Vanilla milkshake is probably the most-loved milkshake in the world. Learn how to make the best homemade vanilla milkshake and enjoy it any time of the year.
You know we love our milkshake recipes, from mango milkshake to chocolate milkshake, Coconut Milkshake and everything in between, we always have time and appetite for delicious milkshakes. This classic vanilla milkshake is one that we love because it's so simple and always tastes excellent. Creamy and delicious, this vanilla milkshake is anything but basic!
The best homemade vanilla milkshake
When it comes to milkshakes, we all have our own favorites but I bet there's no one out there who would say no to a classic vanilla milkshake topped with heaps of whipped cream and a strawberry. This milkshake is so good and creamy, and it's very easy to make.
If you own a blender and love ice cream, you can make any milkshake at home. It takes less than 2 minutes to make a killer milkshake and it would save you a lot of time and money compared to getting one at the store around the corner. Plus, you can get all creative with additional ingredients and flavors.
Today's simple vanilla milkshake is indeed a classic. Made with only three ingredients, this milkshake is a simple summer treat that both adults and kids love. Keep reading for more information about how to make the best milkshake at home.
This easy milkshake recipe has just a few ingredients:
- Ice cream: I prefer using vanilla bean ice cream for more flavor. The specks of vanilla you see in the ice cream, that's where all the flavor is.
- Milk: Using cold whole milk helps make the milkshake creamy. I don't recommend using 1% or skim milk for this recipe.
- Vanilla extract: This is an extra step but using a high quality vanilla extract gives a bold flavor to the vanilla shake. Check out this article to learn more about vanilla and how to store it.
Sometimes, I use a cup of ice in my milkshake as well to make it frothy. This is not a necessary ingredient and you can absolutely skip it.
How to make a milkshake with ice cream
- First of all, make sure the ice cream is frozen cold. The colder the ice cream, the creamier and thicker the vanilla milkshake will be.
- Place the ice cream, milk and vanilla extract in a blender and blend for twenty to thirty seconds until the shake is ready and creamy.
- Pour into chilled glasses and serve immediately.
The secret to a good milkshake
One thing that's very important to remember when making milkshakes is to keep the glasses ice cold. To do so, place the clean glasses in the freezer for 10 minutes. Once you pour the milkshake into the glasses, they would make it even colder and tastier. Try not to skip this step when making a milkshake at home.
How to serve vanilla shakes
For a classic vanilla milkshake you can top it with some whipped cream. You can also add different toppings such as a cookie straw or berries. A dash of cinnamon would give a nice flavor to the milkshake. Or, you can be more adventurous and top the vanilla milkshake with an actual cookie!
Want to jazz things up in this vanilla milkshake?
You can add some interesting ingredients to make this classic vanilla milkshake differently every time:
- Add a chocolate chip cookie to the rest of the ingredients and blend everything together for a chocolate chip cookie milkshake.
- Sprinkles will give you a birthday cake milkshake!
- Some chocolate syrup inside the glass to make marble milkshake.
The possibilities are endless!
How do you make a vanilla milkshake without ice cream?
You can simply use vanilla frozen yogurt or dairy free frozen dessert instead of ice cream. And, if you like your milkshake on the thick side, add a cup of ice to your blender and pulse four or five times.
Looking for more milkshake recipes?
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Milkshake Recipe
- Cookies and Cream Milkshake
- Banana milkshake
- Coffee milkshake
- Caramel milkshake
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Classic Vanilla Milkshake
- 1 ½ cup vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream (optional)
- Make sure vanilla ice cream and milk are completely cold.
- Place the cold vanilla ice cream and whole milk in the blender.
- Add in vanilla extract.
- Blend for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Divide between two very cold glasses.
- Top with whipped cream and berries.
- For creamy milkshake, make sure you use full fat ice cream and whole milk.
- For a thicker milkshake, add 1 cup of ice to the ingredients in the blender.