Enjoy summer with the best caramel milkshake. This creamy milkshake is made with vanilla ice cream, delicious caramel sauce and topped with whipped cream.
We have many delicious milkshake recipes here on the blog. Some of our favorites are banana milkshake, cookies and cream milkshake and of course, classic vanilla milkshake. Here is a new addition to our collection: the ultimate caramel milkshake! It’s creamy, cold and sweet, and it’s perfect for hot summer days!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Nothing beats summer heat like a good milkshake. What I love about milkshakes is that you can make them in any flavor you enjoy. Today, I’m going to show you how to make caramel milkshake with just a few ingredients. If you love caramel, then you’re going to love this milkshake. It’s the perfect treat for summer!
More caramel recipes:
- Chewy caramel recipe
- Caramel latte
- Easy Caramel brownies
- Caramel apple cobbler
- Southern caramel cake
- Caramel pecan cheesecake
What’s the secret to a good milkshake?
- Use real stuff: This makes a huge difference. Real ice cream and whole milk are the two items that can make a milkshake perfect. Try not to skip those if possible because full fat ice cream and whole milk are what make a milkshake creamy.
- Flavoring: To make sure your milkshake is flavored well, try to use high quality ingredients because basically that’s the main ingredient to flavor your milkshake. In this homemade caramel milkshake recipe, we used high quality caramel sauce to make sure it has the perfect flavor.
- More for serving: I try to add more of the flavoring item to the milkshake right before serving. This can be a drizzle of caramel sauce around the serving glass for this caramel milkshake recipe.
Ingredients to make caramel milkshake
You need the following ingredients for this recipe:
- Whole milk
- Vanilla ice cream
- Caramel sauce: You can use store bought or use my homemade caramel sauce recipe.
- Whipped cream
Using ice for milkshakes is an optional step and you can leave it out if needed. I add the ice because I like the frothiness that it adds and I love my milkshake extra cold.
Can I use sugar free caramel sauce?
As I mentioned before, it’s best to use real deal stuff to make a milkshake. However, if you would like to make sugar free milkshake, swap vanilla ice cream for sugar free vanilla ice cream (here is a recipe for keto vanilla ice cream) and use homemade sugar free caramel sauce instead of regular caramel sauce.
Can I make milkshakes ahead of time?
It’s best to make the milkshake right before serving so it’s cold and fresh. Milkshake doesn’t stay well in the fridge and are best served right away. Therefore it’s advised not to make milkshakes ahead of time.
What blender to use?
Using the right blender plays a huge part when it comes to recipes. A powerful blender can save you a lot of time and headache. It’s best to invest once in a good and high quality blender and enjoy it for years to come. I have a Blendtec and I’m very happy with it. It’s fast, powerful and very easy to use.
Other flavors for caramel milkshake
You can add other ingredients to this milkshake if you’re feeling adventurous. Here are some ideas:
- Chocolate caramel milkshake recipe: Follow the recipe as instructed and before you pour the milkshake into the serving glass, pour some chocolate sauce inside the glass around the rim.
- Banana caramel milkshake: Add 1 banana to the ingredients in this recipe and blend it all together.
- Salted caramel milkshake: If you love salted caramel, this one is for you. Simply add a pinch of salt to the caramel sauce before adding it to the other ingredients.
Here are more milkshake recipes:
- Saffron milkshake
- Coconut milkshake for chocolate lovers
- Mango milkshake
- Strawberry milkshake
- Peanut butter chocolate milkshake
Ultimate Caramel Milkshake
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream
- 1/3 cup caramel sauce store bought or homemade
- 1/2 cup ice optional
- whipped cream
- Place milk, vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce and ice in a blender jar.
- Blend on high for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Drizzle more caramel sauce into the serving glasses.
- Divide the milkshake between two glasses and top with whipped cream.
- Serve immediately.