This Chicken Walnut Puff Pastry is a great appetizer as it's very easy and can be made in advance of your meal or party. The creamy and crunchy texture of this dish satisfies every appetite!
Chicken and walnut are admittedly not the most conventional combination of ingredients. But, trust me, you need this in your life.
I love puff pastry because there is so much to do with it. My friend Raquel wrapped a wheel of brie in it and I almost died because it was so AWESOME. I also love chicken breast as we all know by now. One way that I like serving chicken breast is mixing it with some creamy elements like cream cheese or different sauces. This chicken and walnut puff pastry is something special we make for parties as appetizers, or as a light meal when we want to get a little bit fancy but also keep it simple.
So basically all you need is chicken breast. You can either cook it when you want to make the dish or you can use leftovers from another meal as long as they are not smothered with any type of sauce, like rotisserie chicken. You will also need walnuts (pecans will work, too), mayonnaise (low fat will be better), yogurt, green onions, salt and pepper. You can make the puff pastry cups ahead of time and just make the filling when you want to serve the dish. You can also make everything hours ahead and just fill the cups when you want to eat so everything is fresh.
The only thing to notice is how to make the cups. You need 24 puff pastry squares. You set 12 of them aside and cut out a small square from the remaining 12. Then you place the frames on the whole squares using some egg wash to stick them. Simple and easy!
The combination of creamy chicken and crunchy walnut is very delicious and the good thing is that you can adjust everything to your taste: you might want to add more mayo or just go only with Greek yogurt, or add more walnuts (you can never have too many walnuts). However you make this chicken and walnut puff pastry, it will taste wonderful. Green onions are a must, though, as they give a nice touch to the mild taste of the dish.
Now I'm going to get some puff pastry to play with!
Looking for more deliciousness? Check these out!
- Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken Wings
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Buffalo Chicken French Bread
- Walnut Filled Persian Pastry - Qottab
Chicken Walnut Puff Pastry
- 1 chicken breast cut into four large pieces
- 3 sheets puff pastry thawed, each cut into 8 squares
- 1 egg lightly whisked
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 4-5 green onions chopped
- ½ cup low fat mayonnaise add more if desired
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat it with non-stick spray.
- Pat chicken breast pieces dry and sprinkle some salt and pepper on both sides. Place on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until fully cooked. Let chicken breast pieces cool completely then shred them using two forks.
- Turn the oven temperature to 350F.
- Place 24 squares of puff pastry in two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Cut a small square out of 12 of the squares so you have 12 frames.
- Using a pastry brush, brush some egg on the edges of puff pastry squares, then place the 12 puff pastry frames on the squares. Poke the bottom puff pastry 3-4 times using a fork. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Let the "puff pastry cups" cool completely.
- In a large bowl, mix shredded chicken, walnuts, chopped green onion, mayonnaise, Greek yogurt , salt and pepper.
- Fill the cups with chicken mixture and serve either cold or at room temperature.