Bring summer to the table with this watermelon salad that's ready in 10 minutes! Sweet watermelon pairs well with salty feta and cucumbers, making this feta watermelon salad recipe a delicious summer treat.
Growing up in Iran, Watermelon season was and still is my favorite. And to this day, you can still find me enjoying sweet watermelon all season in different ways. Whether it's enjoying refreshing and thirst-quenching watermelon juice or enjoying this watermelon feta salad served in one of my cookouts, there is always a fun way to enjoy this sweet fruit!
Table Of Contents:
Why This Recipe Works
- Flavors: The refreshing combination of feta, watermelon and cucumber screams summer! Sweet, tangy and salty, this watermelon salad will throw a party for your tastebuds! If you love fruit in salads as much as I do, I highly recommend trying my grilled peach salad as well!
- Easy: With just a few simple steps of chopping and mixing, this salad comes together effortlessly. The ingredients are so flavorful that you don't even need to prepare a separate dressing for it.
- Versatile: This salad can be easily customized to suit your preferences. While the watermelon, feta, and cucumber form the base, you can add or omit other ingredients according to your taste. As long as you have the core elements, you're all set to enjoy this salad in your unique way!
Watermelon Salad Ingredients
- Watermelon: Opt for a sweet and crisp watermelon for an extra delicious salad. Seedless watermelon works best for this recipe. Learn how to pick the best watermelon every time.
- Cucumbers: You can use either English or Persian cucumbers for this recipe.
- Feta: As always, it's best to get a block of feta in brine and cube or crumble it yourself.
- Kalamata olives: These olives add a touch of saltiness and complement the feta beautifully.
- Walnuts: A must for me when it comes to this watermelon feta salad recipe. The crunch is so good!
- Mint leaves: Fresh mint leaves infuse the salad with a burst of freshness and the essence of summer.
- Lime and olive oil: A touch of acidity from lime zest and juice, along with the richness of extra virgin olive oil, brings all the flavors together harmoniously.
How To Make Watermelon Salad
- Start by cutting the watermelon into small, ½ to 1 inch cubes. You can check out my tutorial on how to cut a watermelon for step-by-step instructions.
- Add the watermelon cubes to a large, shallow bowl and to with chopped cucumbers, kalamata olives and walnuts.
- Finish with feta and chopped mint. Add the zest and juice of the lime and drizzle with olive oil.
- Give it a light gentle toss and serve immediately.
While this watermelon feta salad is perfect just the way it is, I have gathered a few alternatives for you to try:
- Greens: Include other herbs like basil and parsley or add greens such as spinach or arugula.
- Red onion: For an extra flavor kick, thinly slice some red onion and add it to the salad.
- Avocado: Balance out the flavors and introduce some creaminess by including diced avocado.
- Nuts: Instead of walnuts, add pistachios or pecans, so good with feta!
This watermelon cucumber salad is perfect for summer barbecues! Pair it with dishes like beef shish kabob, kofta kebab, harissa grilled chicken thighs or grilled lamb chops for a delicious combination.
Due to the high water content of watermelon and cucumber, it's best to serve and consume this salad immediately. However, if you happen to have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, there is no need to peel or seed the cucumbers for this watermelon feta salad recipe.
Unfortunately, it's not recommended to make this salad ahead of time, as the watermelon will release its juice and make the salad soggy. However, you can cube the watermelon a day or two in advance and store it in an airtight container.
If you prefer, you can omit the walnuts altogether or substitute them with pistachios or pecans for a delightful pairing with feta.
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to hear about it! Please comment and leave a 5-star🌟 rating below. You can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or subscribe to our newsletter to get a free e-Cookbook!
Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint
- 6 cups cubed watermelon
- 2 Persian cucumbers chopped
- ½ cup kalamata olives halved
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- ½ cup mint leaves chopped
- ½ cup cubed feta
- 1 lime
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Place the watermelon cubes in a large bowl. Add in the cucumbers, kalamata olives and walnuts.
- Add the cubed feta and chopped mint. Using a microplane, zest the lime and add it to the salad.
- Add the lime juice, salt and olive oil.
- Give it a toss and serve immediately.
- You can either cube the feta or crumble it to make this salad. Use more feta if you like the salad saltier.
- Make sure the watermelon cubes are small enough to serve.
- It's best to finish this salad the same day because both cucumber and watermelon have high water content. However, if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To jazz up your watermelon salad, add other vegetables such as avocados or red onion.