Making pistachio butter at home is easy and takes a few minutes. You can enjoy it like any nut butter on toast or use it in baked goods. The intense pistachio flavor is unique and absolutely delicious. It's naturally vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free.
We are on a pistachio roll and I cannot stop thinking about and making recipes using pistachios. If you haven't yet, make sure to read more about pistachios and how to use them in sweet and savory recipes. Today I'm going to show you how to make pistachio butter, it's a simple recipe that comes together in no times and tastes phenomenal!
Table Of Contents:
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy: Using a proper food processor, you can make creamy peanut butter in a matter of minutes and enjoy it for quite some time.
- Delicious: No added oil or sugar, this is pure pistachio butter that tastes fantastic.
- Economical: A jar of store bought pistachio butter is pretty pricy and once you try making it at home, you won't be going back!
- Versatile: There is so much you can do with pistachio butter including using it for breakfast or in baked good. I also love gifting it, everyone always gets so excited!
Tips To Make The Best Pistachio Butter
- Quality: Get the best pistachios you can find. The pistachios should have a vibrant color and smell slightly sweet. Stale color or aroma means the pistachios ate old. Make sure the shells are slightly open and not completely closed.
- Unsalted: Always use unsalted pistachios to make pistachio butter. You can adjust the salt to your liking.
- Blender: Make sure your blender or food processor is high speed so it can blend the nuts into a smooth nut butter.
How To Make Pistachio Butter
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring it to a boil. Add the pistachios and boil for 10 minutes. Drain and let them cool for some minutes.
- Place the pistachios on a clean towel and cover them loosely. Rub the pistachios with the towel to peel them. Most of the pistachios should be peeled using this technique and you can peel a few that's left with your hands.
- Place the peeled pistachios in the oven and roast for 10 minutes. This step is optional but gives a deeper flavor to the pistachios.
- Place the pistachios in the bowl of a high speed blender or a food processor. Blend in intervals and scrape the sides every now and then. It takes between 5 and 15 minutes for the pistachio butter to reach your desired consistency.
- Chocolate: Add 2 tablespoon cocoa powder to the pistachios with 4 to 6 tablespoons maple syrup or agave.
- Vanilla: Add a splash of vanilla extract to the pistachios and then blend.
- Cardamom rose: Add ½ teaspoon cardamom powder and a splash of rosewater then blend the pistachios.
There are so many ways to enjoy pistachio butter. You can top your morning oatmeal with it or add it to yogurt parfaits. Spread it on toast and drizzle with some honey, or even use it in desserts such as ice cream, cakes or cookies. Another way to enjoy this creamy pistachio butter is to add it to your drinks such as lattes or smoothies.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 6 weeks. You can freeze pistachio butter as well. To do so, transfer it to a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 6 months. To serve, let it thaw at room temperature and give it a good stir before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely, just make sure they are quality pistachios. The color should be bright without any brown spots.
You sure can, the color might not be as vibrant as the pistachio butter we have here, but the flavor is going to be just as good.
It taste nutty with a subtle sweetness and all in all, so delicious!
More Recipes To Try
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Pistachio Butter Recipe
- 2 cups pistachios shells
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil and add the pistachios to the water. Boil for 10 minutes, drain and let them cool for a few minutes. Place the pistachios on a clean kitchen towel. Rub the pistachios using the kitchen towel to remove the skin. Most of the pistachios will be peeled this way and you can peel the few remaining ones with your hand.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and arrange the pistachios in one single layer on the baking sheet. Roast the pistachios for 10 minutes. Let them cool completely.
- Place the pistachios in the bowl of a food processor or a high speed blender. Blend in intervals and pause to scrape the sides using a spatula. Blend until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Transfer to a jar and refrigerate for up to 6 weeks.
- You can skip the boiling and peeling step, the color of the pistachio butter will be darker but the flavor would be the same.
- You can add pistachio butter yo oatmeal, yogurt, lattes, smoothies, ice cream or baked goods.
- Pistachio butter can be frozen for up to 6 months. Thaw at room temperature and stir well before using.