keep working on it because it's just about to get better!
Add in the eggs one after another and mix very well after each addition. I've mentioned this before and again today, it's very important to mix the batter very well after adding each egg to have the best texture for your brownies.
Finally, add in flour and mix using a whisk or spatula. Make sure no lumps are left and all the flour is well incorporated There are no leavening elements such as baking powder or baking soda in this brownie recipe because we want our brownies to be very fudgy and not cake-y.
Now off to the fun part, the peanut butter swirl topping!
Making the peanut butter swirl: What kind of peanut butter should I use?
I prefer to use creamy peanut butter and not crunchy for these fudgy brownies because I like the smooth texture. If you're planning to use natural peanut butter, make sure you stir it very well before using so the oil is mixed and the peanut butter has the right texture and consistency. If possible, try to use peanut butter that doesn't have too much sugar in it.
To make the peanut butter swirl mix peanut butter, powdered sugar and melted butter in a bowl and pour it slowly over the brownie batter and swirl using a knife.
Cutting brownies into squares
Once the brownies are baked and are out of the oven. Let them cool in the baking sheet for about 20 minutes then transfer them to a cooking rack and cool completely at room temperature. Then slice them using a very sharp knife and clean the knife after each cut to have clean slices.
Notes and tips to make this recipe
- Do not over bake brownies. This is a very important note to remember. It's so easy to over bake brownies because you might think they're not cooked when they actually are. They should be set on the edges and jiggly in the middle.
- The main flavor for these brownies come from the peanut butter therefore make sure to use a good one.
- I made these brownies in a 9x9 pan but you can simply make them in a 9x13. They won't be as thick but they'll be absolutely delicious. The cooking time may vary.
- To make peanut butter oreo brownies, pour half of the batter into the pan, top with oreos, pour the rest of the batter and then swirl with the peanut butter mixture, it's going to be epic.
Looking for more brownie recipes?
Peanut Butter Brownies
- 8 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 10 oz semi sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
Peanut butter swirl
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 and line an 9x9 baking pan.
- Melt the butter and chocolate over boiling water or in the microwave, stir every 15 seconds.
- Once the chocolate and butter are melted, add in granulated sugar and whisk well.
- Add in eggs one after another, mix well after each addition.
- Mix in flour and stir well so no lumps are left.
- To make peanut butter swirl, mix peanut butter, powdered sugar and melted butter in a small bowl.
- Pour the brownie batter into the baking sheet.
- Using a spoon, pour the peanut butter mixture on the batter and swirl using a knife.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the edges are set but the middle is still jiggly.
- Cool completely and then cut into 16 pieces.