An easy buffalo chicken dip recipe made with shredded chicken and buffalo sauce. Instructions for oven, crock pot and instant pot are included.
When it comes to savory cheesy dips, buffalo chicken dip is a classic favorite. We also love our pizza dip with pepperoni, roasted garlic dip and cheesy taco dip. Make a trio and your game day will be so much better.
Easy hot buffalo chicken dip
We all love buffalo chicken wings, but they're messy, and not that simple and quick to make. So when you crave that hot buffalo chicken flavor, make this easy dip that comes together in only 30 minutes, 20 minutes of which is done by the oven.
And here is a shortcut for you: use rotisserie chicken and you can save yourself some time. This dip is perfect for parties because it's so simple and comes together in no time. Plus, you can serve it with so many different dippers.
Buffalo chicken dip ingredients
This buffalo chicken dip recipe calls for these ingredients:
- Chicken: I used rotisserie chicken but you can also use shredded chicken (homemade or store-bought).
- Cream cheese: This would give that creamy texture to the dip and will also balance the flavor coming from the hot sauce.
- Hot sauce: I use Frank's, but any hot sauce would work.
- Ranch seasoning mix: You can use store bought or homemade. Here is a homemade ranch seasoning recipe for you to try.
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese: I love shredding my own cheese but you can also get shredded cheese.
Note: To make buffalo chicken dip with blue cheese, simply leave out the ranch seasoning and add ½ cup blue cheese dressing.
How to make buffalo chicken dip with cream cheese
If using rotisserie chicken: Shred the chicken finely using two forks and set it aside. In a bowl, mix softened cream cheese, ranch seasoning, hot sauce and Greek yogurt. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir well to make sure all is combined well.
Mix in the shredded chicken and transfer the dip to an oven safe dish. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until it's hot and bubbling.
If making buffalo chicken dip recipe from scratch: Heat a pan over medium heat. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush two pieces of chicken breast with olive oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper. Place the chicken breasts in the hot pan and sear for about 4 minutes on each side until they're golden brown. Transfer the chicken breasts to the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until they're dully cooked and the internal temperature registers at 165°F.
Let the chicken cool for a few minutes, then shred it and mix it with cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch seasoning and yogurt or sour cream. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Instant pot buffalo chicken dip
It's very helpful to know how to make buffalo chicken dip in instant pot because it can save you time and it's very simple.
If using raw chicken: Place whole chicken breast in the instant pot and add 1 cup water plus ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Lock the lid and make sure the valve is set on "sealing". Press the pressure cook (or manual) button and set it on "High". Set the timer for ten minutes. After 10 seconds, the instant pot will start pressurizing and cooking the chicken. Once the 10 minutes cooking time is up, press cancel and do a quick release. Open the lid and take the chicken breast out. Discard the water and shred the chicken.
Return the chicken to the instant pot and add cream cheese, ranch seasoning, ½ cup cheddar cheese, sour cream and the hot sauce. Press the "saute" button on the instant pot and stir until everything is fully mixed. Cook for about 2 minutes and top with the remaining cheese. Let the cheese melt and serve warm.
If using cooked chicken: Skip the first step for cooking the chicken, simply shred the chicken and add it to the instant pot with hot sauce, cream cheese, ranch seasoning, sour cream, and half of the cheddar cheese. Press the "saute" function and stir until all the ingredients are mixed together. Then top with the remaining cheese and top loosely with the lid so the cheese melts.
Crock pot buffalo chicken dip recipe
It's so common to make this hot buffalo chicken dip in crock pot or slow cooker. To do so, I suggest you use cooked chicken. You can use homemade cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken. Shred the chicken and mix it in the slow cooker with ½ cup cheddar cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, ranch seasoning and hot sauce. Then set the slow cooker to cook on low for 2 hours until the cheese is melted and the dip is warm and creamy. Top with the remaining cheese and cook for another 30 minutes.
Can I make this dip ahead of time?
Yes! You can prepare all the ingredients, mix them and transfer them into an oven safe dish. Then cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours before cooking in the oven, instant pot or slow cooker.
Looking for more buffalo chicken recipes?
Can I freeze buffalo chicken dip?
I suggest you don't freeze buffalo chicken dip because the cheese will break once thawed and heated. And we live for that creamy, luscious texture of this hot dip, right?
How long can this chicken dip sit at room temperature?
If serving it in the slow cooker, it can stay warm for up to 3 hours. However, if you're serving this chicken dip in a bowl, refrigerate it after 2 hours.
What goes well with creamy buffalo chicken dip?
What's best about this hot dip is that you can have it with any kind of dippers you please, here are some of the common dippers:
- Tortilla chips or potato chips
- Crackers and pretzels
- Any kind of bread
- Cucumber slices
- Celery sticks
- Carrot sticks
Now this may sound funny, but I love putting this dip on a piece of bread and have it as an open-face sandwich. It's so good!
Recipe notes and tips:
- This buffalo chicken dip is Keto friendly so if you're following Keto, this recipe is perfect for your parties or just a dinner.
- Make sure the cream cheese is softened and cut it into small pieces so it mixes easily with the rest of the ingredients.
- I used Frank's hot sauce but you can also make your own hot sauce. I like this hot sauce recipe from Don't waste the crumbs blog.
- I used non fat Greek yogurt for this recipe but I have also tried it with sour cream and also a mix of yogurt and sour cream. All combinations work well.
- If you like you buffalo chicken dip to be super cheesy, add one cup shredded cheddar cheese to the mixture before baking it.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- ⅓ - ⅔ cup hot sauce such as Frank’s®
- 1 pack dry ranch dressing mix
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, ranch seasoning, sour cream, hot sauce, and ½ cup cheddar cheese until well combined.
- Add in the shredded chicken and combine well. Pour mixture into an 8x8 baking dish, top with the remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese, and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until dip is hot and bubbling.
- Top with green onion and blue cheese crumbles.
- Place a whole chicken breast in the instant pot and add 1 cup water, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Seal the lid and press the pressure cook or manual button and set it on
high. Set the timer for 10 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, press cancel and do a quick release. Open the lid and take the chicken out to shred. Discard the water in which the chicken has cooked.
- Return the shredded chicken to the instant pot with the sour cream, ranch seasoning, cream cheese, hot sauce and half of the cheddar cheese.
Press the saute button and stir to mix all the ingredients. This would take about 2 to 3 minutes. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese and cover loosely with the lid so the cheddar cheese melts.
- If using cooked chicken, shred it and mix it with the rest of the ingredients in the instant pot. Press the saute function and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes until it’s heated through. Top with more cheese and let it melt. Serve warm.
- Shred the cooked chicken (homemade or rotisserie) an mix it in the slow cooker with sour cream, cream cheese, ranch seasoning and hot sauce.
- Cook on low for two hours until it’s hot and the cheese are all melted. Stir well and top with the remaining cheese. Cook for another 30 minutes on low until the cheese is melted.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate. It's best to reheat this dip in the oven.
- You can always add more hot sauce and cheddar cheese depending on your preference. Please taste as you go to make sure your dip has enough flavor.
This post was sponsored by Collective Bias and was first published in January 2016.