This summer fruit icebox cake is the easiest cake you will ever make. Layers of good old graham crackers and homemade vanilla pudding, topped with summer fruit makes the perfect no-bake cake!
If there is one thing I love about summer, it’s all the delicious fruit that call my name!
I can live on fruit in summer, even though I love barbecue but because we live in an apartment and for me barbecue means either Kyle’s mom’s juicy delicious burgers or my forever favorite southern barbecue dishes, I don’t focus on barbecue as much in summer. So, fruit is my go-to!
And since this year Ramadan is again in warm days, I can definitely use some no bake cold dessert that isn’t too heavy but still will cure my dessert cravings.
More summer dessert recipes:
- Chocolate Covered Strawberry Scones
- No Bake Mini Blueberry Cheesecakes
- Ooey Gooey S’mores Brownies
- Raspberry White Chocolate Cheesecake Dip
- Strawberry Cream Swiss Roll
So let me tell you about this delicious no-bake summer fruit icebox cake. It’s layers of graham crackers and the most luscious homemade vanilla pudding chilled in the fridge overnight which results in gorgeous clean slices. It’s basically the easiest dessert you’ve ever made.
Now you might think about using pre-made vanilla pudding or pudding mix. If that’s what you prefer, I cannot come to your home and tell you not to do that. But I can promise you that you won’t enjoy it as much because this homemade vanilla pudding is beyond delicious.
Changes you can make in this summer fruit icebox cake:
- Use fruit in the layers too.
- Have more layers than three.
- Top with different berries such as raspberries, blueberries and blackberries.
- You can even change the flavor of the pudding to something else such as banana or chocolate!
Tools used in this summer fruit icebox cake recipe:
- Sauce Pan: This is a great one to work with.
- Square Baking Pan: I love this one. I use it all the time.
- Whisk: This one is so handy. Perfect if you want a whisk to work with often.
Summer Fruit Icebox Cake
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 eggs
- 5 cups milk
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 14 graham crackers
- 4 - 5 strawberries cut in half
- 4 pineapple slices
- 2 kiwis cut into pieces
- Whisk granulated sugar and corn starch in a large sauce pan or pot.
- Add in eggs, whisk well until combined.
- Add in milk and mix well.
- Place the sauce pan over medium heat and cook until it starts to bubble and thickens. Stir constantly to prevent from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the pudding reaches desired thickness, remove from the heat, add in the butter and vanilla extract. Mix well until butter is fully melted and incorporated.
- Cover the pudding with plastic wrap (the wrap must touch the surface) and place in the fridge until it's completely cool, about an hour.
- Take a 9X9 pan and place 4 1/2 pieces of graham crackers at the bottom.
- Top with 1/3 of the vanilla pudding.
- Repeat the layers with the remaining graham crackers and vanilla pudding. The last layer is vanilla pudding.
- Chill the icebox cake in the fridge for 3 - 4 hours (overnight is preferred)
- Top with strawberries, kiwis and pineapple slices.
This post contains affiliate links.