This caramel sauce recipe will change your life! Learn how to make homemade caramel sauce with only four ingredients and in fifteen minutes!
I love making caramel at home, the chewy caramel recipe is one of my favorite candies and now I have a new addiction! Who would have thought it’d be so easy to make caramel sauce at home?
But why would I make caramel sauce at home?
It’s pretty convenient to step into a grocery store and grab a jar of caramel sauce, sure, but we all know homemade is better. It’s fresh, it doesn’t have any preservatives or weird ingredients and honestly, it’s fun and feels awesome to make a staple at home!
I’m going to show you how to make caramel sauce with only four ingredients and in less than fifteen minutes. You’ll want to have a jar of this homemade caramel sauce at hand all the time.
Ways to use homemade caramel sauce:
- Drizzle on ice cream
- Serve with apples
- Use in apple pie and cobbler
- Drizzle caramel sauce on pancakes and waffles
- Use caramel sauce to top cheesecakes and brownies
- Add caramel sauce to your coffee
What do I need to make caramel sauce?
You only need four ingredients: sugar, water, butter and heavy cream. Pretty simple right? Just make sure you have all the ingredients lined up and ready before you start. I would even put them right next to the stove so I can add them one after another since timing is important.
How to make Caramel Sauce without corn syrup
Even though traditional caramel candies call for corn syrup, caramel sauce usually doesn’t include corn syrup because it’s not going to be solid like the candy. This caramel sauce recipe with white sugar and cream is absolutely easy and takes less than twenty minutes from start to finish:
- Place sugar and water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Do not stir the mixture at all. Bring to boil and simmer until it turns amber.
- Add butter to the mixture and wait for thirty seconds.
- Turn the heat off, add heavy cream, stir and then turn the heat on again and cook for about one minute or until it reaches the desired thickness.
This is a thick caramel sauce and if you would like to have it runnier, you don’t need to cook it over heat after adding the cream. But trust me on this one, however you decide to make it, this is going to be the best caramel sauce you’ve ever tasted!
Salted Caramel Recipe
If you like to make homemade salted caramel sauce, just add 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt to the caramel sauce after you add the cream.
Can I make caramel sauce with brown sugar? You sure can and the process will be the same. Brown sugar has molasses in it so it will alter the flavor from classic caramel but it’s going to be good.
Notes and tips to make easy caramel sauce
- Have all the ingredients ready. As sugar burns quickly, there won’t be time for you to look for heavy cream in the fridge. It’s best to have all ingredients lined up before start.
- This is a quick caramel recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes. Don’t rush the process and let the sugar and water reach the right amber color slowly.
- I like my caramel sauce thick and a bit dark but if you like yours runnier then add the cream earlier and turn the heat off earlier as well.
- Before adding the cream, make sure the heat is off. Add the cream very slowly so your caramel sauce won’t clump.
- Store caramel sauce in a jar and refrigerate for up to ten days. Reheat the sauce in the microwave or over water bath for drizzling.
Homemade Caramel Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Place sugar and water in a large sauce pan, don't stir the mixture.
- Bring the sugar and water to boil and simmer until the mixture gets a light amber color.
- Add in butter and stir to melt the butter.
- turn the heat off and slowly add in heavy cream and stir well.
- If you like the sauce to be thick, place the sauce pan back on the heat and cook it for a couple of minutes.
- Let the caramel sauce cool a little bit and store it in a jar.