If you soups with bold flavors, this homemade chicken ramen soup recipe is for you. Learn how to make this easy soup at home with just a few ingredients.
Do you love bright and bold flavors? Then you've got to try our spicy ramen, quick Korean beef and rice and of course, our vegetarian fried rice. Today we have another favorite here, homemade chicken ramen, with juicy chicken breast and a delicious stock, topped with and egg that has a silky golden yolk!
About this recipe
This chicken ramen recipe is packed with so much flavor and is pretty easy which is perfect for a weeknight dinner. You should know that authentic ramen recipe calls for a broth that has been cooked for several hour and there is no doubt that it’s an absolutely delicious broth.
This recipe however includes a chicken broth that’s ready in 30 minutes. It’s perfect for the times you’re craving something delicious, comforting and homemade but don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen.
This is a healthy and easy recipe you can make to jazz up your weeknight meals and bring more flavor to your table. You’ll be amazed by the flavors and how easy this homemade chicken ramen is.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Eggs: I usually go with one egg per person. You want the eggs to be soft boiled with a yolk being just a bit runny. You can try cooking the eggs using my instant pot eggs tutorial or if you have the time, try making ramen eggs.
- Garlic and ginger: These are essential ingredients to have on hand if you want the broth to be jam-packed with flavor.
- Soy sauce: Since we are using chicken broth as well, make sure the soy sauce is low sodium.
- Chicken broth: It's best to use low sodium chicken broth for this recipe. You can also use vegetable broth or just water.
- Vegetables: I used baby bella mushrooms and bok choy for this chicken ramen recipe. You can also use shiitake or white button mushrooms and use other greens such as spinach.
- Chicken: I use boneless skinless chicken breast for this recipe and sear it first to lock in the juices before baking it. This way the chicken will be very juicy and tender.
- Cook the noodles: Bring a pot of water to boil and cook the noodles according to the packaging.
- Make the broth: Sauté garlic and ginger for a minute. Add the soy sauce and the chicken stock and bring it to a simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes. Add the mushrooms and bok choy and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Prepare the chicken: While the broth is being cooked, season the chicken and and sear it in a pan. Then finish cooking in the oven.
- Cook the eggs: Fill a saucepan with water and gently place the eggs in the saucepan. Place it over medium high heat and bring it to a boil. Cook the eggs for only 7 minutes. Drain and put them in a bowl full of ice water so they stop cooking.
- Assemble: To assemble the chicken ramen bowls, divide the noodles among the bowls, pour the broth over the cooked ramen noodles and top with cooked mushrooms, bok choy and sliced chicken. Finish with the egg and serve immediately.
Frequently asked questions
You can make each component of the dish (the eggs, broth, chicken and noodles) up to one day in advance. I recommend assembling the bowls right before serving.
It's best to store each component separately in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Yes, you can make the same dish using seared tofu or baked or seared shrimp.
More Soup Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Easy Homemade Chicken Ramen Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 7 ramen noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger grated
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce low sodium
- 4 cups chicken stock low sodium
- 2 bok choys cut into half lengthwise
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 chicken breast boneless and skinless
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Prepare the Ramen noodles according to the package. Set it aside.
To make the broth:
- Heat olive oil in a pot. Sauté the ginger and garlic for a minute.
- Add the soy sauce and stock, bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add bok choy and cook for another 5 minutes.
To make the chicken:
- While the broth is being cooked, start working on the chicken: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Rub salt and pepper on the chicken breasts.
- In a pan, heat olive oil and pan sear the chicken breasts until light brown on both sides.
- Place them on the baking sheet and roast in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until fully cooked.
- Cover with foil and set aside until ready to eat.
To make the soft boiled egg:
- Fill a pot with enough water to cover the egg. Bring the water to boil.
- Boil the egg for 7 minutes. Fill a bowl with iced water and put the egg immediately in the bowl so it stops cooking.
- Let it cool and peel away the shell. Set aside until ready to eat.
Assemble the bowl:
- Put half of Ramen noodles in each bowl. Slice the chicken and arrange them on one side of each bowl.
- Take the bok choy and mushrooms out of the broth and place them next to the chicken.
- Add the broth to the bowl. It should not cover the chicken.
- Slice the eggs into half, length wise. And put them in each bowl.
- Garnish with green onion.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- You can use any kind of ramen for this recipe.