Enjoy summer with the best caramel milkshake. This creamy milkshake is made with vanilla ice cream, a delicious caramel sauce and topped with whipped cream.
We have many delicious milkshake recipes here on the blog. Some of our favorites are our complete tutorial on how to make a milkshake, banana milkshake, cookies and cream milkshake, and of course, classic vanilla milkshake. Here is a new addition to our collection: the ultimate caramel milkshake! It's creamy, cold and sweet, and it's perfect for hot summer days!
Table Of Contents:
Nothing beats summer heat like a good milkshake. What I love about milkshakes is that you can make them in any flavor you enjoy. Today, I'm going to show you how to make a caramel milkshake with just a few ingredients. It's the perfect treat for summer! If you're looking for my recipes using caramel, try my chewy caramel recipe, caramel latte or our favorite caramel brownies!
The secret to a good milkshake
- Use real stuff: This makes a huge difference. Real ice cream and whole milk are the two items that can make a milkshake perfect. Try not to skip those if possible because full fat ice cream and whole milk are what make a milkshake creamy.
- Flavoring: To make sure your milkshake is nicely flavored, try to use high quality ingredients because basically. In this milkshake recipe, we used high quality caramel sauce to make sure it has the perfect flavor.
- More for serving: I try to add more of the flavoring item to the milkshake right before serving. This can be a drizzle of caramel sauce around the serving glass for this caramel milkshake recipe.
You need the following ingredients for this recipe:
- Milk: Whole milk works best here, you can also use 2% milk.
- Ice cream: Classic vanilla ice cream would be perfect!
- Caramel sauce: You can use store bought or use my homemade caramel sauce recipe. Use the leftovers to make caramel apple cobbler or caramel pecan cheesecake!
- Ice: This is an optional addition. If you'd like the milkshake to be a bit frothy you can use a few cubes of ice.
- Whipped cream: No milkshake is complete without some whipped cream!
Frequently asked questions
As mentioned before, it's best to use the real deal to make a milkshake. However, if you would like to make a sugar free milkshake, swap vanilla ice cream for sugar free vanilla ice cream (here is a recipe for keto vanilla ice cream) and use homemade sugar free caramel sauce instead of regular caramel sauce.
It's best to make the milkshake right before serving so it's cold and fresh. They don't stay well in the fridge and are best served right away. Therefore, it's advised not to make milkshakes ahead of time.
Using the right blender is essential. A powerful blender can save you a lot of time and headache. It's best to make a one-time investment in a high quality blender and enjoy it for years to come.
You can add other ingredients to this milkshake if you're feeling adventurous. Here are some ideas:
- Chocolate caramel: Follow the recipe as directed and before you pour the milkshake into the serving glass, pour some chocolate sauce inside the glass around the rim.
- Banana caramel: Add 1 banana to the ingredients in this recipe and blend it all together.
- Salted caramel: If you love salted caramel, this one is for you. Simply add a pinch of salt to the caramel sauce before adding it to the other ingredients.
Looking for more milkshake recipes?
- Saffron milkshake
- Coconut milkshake for chocolate lovers
- Mango milkshake
- Strawberry milkshake
- Peanut butter chocolate milkshake
Ultimate Caramel Milkshake
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 ½ cup vanilla ice cream
- ⅓ cup caramel sauce store bought or homemade
- ½ cup ice optional
- whipped cream
- Place milk, vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce and ice in a blender jar.
- Blend on high for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Drizzle more caramel sauce into the serving glasses.
- Divide the milkshake between two glasses and top with whipped cream.
- Serve immediately.
- If you'd like to try homemade caramel, check out my caramel sauce recipe.
- Chilling the glasses in the freezer will keep the milkshake thick for longer.
- Add more caramel sauce if you'd like the milkshake to be sweeter.