This saffron milkshake recipe is always a winner! Take a delicious trip to Iran with this Persian saffron milkshake that tastes like traditional Iranian ice cream without the hassle!
I love how flavors and aromas can take you to places and bring back so many memories! Saffron and rose water are some of those flavors that take me back to where I come from.
Saffron and rose water are both used frequently in Persian recipes and, for me, they are the flavors that I grew up with and had every day. I love using these flavors in more modern and non-traditional recipes like this cardamom rose hot chocolate or my favorite rosewater cardamom pancakes. It’s like retelling a story from a new point of view.
This saffron milkshake recipe that I’m sharing with you today is also a new way to use two of my all time favorite flavors that also happen to be the flavors of Iran’s traditional ice cream as well.
Persian Saffron Milkshake Recipe
Saffron Milkshake tastes like an Iranian traditional ice cream called bastani sonnati which literally means “traditional ice cream”. This delicious Persian concoction is full of saffron and rose water and is perfect for summer. This milkshake recipe has the exact same flavor and it’s so refreshing as well as flavorful.
What do I need for this Persian milkshake recipe?
For this easy milkshake recipe, start with some saffron, here is a tutorial on how to bloom saffron. Next, you need:
- Vanilla ice cream: The creamier, the better!
- Milk: Any kind of milk, dairy or non dairy would work perfectly.
- Rose water: For floral aroma and flavor.
- Cardamom: As a compliment to saffron and rose water.
Blend all the ingredients in a blender and voila, traditional Iranian ice cream in a glass. The flavors are out of this world!
Would I say this is one of the best milkshakes I’ve ever had? Absolutely. The floral flavor and beautiful golden color is something that you can’t just pass on and when it’s paired with rose water and cardamom, it makes such a magical combination that it will be sure to capture your heart!
Notes and tips for saffron milkshake recipe with ice cream
- You can use any type of vanilla ice cream, or even vanilla frozen yogurt. If using frozen yogurt, leave out the milk.
- You can also use any type of milk including almond or soy milk for this recipe, as long as it’s not flavored.
- There is no substitute for saffron in this milkshake recipe.
- Garnish the saffron milkshakes with dried edible rosebuds.
You’ll taste the love of Persian cuisine in every sip. As regular readers know, I love my homeland’s cuisine. After all, I loved it so much that I wrote a cookbook about it.
All your friends, family and guests will love this Persian saffron milkshake. It’s full of magical flavors!
Tools and Ingredients to make Saffron Milkshake
Persian Saffron Milkshake
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp bloomed saffron See Note#1
- A pinch of ground cardamom See Note #2
- 1 tbsp rosewater See Note #2
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender, serve cold.
Have you made this recipe? Let us know by commenting and rating on this recipe. Take a picture and tag @unicornsinthekitchen and #unicornsinthekitchen for a chance to be featured!