This spicy ramen recipe is going to be your favorite. Spicy ramen broth with delicious noodles and topped with a soft yolk egg is great for dinner.
I can have soup no matter what the weather is and one of our go-to soup recipes is of course, our easy chicken ramen recipe that you all love as well. Today I’m adding another favorite to the collection: spicy ramen with shrimp! It’s such a simple recipe yet is packed with so much flavor and let me tell you this, one bowl will not be enough!
What to add to ramen to make it spicy?
We love spicy food over here and once it gets cold, spicy soups become a staple at our house and this easy spicy ramen soup tops them all. I make my ramen spicy by adding sriracha to the broth from the very beginning. This helps the flavors combine very well especially if you let the broth simmer for a longer time.
This is a quick and easy ramen recipe that’s ready in no time. However, you can always make it more delicious by letting the broth slow simmer for an hour or so. This is an extra step that if you have time to take, will totally up your ramen game.
Ingredients to make spicy ramen recipe
Our favorite spicy ramen noodles recipe calls for a few main ingredients:
- Eggs: Soft-boiled eggs are perfect for this soup.
- Chicken broth: You can use store-bought or homemade. My favorite is better than bouillon.
- Garlic and ginger: These would add a lot of flavor to the soup.
- Sriracha (or another Asian hot sauce)
- Sesame oil, soy sauce and rice vinegar: The winning combination to make a delicious ramen.
- Mushrooms: You can use white button mushrooms or any other kind of mushroom that you like.
- Ramen noodles (any brand) – You can find ramen noodles at your local supermarket in the Asian food aisle. It’s best not to use top ramen style noodles for this recipe. Read more about choosing the perfect noodle on the kitchn.
- Shrimp: I suggest using frozen shrimp whenever you can since fresh shrimp at the supermarket is usually just thawed frozen shrimp.
- Scallions: You can also use green onions.
How do you make spicy ramen soup?
Start by mixing chicken broth, sriracha, water, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil and rice vinegar in a large pot. Bring to simmer, reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes. This ramen soup base has great flavor thanks to garlic and ginger.
Add in the shrimp and sliced mushrooms. Cook for about 2 minutes and then add the ramen noodles. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until noodles are cooked. Serve warm and top with sesame seeds.
How to make eggs for ramen noodles
Place the eggs in a pot and cover with water. Place over medium heat and bring to boil. Once it starts boiling, turn the heat off and cover for 6 minutes, then run under cold water and peel. Cut in half and serve with spicy ramen noodles soup. You can also make instant pot eggs which is so easy and quick.
Shall I cook the noodles in the broth for ramen soup?
If you’re going to serve all the spicy ramen and have no leftovers, then simply cook the noodles in the simmering broth. However, if you think it’s possible to have leftoves, cook the noodles separately and store them separately fir best texture and flavor.
Notes and tips to make spicy ramen noodle soup
- You can add other types of protein like baked chicken, beef or tofu to the soup instead of shrimp. Simply top the spicy ramen with your favorite protein.
- If you like greens, cook 4 bokchoys in the broth with the mushrooms.
- Store the leftovers in a container and refrigerate for up to 4 days. If you have leftover noodles, try to separate them from the broth before refrigeration.
- If you like the ramen bowl to be spicier, top with more sriracha right before serving.
- For vegan spicy ramen leave out the shrimp and eggs and use vegetable stock instead of chicken broth. You can top the ramen with pan seared tofu.
Spicy Ramen Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups chicken broth see note #1
- 2 cup water
- 2 tbsp sriracha see note #2
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 10 oz white button mushrooms sliced
- 16 oz large shrimp about 20 shrimp
- 7 oz ramen noodles
- 1/2 cup scallions chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Place the eggs in a sauce pan and cover them with water. Bring to boil and once the water starts boiling, turn the heat off and put the lid on the sauce pan. Let the eggs sit undisturbed for six minutes.
- After six minutes, run the eggs under cold water and peel them. Set aside.
- In a large pot, mix chicken broth, water, garlic, ginger, sriracha, sesame oil, soy sauce and rice vinegar.
- Bring it to simmer, reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Add in sliced mushrooms and shrimps, cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the noodles and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Divide the spicy ramen between four bowls, top with half an egg, sesame seeds and scallions.
- You can use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to make vegan ramen.
- Start with 2 tablespoons sriracha, this makes the ramen noodle soup pretty spicy. However, if you would like to have it even spicier, add some more sriracha right before serving.
- If you would like to make this spicy ramen recipe vegetarian, swipe chicken broth for vegetable stock and use tofu or bokchoy instead of shrimp.
- If you're going to have leftovers, make the noodles separately according to the instructions on the package and divide it between four bowls. Then fill the bowls with the soup base, shrimp and mushrooms.