Have a festive morning with these Cranberry White Chocolate Scones! Juicy cranberries and sweet white chocolate make this scone the perfect breakfast!
Bye bye pumpkins, hello cranberries! We love you, even though you’re only here for a month or so.
Living in Massachusetts, I’ve been cooking and baking with cranberries since mid-November. Cranberries are not common in the Middle East so they are still new to me. I can’t forget the first time I saw cranberries and popped a handful in my mouth thinking “they’re just berries.” Oh well, lesson learned.
With the holiday season already here, we try to have delicious breakfasts together and these cranberry white chocolate scones are a favorite that I’m planning to make a couple more times before the season is up.
More delicious breakfast recipes:
- SWEET AND SPICY BREAKFAST TOAST
- ALMOND COCONUT BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE
- AVOCADO TOAST BOATS
- PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY STUFFED PANCAKES
- NUTELLA COCOA OATMEAL
These white chocolate cranberry scones are perfect for a cold day breakfast (in bed? YES!). It takes only 35 minutes for start to finish and it’s very simple to make. All you need is flour, butter, egg, Greek yogurt, cranberries and white chocolate.
This is the perfect recipe for all the cranberries that are left in the fridge and you don’t know what to do with!
Look at those flaky layers of deliciousness! What makes these layers happen, you ask? Butter, my friends, butter.
Chilled butter mixed with flour results in the flakiest scones your soul has ever tasted. Just make sure to mix the butter with flour using your fingertips or a fork – or a food processor. If using your fingertips, don’t over do it because the heat of the fingertips would soften the butter which would make the scones less flaky that usual.
These cranberry white chocolate scones have the perfect amount of sweetness with white chocolate chips in every bite. A couple of these with a cup of green tea in the morning would make me want to sit behind the window and stare at the snow and fall in love with this festive season all over again!
Notes and tips to make cranberry white chocolate scones:
- You can use 1 cup dried cranberries instead of 1 1/2 cup fresh cranberries. Add them to the batter with the white chocolate chips.
- You can use 2/3 cup buttermilk instead of Greek yogurt. To make homemade buttermilk, mix 2/3 cup whole milk with 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice.
- For this recipe, the butter should be chilled. Cut the butter into small cubes and place it in the freezer for 10-20 minutes before adding it to the flour mixture.
- If you like the combination of cranberries and oranges, add 1 teaspoon orange zest to the flour mixture.
- The scones are done once they are golden at the bottom and on the top. Check the scones after 18 minutes to make sure they don’t burn.
Cranberry White Chocolate Scones
A delicious combination of juicy cranberries and sweet white chocolate, these scones are perfect with a cup of coffee for breakfast!
- 2 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter Cubed and Chilled
- 1 Egg
- 2/3 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup White Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/2 cup Fresh Cranberries
Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Add cold butter and rub it into the flour mixture using a fork or your fingertips until it resembles bread crumbs. Set aside
In another bowl, mix the egg, yogurt and vanilla.
Add the egg mixture to flour and butter mixture. Stir using a wooden spoon until everything is just combined. Don't over mix.
Add in white chocolate chips and cranberries. Mix using a wooden spoon to form a dough.
Place the dough on the baking sheet, form the dough into a 1 1/2 inch thick circle and cut into 8 wedges. Make some space between the wedges as they tend to spread a little bit while cooking. You can also separate them completely and set them on the baking sheet.
Sprinkle some granulated sugar on the scones and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Let cool for 15 minutes then serve.